What's new

*Feather N. American Tour*

On a side note, I shaved yesterday with one of the Shark SCs you gave me, Shawn. Nice blade! :thumbup1: (Thanks again)

You are welcome!

This mornings shave was a splash of warm water, pre-shave oil and brushless gel followed by Tuff AS. It was surprisingly good shave.

The smoothness really must be experienced to be believed....

I think the slickness of this razor's matte finish is akin to the surface of a non-stick cooking pan - it glides easily through tacky lather or skin oils. :thumbup1:

You are welcome!

This mornings shave was a splash of warm water, pre-shave oil and brushless gel followed by Tuff AS. It was surprisingly good shave.

Phil will be glad to hear this, Shawn. I was surprised how well the shave gel performed. No cushion, but all slickness!
(Phil at Bullgoose sent me a sample of Erasmic shave gel and pre-shave to try as he's thinking about carrying it soon. I sent it along with the razor to gain additional opinions)

Last edited:
On a side note, I shaved yesterday with one of the Shark SCs you gave me, Shawn. Nice blade! :thumbup1: (Thanks again)

Yes, the Shark SC blades surprised me too. Just like Astra SP did. But the other version of Shark SS and Astra SS feel rough. There's something good in these Platinum/Chrome/Tungsten/Polymer-whatchamacallit coatings that adds smoothness to the blade. To me a sharp but smooth blade is very important.

I got the Feather shave gel and aftershave. Slick stuff. I can't get over the cool feel of gel on my face while I shave. I like it though, just hard to use something else when you got a soap and aftershave you really like.

I got the Feather shave gel and aftershave. Slick stuff. I can't get over the cool feel of gel on my face while I shave. I like it though, just hard to use something else when you got a soap and aftershave you really like.

Michael, did you get your Feather Stainless? How does it shave and in particular, how do you rate it against your PILS? You're one of the few so far that has both and it would be interesting to hear how each fares in a battle of "Modern Premium Razors".

Yeah Bill, I picked one up for my birthday along with a new suit, but that is for another thread. I rate it a touch lower than the Pils, but I probably need to use it more to give it a fair assessment.

The Shave:
The Feather isn't as chatty as the Pils. The Pils I can hear the "scheeeenggg" sound when I shave. It's kinda cool heh. I attribute it to the blade exposure and gap on each. A little different experience with each, so this might be personal preference.

Head Geometry:
The finish on the head reminds me of the satin Futur I used to have. Very smooth though, I think the teflon coated frying pan analogy works. It has a high crown on it than the Pils, but not much. I think I like the head on the Pils more. I like both for coming the entire blade.

The Handles:
I love the knurling on the Feather. Easier to hold. I don't have a problem really with the handles getting wet while I shave. I feel that the Feather is more evenly balanced through out, where the Pils weight is in the head.

I need to sit down one day and really compare and review the two. These are just some rough off the top of my head views.

The Feather isn't as chatty as the Pils. The Pils I can hear the "scheeeenggg" sound when I shave. It's kinda cool heh. I attribute it to the blade exposure and gap on each. A little different experience with each, so this might be personal preference.

I noticed that chatty razors tend to not curve the blade as much hence you get more of a scraping sound than with a razor that curves the blade a lot and helps the cutting angle. If you look at the blade both in the Feather and PILS, is there one that the blade points more toward the bar guard than being parallel to it?

The Pils has a very slight pitch. It is more flat than the Feather. I'll try to get some pictures up when I get home tonight unless someone beats me to it. Both cut about the same to me, I use Feather blades in both. One just makes a cooler sound heh. The blade guard on them are different. The Feather has more of a bull nose shaped guared, the Pils has more of a rounded wedge. Probably not the best description I could give. In either case the angle that the blade is pitched lines up with the guards.

The Pils has a very slight pitch. It is more flat than the Feather. I'll try to get some pictures up when I get home tonight unless someone beats me to it. Both cut about the same to me, I use Feather blades in both. One just makes a cooler sound heh. The blade guard on them are different. The Feather has more of a bull nose shaped guared, the Pils has more of a rounded wedge. Probably not the best description I could give. In either case the angle that the blade is pitched lines up with the guards.

When I had Michael's (poonjaji) PILS, the first thing I noticed was how flat the blade sat relative to most DEs. So much so, I wondered if the shaving angle would have to be adjusted drastically. Didn't turn out that way at all - nice shaves.

When I had Michael's (poonjaji) PILS, the first thing I noticed was how flat the blade sat relative to most DEs. So much so, I wondered if the shaving angle would have to be adjusted drastically. Didn't turn out that way at all - nice shaves.

Maybe the PILS is different, but the razors I noticed the "flat" blade in are the HD, Slim and the Feather Portable and they all felt rough to me. On the other hand, I find the EJ DE89L, the Mühle R41 very smooth shavers because they seem to curve the blade quite a bit. Maybe I'm just imagining things...

Bill is the most diabolical enabler out there. (Well maybe not the most.:001_rolle) In any event, his generosity knows no bounds. Such a gentleman. Yes you did take one for the team on this and I am honored that you put me on the list! Darjeeling

This is the EJ DE89L all over again. LinuxMintyFresh started it and then everyone wanted one and all the vendors were sold out. Eventually everyone got one and a bunch of them showed up on BST.

Top Bottom