What's new

Feather Pro Guard

You have a point.

I think at one time I tried all the other blades save the Pro because, well, "silly." Clearly the blades I was using had won the day for both close and smoothness at one point. Today, the Pro wins the day. I'm glad I opened my mind and tried them. I can't believe how much more I like them. I'm just glad I didn't try when I still had a stash of my other blades laying about.

Maybe something has changed with me. I've just discovered that I actually like some pre-shaves as well lol! That was another thing I looked at and thought, well, silly. Crazy.
I like the Pros the best. I used the ProGuard at first, switched to the Pros and liked those best. I even tried the Supers in my ATT SE1 but didn't like them. They were too aggressive for me and gave me horrible razor burn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They're very sharp. IMO, they're sharper than any tradition straight but more forgiving than a DE shavette.

So from 1 to 7 {7 is the sharpest} what note would you put on the Proguard and to a shave ready razor ?

Thanks

They're very sharp. IMO, they're sharper than any tradition straight but more forgiving than a DE shavette.

agree.

arko simpson wee scot feather royall musk february 2 2019.jpg

So from 1 to 7 {7 is the sharpest} what note would you put on the Proguard and to a shave ready razor ?

Thanks
the short answer is, they are both a 7 in sharpness (on your scale) the diference is no matter how sharp the proguard blades are, the wire cage is never gonna let the edge be as close to your skin as other blades or a shave ready straight is gonna be, but just as @Earcutter stated in his OP is not a matter of sharpness, is a matter of skill, if you know what you are doing, you can get just as good of a shave with a proguard than with any other blade, the difference is how smooth the actual shave is gonna be, and I agree, I love the pros, but the proguards are the way to go for a no fuzz all bliss shave!

Hmmm, tough call. I would say if a Feather is an 8 or 9, a shave ready straight is probably a 6 or 7.
That’s interesting. It’s as though you feel a Feather is some kind of magic laser or something lol. I on the other hand really like my Feather, but know that my straights are just as “sharp.” You need to ship me your favorite straight so I can put an edge on it. You’ll change your tune fast enough I’m sure.

That’s interesting. It’s as though you feel a Feather is some kind of magic laser or something lol. I on the other hand really like my Feather, but know that my straights are just as “sharp.” You need to ship me your favorite straight so I can put an edge on it. You’ll change your tune fast enough I’m sure.

I doubt it.

Just took the plunge on a feather artist club ss kamisori-style. This will be my first open blade so I am playing it safe (I think) and starting with ProGuards.

Just took the plunge on a feather artist club ss kamisori-style. This will be my first open blade so I am playing it safe (I think) and starting with ProGuards.
let us know how it goes, but I feel you will like it, my only advise is use a really light touch, as it will feel light and the temptation to add pressure will ensue, but just be patient and let the razor do the work

You got the best in my opinion. Feather has a good system which holds the blade securely. The ProGuards will serve you well.

Feather AC SS is showing just how bad my technique is! Getting better but I am only using it on the occasional weekend so improvement is slow. Angle, soap, pressure, and angle!

Feather AC SS is showing just how bad my technique is! Getting better but I am only using it on the occasional weekend so improvement is slow. Angle, soap, pressure, and angle!

@Jenks FYI, you really, really need a shallow angle to get the most out of the Feather. The spine needs to be so close to the face you’d think it was flat! It’s not intuitive how shallow the angle should be - and even after you find it, you’ll doubt yourself and go steeper again. But once you get there, it’s really, really rewarding. Hang tough man, I’m rooting for you!

@Kealon7 -- Thanks for the tip. Will be watching Thomas tonight.

@Earcutter -- I am pretty good with the flat bits. My problem is maintaining the proper angle on the edges and pointy bits of my face. Particularly with the scar on the point of my chin. Practice, practice, practice.

Feather AC razor with Proguard blade is, IMHO, the ultimate peak of shaving technology!
My only suggestion is to have an even thinner blade holder, so we can take one or two degrees off the blade angle.

feather proguard-4990-Edit.jpg

Top Bottom