What's new

Feather SR kamisori

Okay, let us know the outcome .

Thanks
I just arrived home and I looked at my SR and it is the same as yours.

So nothing wrong with it.

If you don't use the blade injector then loading an AC blade can be a little tricky for a new user .

Obviously, carry on with the process with your vendor for your peace of mind.

Sorry, I said IF they want to. They haven't replied that fast! 🤪

I still don't think it is right, I went to put the blade back in and had to force it with my fingernail. It wouldn't go in straight because of the bind and I had to wiggle it in and out several times.

Sorry, I said IF they want to. They haven't replied that fast! 🤪

I still don't think it is right, I went to put the blade back in and had to force it with my fingernail. It wouldn't go in straight because of the bind and I had to wiggle it in and out several times.
Let us see what they say.

Hey, thanks for the reply! Being curious as I am, the first thing I did was take it apart. The pins are engaged and it's all together and holds the blade, but I am not sure about compressing the leaf spring. Mine made a clicking sound right out of the package which, when I took it apart, I believe is coming from the leaf spring. I fiddled with it quite a lot, but it just went back together the way I got it. I suspect the leaf spring is binding on something on the casting, but am not going to attempt a fix since it shaves.

Thank you for the idea about adjusting the dispenser. I will probably resort to the tweezer method because of how much force it takes to get the blade started in. I don't want to slip and cut myself.

I am two shaves in with no problems so the difficult loading isn't affecting the shave and I don't have to worry about the blade slipping out. Luckily, I shouldn't have to change the blade too often.
Sounds like you might already be sorting this out with the vendor. If not, maybe you could take a photo of the inside faces of each half the next time that you take it apart. Other members might be able to visually compare yours to theirs to see what the difference (root cause) might be. It sounds like something is not sitting properly, that either the leaf spring was not pushed down and sitting too high up on the post or the groove/slot/clearance for the leaf spring was not cut/manufactured properly in the other half so that there is not enough space for it to compress when you apply pressure.

Hopefully the vendor is helping to get it sorted out. And that you can continue to enjoy shaving with it.

Here is my attempt from the bottom, this shows how the front doesn't open

View attachment 1366712

I sent them a detailed description and photos, pretty sure they will make it right.
That looks tight at the toe but about right towards heel. If you moved your thumb and index finger closer to the toe will the gap there get larger? I do not own a Feather SR but my Feather DX does not open up very much. I think that is by design, that it is meant to open far enough to accept a Feather Professional blade and the slightly thicker Feather Super Professional blade from the magazine, but that is about it. These razors will only open up about as wide as the backside gap on the spine. In that regard the lower tolerance and lesser finished AC clones from China can be easier to use, as their springs are little less strong and the faces don't fit as tightly together, making them easier to load and unload blades by hand.

Hopefully the vendor is helping to get it sorted out. And that you can continue to enjoy shaving with it.
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am about 90% certain the two springs aren't putting even pressure on the door creating an uneven gap. I am also reasonably certain that this is a mismatched parts lottery unlike CNC razors. I wouldn't mind if the gap was even when the blade is in, but it is not. I do have a picture of the inside, but I will hold off uploading it until later. I will of course continue to enjoy shaving with it, but considering the price I am a bit annoyed.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am about 90% certain the two springs aren't putting even pressure on the door creating an uneven gap. I am also reasonably certain that this is a mismatched parts lottery unlike CNC razors. I wouldn't mind if the gap was even when the blade is in, but it is not. I do have a picture of the inside, but I will hold off uploading it until later. I will of course continue to enjoy shaving with it, but considering the price I am a bit annoyed.
I would be annoyed as well. If this was a sub $20 AliExpress razor then some poor workmanship or quality control could be tolerated, but this should be a first quality item.

Well, I just got even more annoying news. They are going to replace it, but instead of emailing me a return label to print they gave me an address. So I have to spend consumer rate to get it to them which means, in the US, a priority mail pre-paid box. Amazon, you just take it to UPS and leave it to them. Maybe they will do something nice to make up for the cost and trouble. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I got a look at the design of the inside of the Kai Kasho and the single spring seems like a better idea. I also saw the razor being pinched open and closed and it clearly shows an even gap and full opening. I guess I am going to order one to compare. Is there any compelling reason to consider getting the DX instead while it is on sale in the US?

Edit 2: I have let them know that I want the DX as a replacement for only $26 more. The Kai Captain and the Feather SR are too similar in shape if I am going to buy the Kai at some point.

Last edited:
@Euro_Lander
Thanks for the picture demonstrating the opening for the blade above.

I have received a reply from Jatai/Feather and...

They are refunding my purchase after they receive the defective handle. I sent it this morning and am out $16 for the trouble. Plus a total of $28 more and...

As advised, I placed a new order for a DX. Total cost now $156, I think I still saved some money. I will have to put off buying a Kai kami for a while after making an unplanned purchase this morning. Let's hope this thing isn't too much more aggressive than the SR, I was already comfortable with it after only 2 shaves.

I will start a new thread after I go through the first blade with DX so I don't clog up your thread anymore. Thank you for all the advise and I still look forward to hearing your experience long term as you have more experience with kamis.

Yep, I got a tight one. Mine won't open enough for the injector to push the blade in and won't go all the way down without some persuasion. I have to move the blade out of the injector slightly and force it in then re-engage the injector. But it is so tight that it twists the injector when trying to load it all the way down. I was really looking forward to it being as easy as these videos. Oh well, at least I got it on sale. Thanks.
Forget using the loader. I never use it. Just get a blade out of the pack and hold it in your hand. Then squeeze the back of the razor enough to drop the blade in, and that's it. Easy peasy.

Forget using the loader. I never use it. Just get a blade out of the pack and hold it in your hand. Then squeeze the back of the razor enough to drop the blade in, and that's it. Easy peasy.
Yep, it is now with the DX that replaced the SR. Thanks!

Edit: Oh no, I am not allowed in this thread, eject, eject! Sorry :biggrin:

I picked up a Feather SR kamisori from Jatai.net with their Black Friday pricing and I am blown away how comfortable it shaves! I had probably my best shave yet with any of my AC style razors. It is also heavier than my other AC style razors (including my stainless steel Kai Captain standard R-type folding razor). I really like the grip of the handle which I prefer over my CJB GR-100B.

I was concerned that the blade holder was not opening up very wide to drop in a blade but found that if you pinch at the very end of the blade holder (towards the handle) that it opens the blade holder the best/widest.

IMG_20211130_061013243.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a Feather SR kamisori from Jatai.net with their Black Friday pricing and I am blown away how comfortable it shaves! I had probably my best shave yet with any of my AC style razors. It is also heavier than my other AC style razors (including my stainless steel Kai Captain standard R-type folding razor). I really like the grip of the handle which I prefer over my CJB GR-100B.

I was concerned that the blade holder was not opening up very wide to drop in a blade but found that if you pinch at the very end of the blade holder (towards the handle) that it opens the blade holder the best/widest.

View attachment 1370447
I have already mentioned how to in link below.

Gap.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom