What's new

Feather razor

Feather Popular vs Feather DER-A. What's the difference? Should I buy a Feather DER-A adjustable safety razor if I already have a Popular model?

If you like really your Feather Popular, then I don't think there is much reason to get the DER-Adjustable. Unless you think you might like having a larger blade gap or think you might prefer the handle shape.

I like the Popular, I originally purchased for the purpose of having a better travel razor, but have not used it since before the pandemic. When the DER-A was released I thought about purchasing one to try it out but never did.

I use vintage razors, but I need a travel razor. I just love light razors no more than 60 grams.

So why not a Gillette Tech for travel ?

Even there are the version with a tiny dwarfed handle, called Gillette Travel Tech. Around $ 10 at famous auction site.
I am using Old and New models. Short handle for women. Milady version.

Reactions: edw
Be advised. I bought my Popular 14 years ago. The blade exposure on one side is more than the other. This was how I received it. So for me this razor is crap. I like plastic razors, but not this one for obvious reasons. I love the discontinued Feather Portable, but that's a completely different story.

Chinese P&G Gillette Super Blue Tech weighs probably less than 25 grams and costs peanuts.

Edit: 18 grams :)
1D33DB6F-A300-4CCD-B461-42DFEBEBD169.jpeg

Chinese P&G Gillette Super Blue Tech weighs probably less than 25 grams and costs peanuts.

Edit: 18 grams :)
View attachment 1497096
I had a razor similar to that, I think mine was branded as a Bali. It shaved pretty well and I liked using it but the threads became worn/stripped after a few years of travel usage and the cap would no longer hold. I went back to using my plastic click razor but I did not enjoy using it very much.

So I bought a Feather Popular after hearing that it was a mild shaver and lightweight. I found the fit and finish to be quite good for a mostly plastic razor. And I liked the mild but efficient enough shave results. Allowing me to shave quickly (when in a rush) without fear of getting nicked. I also liked that it was a TTO, making it easy to rinse the blade. Being a single piece made it easier to gather up and quickly pack back into the travel bag. It is not like a 3-piece razor is difficult to manage, but having a single piece razor is a little easier when traveling to new places, where the bathroom sink/vanity is very basic and there is not much room to spread out.

Before the pandemic I was getting comfortable enough with my shavette that I started to bring that instead. But I still view the Popular as my default travel razor when packing a bag.

Something that hasn't been mentioned here for travel are full Aluminum razors. Light and they do the job like their heavier metal razor counterparts. ATT aluminum (my travel razor), Razorock Lupo DE, Karve aluminum etc..
And for full weight, Fatip's are a good choice. They're brass, they look good, they shave good and they're cheap!
For me a plastic razor is a no go for travel. If it snaps for whatever reason, I'm out of a shave or running to a store for a cartridge razor😒
I have a "Made in Japan" Feather Popular and used it once just to try it.
That one shave took about 175 passes to get any efficiency🤣
Ever since then, it's been stored in it's case. Too cheap and too charming to sell so I might as well keep it!

Last edited:
Something that hasn't been mentioned here for travel are full Aluminum razors. Light and they do the job like their heavier metal razor counterparts. ATT aluminum (my travel razor), Razorock Lupo DE, Karve aluminum etc..
And for full weight, Fatip's are a good choice. They're brass, they look good, they shave good and they're cheap!
For me a plastic razor is a no go for travel. If it snaps for whatever reason, I'm out of a shave or running to a store for a cartridge razor😒
Ever since then, it's been stored in it's case. Too cheap and too charming to sell so I might as well keep it!
Put a Feather in and try again :)

I have no explanation for it but somehow I prefer a three piece over a TTO for traveling.

I don't need to travel light like an assassin. Something like a stainless steel Lupo will do just fine.
I need to cut down on all the other stuff I bring with me when I travel.
I travel allot for business. I have never lost a bag yet.

Feather Popular vs Feather DER-A. What's the difference? Should I buy a Feather DER-A adjustable safety razor if I already have a Popular model?
I wouldn't. The good thing about the Feather Popular is that it's a decent inexpensive razor. The Feather DER-A is really just an expensive Feather Popular with a thicker handle and a gimmick to give it one adjustment. If you want an adjustable razor there are better options you could put the money towards.

Last edited:

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
"Buy Feather AS-D2 and use Popular for travel."
No one seems to have mentioned this option, so I'm adding it.

If I were to vote, the "Gillette Super Blue Tech" mentioned by the gentleman earlier is a very affordable and effective option.
If you like to reduce weight, there is also a 6g one-piece razor "Gillette Click".

Top Bottom