What's new

*Feather N. American Tour*

Gentlemen,

With all the activity surrounding this fine razor, I contacted several of my B&B pals and offered my Feather for them to try.
So, after hand-delivering it to Shawn (Sullybob) over coffee yesterday, it's now on its way crisscrossing our country so others may determine if it's right for them:

Shawn (Sullybob) - Austin, Texas
Tim (SirWhiskers) - California
Michael (poonjaji) - Washington
Bong (superbleu) - Washington
Marc (hypo_style) - New York
Randy (jakespoppy) - Houston, TX
John (Bit2) - Ohio

Ah, but my motivation is not entirely charitable. Yes, I'm performing my duty as enabler par excellence :tongue_sm, but I also want to learn if I reviewed the (expensive) razor through rose-colored glasses! :blush:

proxy.php

Just for fun, I also included two uncommon DEs for everyone to try: my French Gerbault and Probak. These two most certainly will not take the SMOOTH title from the Feather but are fine shavers nonetheless.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I expect everyone in the group will report in and share their impressions and I hope it will benefit any of you who might be thinking about investing in your own.

Let the games begin!

Very nice of you to have others try the Feather and share their opinions. I am interested to hear what they think. I have been eyeing the Feather for a few months but feel that I might have to wait until Christmas to justify the cost.

Thanks ,
Kurtis

S

siouxsie

Very cool. You are a trusting person. I don't know if I could do that...well Michael for sure because I know him, I could. I think his PILS is on tour as well. And he toured the Cobra.

Those other two razors are really cool, I've not seen those.

I'm truly honored to be participating and to be a beneficiary of Bill's generosity and trust. I can't wait to try out all three razors!
Thanks Bill!

My Feather that I ordered from BullGoose came today. I got a real nice shave from it, this razor is defiantly not a Tech.

With 3 days growth I used a Shark blade, no prep other then rinsing my face with hot water. I did two passes and got a perfect shave. I am really liking this razor and wouldn't think twice about buying it again.

Thanks Bill for making me want one :thumbup1:

Also I must note that Phil's (Bullgoose) a great guy to buy from, thank you for the extras

Last edited:
My Feather that I ordered from BullGoose came today. I got a real nice shave from it, this razor is defiantly not a Tech.

With 3 days growth I used a Shark blade, no prep other then rinsing my face with hot water. I did two passes and got a perfect shave. I am really liking this razor and wouldn't think twice about buying it again.

Thanks Bill for making me want one :thumbup1:

Good news, Mike. Knowing the kind of serious razors you reach for, that's a nice testimony for the new Feather. :001_cool:

(Mike was originally on the list for the tour until he decided to buy his own. Glad to hear my enabling knows no boundaries! :lol:)

Update:

Mike (highball) has been gracious enough to loan his Feather to his local Seattle-area brethren so Bong and Michael will give his a try. So, the updated schedule is as follows, including some additions:

Shawn (Sullybob) - Austin, Texas (current victim)
Tim (SirWhiskers) - California
Michael (poonjaji) - Washington
Bong (superbleu) - Washington

Marc (hypo_style) - New York
Joe (Darjeeling Express) - New York
Randy (jakespoppy) - Houston, TX
John (Bit2) - Ohio
JR (jrhudgins) - Georgetown, TX (JR - I'll contact you soon)

So far I've got two shaves with the Feather. The first shave was with, what else but a new Feather blade. That probably wasn't the best decision I've ever made as I was recovering from a rough shave the day before. The shave was good but my face was already sore.

I skipped a day and shaved again today with a new Shark SC blade. Very nice. Bill and I talked about this razor at length and he said that he thought this razor was slick, the head doesn't grab your skin like other razors. It took me until about half way through the shave this morning to realize what that strange sensation was. There is barely any pulling from the head, it is much slicker then any other razor that I have used.

A couple of quick impressions:

This thing is a tank.
Its a tool, it's built like a tool. It would be at home in your tool box.
Then knurling is awesome.
Its the heaviest razor I have ever used.

Thats it for now. More to follow.

Thanks again Bill.

It took me until about half way through the shave this morning to realize what that strange sensation was. There is barely any pulling from the head, it is much slicker then any other razor that I have used.
I'm noticing this more and more. The smoothness of this thing is truly something to experience!

Its a tool, it's built like a tool. It would be at home in your tool box.
Or your surgeon's kit. I see it as more than a razor now. It's an "instrument" that happens to BE a razor. :laugh:
Then knurling is awesome.
Yeah, the best I've seen so far.

Its the heaviest razor I have ever used.
I touched upon this in my review. To my knowledge it's probably the second-heaviest commercial razor available behind the Merkur Barberpole models. And of course a custom razor from Cooncatbob.

Can't wait to try it. I'm next in line. Take your time Shawn, no pressure.

I plan on doing 5 shaves with it, but that will take me 10 days as I can only shave every other day - I hope this is OK with the rest of the gentlemen on the list.

I need to try the blades I like: Feather, Iridium, Astra Platinum, Shark SC and Kai. I will keep everything the same during the 5 shaves, except the blade.

I haven't picked the soap or cream yet, but I have another week to agonize over the lubricant choice for the instrument's gliding pleasure. Choices I'm thinking of going with: PdP soap, Nancy Boy cream, Fitjar cream.

Wow - what an incredibly generous gesture! I'm still in "new toy" mode with mine and am not sure if my impressions are accurate, but I love the Feather Nd have been getti g terrific shaves from it. I can't wait to hear the other impressions as they roll in!

I'm noticing this more and more. The smoothness of this thing is truly something to experience!

Or your surgeon's kit. I see it as more than a razor now. It's an "instrument" that happens to BE a razor. :laugh:

Yeah, the best I've seen so far.

I touched upon this in my review. To my knowledge it's probably the second-heaviest commercial razor available behind the Merkur Barberpole models. And of course a custom razor from Cooncatbob.

The smoothness really must be experienced to be believed.

The surgeons kit is probably a better analogy then the tool box. I have never handled surgeons instruments so I don't know what they feel like. But this razor would be at home in a Snap On truck.

Can't wait to try it. I'm next in line. Take your time Shawn, no pressure.

I plan on doing 5 shaves with it, but that will take me 10 days as I can only shave every other day - I hope this is OK with the rest of the gentlemen on the list.

I need to try the blades I like: Feather, Iridium, Astra Platinum, Shark SC and Kai. I will keep everything the same during the 5 shaves, except the blade.

I haven't picked the soap or cream yet, but I have another week to agonize over the lubricant choice for the instrument's gliding pleasure. Choices I'm thinking of going with: PdP soap, Nancy Boy cream, Fitjar cream.

I shaved again this morning with a Shark SC blade. Super smooth.

Top Bottom