What's new

Feather SS AS-D1 / Learning Curve and Non Feather Blades

Aloha.
New to Feather AS-D1 , first few shaves , from Merkur 38C HD .
Feather requires a different technique ; shorter , slower , strokes at a steeper angle , with less pressure .
And I changed my grip , more similar to the Charles Roberts Method Shaving dart and soup spoon grips .
I like the Merkur but Feather gave a smoother less irritating shave , and in some respects closer too .
Still haven't nailed the neck .
I've had smoother closer shaves with Personna Israeli Reds than the Feather blades which surprised me .
And AOS unscented cream has worked better than Klar Classic , which is a great soap .
I face brushed with a Simpsons PJ3SB and am waiting on a newly purchased Thater 4125/0 2-Band .
Think I'll work with this basic set-up for a while .
But I'm curious to try the Feather Artist Club SS Japanese Style , and an r41 .

Last edited:
I found the Feather rewards experimentation also. If you get the chance, try it with Gillette 7 o'clock "Black" blades. IMHO they're sharp like the Feather blades and smooth like the Personna Reds.

I found the Feather rewards experimentation also. If you get the chance, try it with Gillette 7 o'clock "Black" blades. IMHO they're sharp like the Feather blades and smooth like the Personna Reds.
Thanks ! I tried them last night ; sharp like Feather and smoove like the Personna Reds .

I've used only two different blades in my Feather AS-D1: Feather and Astra. I prefer the Feather blades, though the Astras are not bad at all. The Feathers seem a little sharper. Both blades last well enough until I toss them out after three shaves.

As for a learning curve with the AS-D1, after coming from a Merkur 38C and also using an EJ D89 something, I don't think it is any different than learning to use any other DE. And I don't think it has a terribly narrow sweet spot, either. It is just very mild (and safe!). I get very close, very comfortable shaves with it in three passes with a little touch up.

Last edited:
I've used only two different blades in my Feather AS-D1: Feather and Astra. I prefer the Feather blades, though the Astras are not bad at all. The Feathers seem a little sharper. Both blades last well enough until I toss them out after three shaves.

As for a learning curve with the AS-D1, after coming from a Merkur 38C and also using an EJ D89 something, I don't think it is any different than learning to use any other DE. And I don't think it has a terribly narrow sweet spot, either. It is just very mild (and safe!). I get very close, very comfortable shaves with it in three passes with a little touch up.

What's your pre-shave prep ?

As for a learning curve with the AS-D1, after coming from a Merkur 38C and also usingthr sweet pot and the an EJ D89 something, I don't think it is any different than learning to use any other DE. And I don't think it has a terribly narrow sweet spot, either. It is just very mild (and safe!). I get very close, very comfortable shaves with it in three passes with a little touch up.

+1. Completely agree with your comments about the sweet spot and the learning curve. If mild means a smooth, irritation free shave with a stunning razor than I take the Feather any day.

My prep is simply a hot shower beforehand, with a bar of bath soap and a washcloth to scrub my face and body--always. I will never try shaving without showering first. However, no conditioner, and no pre-shave oil.

During the shave, I use plenty of hot water from the sink bowl, and I re-lather with a good brush and good soap/cream before each pass.

One final point: I never try for a perfect BBS shave; DFS is just fine for me (though I usually get better than that most days).

One more final point (!): the Feather AS-D1 is loud! You can clearly hear when it is cutting.

Last edited:
My prep is simply a hot shower beforehand, with a bar of bath soap and a washcloth to scrub my face and body--always. I will never try shaving without showering first. However, no conditioner, and no pre-shave oil.

During the shave, I use plenty of hot water from the sink bowl, and I re-lather with a good brush and good soap/cream before each pass.

One final point: I never try for a perfect BBS shave; DFS is just fine for me (though I usually get better than that most days).

One more final point (!): the Feather AS-D1 is loud! You can clearly hear when it is cutting.

Which is your brush of choice , soap , cream ?
I agree about never try for a perfect BBS ; don't swing for the fences , just connect with the ball .
I shaved again with the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black's and confirmed my initial impression ; sharp like Feather and smoove like the Personna Reds .

Last edited:
^ Either a Vie-Long horsehair brush or, if traveling, a Simpson Major, and GFT Coconut Oil, Rose, or Violet cream. Yum!

here is a trick i found. just tighten the as-d1's handle loosely. like just till it stops then back off a drop. that makes a bigger gap on the comb. the razor should get closer and still not be aggressive at all.

here is a trick i found. just tighten the as-d1's handle loosely. like just till it stops then back off a drop. that makes a bigger gap on the comb. the razor should get closer and still not be aggressive at all.

Sweet Sassy Mollasy I just shaved using your suggestion and my feathers performance was 10 fold. Serious everyone that has a feather should try this right now. I turned my head right to the end when it was fully tight then turned it back a bit. While I was shaving i could feel the head getting a bit looser but the aggesiveness was way more then usual and this gave me a very close shave. Today i had 3 days of growth and my feather destroyed my beard. Normally before i had to do 10 minutes of buffing after my 3 passes but not this time BBS shave after 3 passes.

This is a callout to all Feather owners your shave will totally be different in a good way please try this trick

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Sweet Sassy Mollasy I just shaved using your suggestion and my feathers performance was 10 fold. Serious everyone that has a feather should try this right now. I turned my head right to the end when it was fully tight then turned it back a bit. While I was shaving i could feel the head getting a bit looser but the aggesiveness was way more then usual and this gave me a very close shave. Today i had 3 days of growth and my feather destroyed my beard. Normally before i had to do 10 minutes of buffing after my 3 passes but not this time BBS shave after 3 passes.

This is a callout to all Feather owners your shave will totally be different in a good way please try this trick

Someone should figure out a long term solution. Maybe some washer shims of differing thickness to customize the aggressiveness? Or maybe a dowel inside the handle to limit the travel of the threaded end?

I tried that trick today, too. Wow! Much more blade exposure. I kind of like it. It really doesn't take much loosening to really expose the blade. It would be nice to find a very thin washer or shim to accomplish this while allowing the handle to be snugged tight.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My long-term solution is a Tradere, Cobra, Ikon, Feather, rotation.
Tradere>Feather w/shims

Well I have a bunch of Kamisori and Western folding straights, 2 Feather AC's and a Feather DS, so your long term solution wouldn't work for me as the last thing I would do is buy another safety razor. ;). I haven't touched a DE in 18 months so the shim trick would be for emergencies only.

I tried that trick today, too. Wow! Much more blade exposure. I kind of like it. It really doesn't take much loosening to really expose the blade. It would be nice to find a very thin washer or shim to accomplish this while allowing the handle to be snugged tight.

Is there a chance that this could damage the threads on the long term? Im going to try this again tonight

What some folks do is trim the edges off a razor blade and put that under your cutting blade. Blades are thin enough they cut like paper using regular scissors.

One or two make a world of difference on a three piece.

What some folks do is trim the edges off a razor blade and put that under your cutting blade. Blades are thin enough they cut like paper using regular scissors.

One or two make a world of difference on a three piece.

does this trick work well with the feather razor?

I just cut the edges off an old blade (it was very easy to do with kitchen scissors) and popped it under a new Feather blade. The blade gap is now noticeably greater, and the handle is snug. I will report back after I shave with it a bit later today. (I'm on vacation today; hence the late morning hour without yet having shaven.)

Top Bottom