What's new

Feather Popular Questions

The Feather is a great travel razor. A mild shaver that works well, especially when there are uncertainties about water type in random hotel rooms and one is too jetlagged to be extra careful. Not that I (ahem. 3 o'clock wake up call) would know.

Pros:
- inexpensive (ok, you can get a decent Chinese metal razor for less)
- easy to use (butterfly)
- extremely mild and forgiving even with a Kai or Feather blade, one of the razors one can recommend to those who change from years of Mach3 & Co. (mis-)use
- looks quite nice
- comes with a box which makes it a good convienent travel razor for some (I personally don't mind a box)
- one of those razors you can still use to look presentable even in case your skin needs time to recover

Cons:
- far far too much plastic
- not very durable mechanics, blade allignment get's a bit finicky after a year or so of use
- needs a very sharp blade
- needs a lot of attention on technique while shaving (otherwise you won't get a consistent shave or it won't shave at all)

Personally, I wouldn't buy it again. A dead cheap three piece Chinese razor does the same job without the plastic, and as far as butterlys goes, I still prefer a vintage 1940's style Gillette SuperSpeed/Rocket/Parat which are around 20 bucks and willl last longer than my lifetime.

Bought one 12 years ago. Shaved with it 15-20 times. Blade alignment on mine is bad. You have more blade exposure on one side. A very mild razor. Angle is difficult to get. Just buy a vintage Tech or the modern Chinese Gillette Super Blue razor. Both are better shavers

The Popular is my main razor so I'll try and give these questions a shot.

1. The shave experience is highly dependent on the blade. In my experience it performs extremely well with Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless blades (green packaging, made in Russia). This combo cuts whiskers effortlessly with minimal blade feel.
2. The build quality is decent enough. I have no blade alignment or blade gap issues and the TTO mechanism works smoothly. I wouldn't trust it to survive a bad drop though.
3. It works fine with Feather blades, but the the Gillette greens are much better. YMMV.
I dropped my Popular, it hit the top edge of the bathtub then on to the tile floor. Still in perfect condition.

Bought one 12 years ago. Shaved with it 15-20 times. Blade alignment on mine is bad. You have more blade exposure on one side. A very mild razor. Angle is difficult to get. Just buy a vintage Tech or the modern Chinese Gillette Super Blue razor. Both are better shavers
On my Popular on each corner at the outside corner of both bars a small alignment tab sticks up so all 4 corners of the blade touch them making for perfect alignment.

In my opinion blade angle is not easy to find, for beginners there are better starting razors....
I would agree with this. The Popular was my first DE razor and was neither mild or easy. It took a few 'tries' to finally get a smooth shave without any cuts or irritation, but I had to be very, very attentive. Today I shaved for the first time with a RazoRock MJ-90 (original plate) and it was much smoother and milder. I got a nice smooth shave without any irritation or cuts. I think the MJ-90 is the perfect DE razor for beginners.

I had almost given up on DE shaving because of the irritation. The MJ-90 is maybe too mild (inefficient) but once I get more experience I can swap with the 'A' plate. For me, this is a winning combination - I don't have to buy these expensive cartridge razors anymore and still get the same smooth if not smoother shave. I'm very pleased I got this razor and it looks beautiful.

The Popular is a good and well-made razor, and I'd definitely recommend it, but perhaps not to beginners.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The Feather Popular was my second DE razor. I was very happy with it with the supplied Hi Stainless blades, I tried Astra SPs and they wouldn't cut. I found the handle a bit too long for me and replaced it with a Razorock DE1. I would recommend both as a beginner razor, as I used both when I first started.
Now I use a Piccolo SE with GSB blades for a daily razor, and a Feather Artist Club SS with Proguard blades when I want a BBS.

I bought one recently after having strayed away from DE shaving. I tried Harry's and it was good, in fact the best value of all the cartridge razors, but i thought for what they asked for 16 carts I could buy a good DE razor and 50 blades, enough for almost a year for me... and the Feather DE and 50 Feather blades (yellow pack) cost me a couple bucks fewer!

It's very good! The first shave I cut myself like crazy but then I got back the technique and from then on I haven't has trouble. If it were my first DE razor I might not have bought any others. I only do one-pass shaves WTG (maybe another ATG when I don't like the results of the first) and most blades tends to last five or six shaves for me, but I find the yellow-pack Feathers I bought lasting seven to nine shaves. (Though I dislike the plastic packaging.)

In an ideal world I'd run these blades with Astra or Gillette, any decent brand that doesn't use plastic boxes to hold ten blades, and I'd have a very simple but effective butterfly DE razor whose blades cost 50 cents a month to run. Will my grandkids use the razor? No, I don't think it's that durable. But, I could see it lasting 10 years for me. And any razor priced below $15 that can last that long is a fine deal.

I have one I've had for several years. I like it. Nice smooth shave and perfect blade alignment every time.

Build quality is pretty good for a cheap razor too. The stainless in the head seems of good quality and although the handle is plastic it seems durable and of good quality. I could see this razor lasting longer than those more expensive zamak head razors that are 3 to 4 times the price.

I've had a Popular, in my opinion too light and unconfortable in moustache area for the head thumb.I prefer an ol Black Beauty gentle as Popular but easy to use.

Can anybody comment on if the popular and as-d2 are the same on the aggressive scale? I'm also trying to compare how aggressive the as-d2 is compared to the Merkur 34c.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I recommend Feather Popular to a friend who is using de for the first time.
He was surprised that it was more convenient and effective than all the cartages he had used.

When he is lazy, he even sits in the bedroom and uses his Feather Popular to "dry shave", without any water or lather (I can't stop him from doing this) . Although it was a little over, it also proved how much he trusted this razor.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Can anybody comment on if the popular and as-d2 are the same on the aggressive scale? I'm also trying to compare how aggressive the as-d2 is compared to the Merkur 34c.

Feather as-d2 is definitely milder than merckur; in addition, as-d2's blade fixing method is more stable + blade vibration is less, so it reduces unnecessary stimulation.

Also because the gap and exposure of Merkur are slightly more, it is easier to find the angle; some people think that as-d2 does not work, in fact, it is because the angle is not maintained or missed.

In terms of efficiency, many people think that as-d2 is similar to popular in terms of mildness, but as-d2 is more effective.
Just listen to the sound of "toast Scrape Buttering" with your ears, feather can happily show you her efficiency.

Is Feather Popular a Gillette 1940x clone? It seems to me that yes. This is a good razor for the money. And it looks beautiful.

I just kinda found out about the Feather Popular tonight. I saw that it is quite inexpensive and not bad looking from the pics I saw. What is the shave like with it? And is it built well enough to be used as an only razor? Used with a Feather blade is the blade angle lined up just right?
I am curious!
The shave is very mild. Mine broke after only a few months. Not very good quality or maybe I just got a rotten apple?

Top Bottom