What's new

Feather Razors from Japan

i am looking to buy a feather DX Razor (either plastic or teak scales) and have seen posts on EBay from Japan that are significantly cheaper than from local suppliers. Are these possibly fakes? Or will there be significant duties (I am in Canada) that will make up for the price difference.

I've bought a lot from Japanese eBay sellers over the years, my Feather DX included. The sellers have always been first class and the shipping has been unbelievably fast. If you buy from a professional seller they often state clearly that they under NO circumstances will mark down the goods and that any VAT or other fees is up to you and your country's authorities. In short: do you feel lucky when it comes to your customs office?

I don't know anybody that's ever been cheated by a Japanese seller, regardless of sales channel. I'd say that the chances of buying a fake Feather DX from Japan are nil.

If I by some mishap would loose my DX I'd be happy to pay the extra cost to get an replacement with teak scales. Mine has plastic scales. The DX is a grim teacher, but a fantastic shaver.

Finally: coming from the country that turned effective and uncorrupted bureaucracy into a lifestyle and common mindset already 350 years ago I can't do anything but to salute the Japanese.

I've bought a lot from Japanese eBay sellers over the years, my Feather DX included. The sellers have always been first class and the shipping has been unbelievably fast. If you buy from a professional seller they often state clearly that they under NO circumstances will mark down the goods and that any VAT or other fees is up to you and your country's authorities. In short: do you feel lucky when it comes to your customs office?

I don't know anybody that's ever been cheated by a Japanese seller, regardless of sales channel. I'd say that the chances of buying a fake Feather DX from Japan are nil.

If I by some mishap would loose my DX I'd be happy to pay the extra cost to get an replacement with teak scales. Mine has plastic scales. The DX is a grim teacher, but a fantastic shaver.

Finally: coming from the country that turned effective and uncorrupted bureaucracy into a lifestyle and common mindset already 350 years ago I can't do anything but to salute the Japanese.

I love everything you wrote here. Including grim teacher, I'm still learning

Jdm products are some times significantly cheaper. An example I'm familiar with is Shimano fishing reels. A top of the line Stella is 750-900 in the US. You can buy a Japanese domestic market version for 550-600. Now it's exactly the same reel, but Shimano USA will refuse to service it. So you lose warranty coverage. The good retailers will take them back, submit them for service in Japan, but you have to pay the 40-60 dollars shipping both ways. Kind of a gray market deal.

The difference in cost includes the relative strength of the dollar, avoidance of tax, import fees, and cost of US marketing/operations, and maybe some other costs I'm not aware of. It's a strange situation, but legit.

Little bit late to the party but I ordered my Kai Captain through Japanese Ebay seller "eina-japan" they were much cheaper than Canadian Prices. They shipped quickly and product was exactly as described. I have since ordered a AC DX in teakwood off them and it is enroute.

Top Bottom