What's new

Feather, move aside: Diamond-coated Tungsten Blade in prototype stage

Just look at the video, it's amazing:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/diamaze-diamond-tipped-razor-blades-can-literally-split-hairs-v/

"thanks to a small German outfit named GFD, which has recently debuted a diamond-tipped, tungsten carbide razor blade that promises to retain its sharpness 1,000 times as long as regular steel and to be precise enough to slice a human hair in half. Hell, that latter bit isn't even a promise, it's a fact, which you can verify in the video after the break. GFD is looking for a manufacturing partner to bring this ingenious prototype to market"

The video features a single edge laboratory blade, but maybe, if it ever reaches the market, we'll see some DE blades. I'd love to see that

It would probably be pretty expensive, but if it lasts so long it may be a good idea. Maybe it would make an even better material for a no-sharpen straight razor.

Kinda makes me sad.

I like switching out blades and enjoying their individual personality. Life would be dull (pardon the pun) if I used the same razor and blade everyday for years...

Wow, that was impressive, but i am not sure if i would want to put that anywhere near my skin! Would definitely be curious to see how they proceed with it.

We'll never see it.

It might see some use in areas where surgical instruments are sterilized and re-used.

Not enough market to make it into a DE.
Gillette won't WANT a Fusion/Mach-III that will last 5000 shaves. They make their living selling you a $10 handle for $5 and $1 blades for $30, just like the people who make inkjet printers.

We'll never see it.

It might see some use in areas where surgical instruments are sterilized and re-used.

Not enough market to make it into a DE.
Gillette won't WANT a Fusion/Mach-III that will last 5000 shaves. They make their living selling you a $10 handle for $5 and $1 blades for $30, just like the people who make inkjet printers.

Gillette would be find marking it to me... Those nasty 4 and 5 blade razors clog up so bad if I have more than 24 hours growth, I'd end up damaging it and having to replace it the first time I tried to get the clog out of their p.poor design.

Worst of all would be the YMMV factor. Feathers are sharp but rough on my face. Whose to say that these would feel any better?

Worst of all would be the YMMV factor. Feathers are sharp but rough on my face. Whose to say that these would feel any better?

Well, if it only lasts 1000X longer than a standard blade, I wouldn't expect it to cost you more than about $150 to find out :)

Wonder how a USED DE blade would go over on BST? LOL - I can see those super-germophobe, "sanitize their own razor after every shave" types going bonkers over the though of a blade that is almost certainly on BST because it caused cuts and blood for the previous owner...

Well, if it only lasts 1000X longer than a standard blade, I wouldn't expect it to cost you more than about $150 to find out :)

Wonder how a USED DE blade would go over on BST? LOL - I can see those super-germophobe, "sanitize their own razor after every shave" types going bonkers over the though of a blade that is almost certainly on BST because it caused cuts and blood for the previous owner...

Yeah, of course, I mean well, it still has 998 shaves left!* (*They gave it a second chance ...)

Germophobes would have to buy theirs new! :lol:

Last edited:
Fear the next gen Ginsu knife! Could you imagine dropping one of those things and accidentally slicing off your whole tallywhacker?

Top Bottom