What's new

Feather SR and SS Razors

Other than weight, are there any differences between the above razors? Can both take the Pro Guard blades?

I don't use any of these razors but a friend wants to give one of these a try. He currently shaves with a Karve razor with the D plate. He said he has never tried a SR and would like either the SR or SS.

Is one easier to use than the other? Do they provide the same close shave?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Other than weight, are there any differences between the above razors? Can both take the Pro Guard blades? Is one easier to use than the other? Do they provide the same close shave?

I've used both. I have yet to use a Feather DX; I'm waiting for my son to decide he wants an SR instead. :)

I use them for head shaving, so factor that in. The SS has a swelling or bump that is supposed to provide a bit of extra skin stretching. I've always needed to stretch, anyway. The bump also often leads to using the razor at a steeper angle than optimal. This is worse in head shaving because the curves are tighter radius and also not much "padding" under the skin. Rolling the razor up is the only way to get steel on skin in some spots.

The SR has less of a bump. I can compare it favourably to my Kasho Woody and my Luffy clone. The angle is less, and there's less tendency to push the razor into steep angle territory.

I can get good shaves with both, but I prefer the shaves with the SR. I do fewer passes, there's less danger of a nick, and it's just overall more comfortable.

I don't use guarded blades, but I have tried them in the past. They fit. Better do, the blades and razor are designed by the same company!

O.H.

Those two razors shave differently, if he gets into the Feather system, he may eventually get both to determine what he likes best. To oversimplify the SS is more forgiving while the SR shaves more closely. Though to be clear I have only used the DX and not an SR. I find that SS can give a nice presentable shave in record time with minimal risk of nicks. Either razor should be a good choice, though he if is really looking for an open blade experience the SR is probably the better choice. The various Feather blades work with both.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Is one easier to use than the other?

I found the SS pretty easy to learn. I only have 45 haves with it, but I can easily achieve a zero irritation shave, I just can't get a close close with it. I acquired an SR and only have 15 shaves with it. Obviously, I'm still learning, but the SR seems more intuitive to use. It's possible I think the SR is easier because I started with the SS. Maybe starting with the SR would have been difficult, I don't know.

Do they provide the same close shave?

In my experience absolutely not. I can achieve a close shave using the SR but not the SS. I tried the Pro Super blades and they didn't seem to make any noticeable improvement. I tried different angles, different consistency of lather, and lots of inward pressure. Maybe its me and my lack of experience, but I dont have a problem achieving a close shave using the SR.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I found the SS pretty easy to learn. I only have 45 haves with it, but I can easily achieve a zero irritation shave, I just can't get a close close with it. I acquired an SR and only have 15 shaves with it. Obviously, I'm still learning, but the SR seems more intuitive to use. It's possible I think the SR is easier because I started with the SS. Maybe starting with the SR would have been difficult, I don't know.

In my experience absolutely not. I can achieve a close shave using the SR but not the SS. I tried the Pro Super blades and they didn't seem to make any noticeable improvement. I tried different angles, different consistency of lather, and lots of inward pressure. Maybe its me and my lack of experience, but I dont have a problem achieving a close shave using the SR.
I agree that the SR is easier to start with but you do have the maintenance problem with the SR and for that reason, beginning with a shavette may be the better.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I agree that the SR is easier to start with but you do have the maintenance problem with the SR and for that reason, beginning with a shavette may be the better.

By "SR" I meant the Feather AC SR model of shavette, aka the "Super Razor." Sorry if that wasn't clear. There's so many acronyms they someties overlap.

I love my SS but the bump makes ATG tricky. I have to flatten it and produce downward pressure. Has anybody with an SS experienced this? Does the SR design solve this?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I love my SS but the bump makes ATG tricky. I have to flatten it and produce downward pressure. Has anybody with an SS experienced this? Does the SR design solve this?

Especially tricky for head shaving, in my experience. And yes, the SR seems to solve the problem.

O.H.

Interesting thread. As with everything in this world, people's experiences vary - here's my take.

When I started shaving with a straight, I bought an AC SS folding razor. Soon got a kami version of the same - wonderful (like @Old Hippie I head shave, and the kami is very good for this).

My shaves improved with practice. Quite soon I was getting irritation-free shaves, but still nicked myself a bit. Within maybe 9-12 months (not quite sure maybe less) I was frequently getting blood-free shaves.

I was interested in the AC SR, and bought one quite recently - I'd wanted a kami, but the folding one turned up and I decided to keep it.

The SR is noticeably more positive, and does not reward the same technique as the SS. As @StillShaving points out, they are different. The SR rewards a very light touch, whereas the SS benefits from a degree of inward pressure to bring the lip into action. On the head this can be frustrating, as the knobbly topology of my skull requires a lot of angle changes in one pass.

I had to unlearn the latter technique to get nice shaves from the SR, but all in all I feel it's a better razor for me. I still use both, but the SR is my daily go-to.

I'd think that solely for face shaving either will do very nicely, but the AC SR is a better tool to learn if your friend wants to progress to true straight razors. The SS may be a little easier to begin with, but it's swings and roundabouts really!

There are some very thoughtful comments above. Yes, all the Feather holders will take all the Feather AC blades, as well as all the other AC blades.

I've been an AC shaver for very long time now and I have many different holders. Of the four Feather AC holder versions: Feather RG, Feather DX, Feather SS, and Feather SR, I have found the new Super Razor (SR) (keeping the blade constant with the standard Feather Pro PB-20) the most easily useable of their offerings. By that, I mean the easiest to get a very close shave with the least amount of concentration. It is an excellent razor, but mine cost me about $100 directly from Japan through my Amazon Japan account- less than the DX, but more than the SS version.

I'm able to get close shaves with all of the versions, but the SS seems both the most forgiving and the hardest for me to get to BBS. The DX version may shave me just a tad closer than the others, but does require a bit more concentration. For those who may not recall, the discontinued Feather RG is the DX design, but made in another metal, maybe brass (?), it's a bit heavier and plated. A used one of these is hard to find, but they're good shavers.

The really nice thing about the Feather AC system is that by varying the blade you use, you can adjust the shave quite a lot. For example, the DX handle and a guarded blade like the Protouch MG, my favorite of the guarded blades, make the DX a much softer and very pleasant shaver.

Rather than delve into all the versions, by all the different makers, for one who just wants to give an AC razor a try, he might wish to consider the Sapphoo G1105 from China via AliExpress- about $15 and a nice Kai Luffy clone. This razor falls between the Feather SS and SR in the way it shaves for me. The Chinese made blades often sold with it were not great, I've used some but they're not much fun.

If it has to be a Feather handle, my nod would go to the new SR version.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I had both, sold the SS, kept the AC. TBO I think the SS was easier to use, but the technique was a little different compared to the AC and conventional straights. If he is prone to collecting and may want to veer off into conventional straights the AC would be better, if he is the one razor kinda of guy the SS might be easier to learn on.

The really nice thing about the Feather AC system is that by varying the blade you use, you can adjust the shave quite a lot. For example, the DX handle and a guarded blade like the Protouch MG, my favorite of the guarded blades, make the DX a much softer and very pleasant shaver.

Yes, definitely. I've found my sweet spot with the AC SS is with the Pro Super blade. It's a fast and very comfy shave. On the AC SR, it's with Pro blades.

Top Bottom