What's new

Feather Open Comb DE Razor.

A few days ago I saw this vintage Feather open comb nickel razor and decided to buy it.

I have no idea when it was made by Feather and it's not one of those crazy expensive Feathers sold by ebay seller "japannippon" I've seen in other threads here. The vintage ones he sells have Feather's logo while mine has "FEATHER" on the razor so I think it might be older?

It did come with some pre-1930 Gillette blades in the blade case still in the wrapper.
I know the Feather Safety Razor Company started making razors & blades in 1932.

I thought it was an interesting razor. The only plate loss on it is on the base where the handle screws in.

$Feather OC1.jpg
$Feather OC2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Well I shaved with the OC Feather tonight and it's a bit hard to describe. It has the shaving feel of a LC NEW but you can tell right away that the head is thinner like an Old Type which is nice for under the nose. The exposure is about the same as any of the NEW razors I have but the big difference is there is almost no blade gap to speak of, the blade sits right on the teeth.

I would say it's a mild razor but still pretty efficient. The big surprise what when I started the ATG pass. Since it felt like a LC NEW for the other passes I figured ATG would be the same but it ended up being very very smooth going ATG. The whole shave took one extra pass compared to my regular NEWs but the kicker is the thing shaved with such little irritation that I could probably do 5 ATG passes and not even irritate my skin! I wouldn't need to since I wouldn't have any hair left well before that but it's a neat razor to say the least.

If I had to sum it up I would say it's like an Old Type Gillette with NEW LC teeth on it.

great! and what large amount of teeth on each side: 13 + corners. never seen that before. oh those japanese... :smile:

Huh you're right I never even noticed that it had that many teeth hah. That's 1 more than a Gillette Old Type and 2 more than a NEW.

I saw one of those on yahoo auctions japan. Wish I would have bought it :(

Congrats, sounds like a great razor

I saw one of those on yahoo auctions japan. Wish I would have bought it :(

Congrats, sounds like a great razor

I take a look every now and then at Yahoo Auctions Japan, I've bought stuff in the past from them. For people that don't know YAJ is Japans version of ebay since they don't have an ebay.jp If you're located outside of Japan you usually have to use a third party website that has software that places the bid for you and pays the seller then receives the item before shipping it to you. I have an account with SMJ but haven't used it in years.

I'd like to be happy for you, but I'm so stinking jealous I can't find the generosity.

Seriously, that is a beautiful razor that I really wish were mine instead of yours.

Enjoy it.

Top Bottom