What's new

Feather Hi-Shave Moist Gel

Fendrihan just recently posted a number of new Feather products including some new carbon steel blades and a new product I'd never seen before called Hi-Shave Moist Gel. Everything but the name is printed in Japanese and I've never seen or experienced anything quite like it. It's totally clear save for a few little floating dots that seem to be capsules that gellify in water.

I remember the first time I used a real shave cream (Castle Forbes) and how it was leaps and bounds better than the Edge Gel dreck. This was like that experience. I've never had anything that's so slick and so light at the same time. It's a strange feeling to not have any foam on your face and yet the blade glides over your skin with hardly any sign of friction. You can literally see the hairs coming off your face as you shave. It's been great as I get into straight razor shaving as it makes the blade much more forgiving.

Has anyone else tried this before?

I ordered this product from Amazon based on the information above. It was shipped from Japan and manufactured for the Japanese market. Unfortunately, that means that all the information on the tube including the ingredients are in Japanese, so I have no idea what's in it. I like it. It's very slick, but doesn't foam up so you apply it by hand, not with a shaving brush. As stated above, it's a clear gel and it yields a very close, comfortable shave with no irritation. I've found it works best if you splash water on your face before you begin and between passes.

I ordered this product from Amazon based on the information above. It was shipped from Japan and manufactured for the Japanese market. Unfortunately, that means that all the information on the tube including the ingredients are in Japanese, so I have no idea what's in it. I like it. It's very slick, but doesn't foam up so you apply it by hand, not with a shaving brush. As stated above, it's a clear gel and it yields a very close, comfortable shave with no irritation. I've found it works best if you splash water on your face before you begin and between passes.
.... But what about if you try to shaving with Feather blade also? The gel will protect well?

I use Wilkinsons (my preferred blade), Feather, and a few other brands. I find the Wilkinsons sharper than the Feather blades and this gel does work well with all the blades I've tried it with.

For those interested, here is a "copy & paste" of the ingredients list, from Fendrihan's product page:

Ingredients: Water, DPG, PEG-8, glycerin, ethanol, mannitol, glycine, serine acetyl hyaluronic acid Na, hyaluronic acid Na, hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid, glycyrrhizic acid 2K retinol palmitate, ubiquinone, cellulose, carbomer hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, PEG-60 Hydrogenated castor oil, oxybenzone-4 sodium hydroxide, tocopherol, tocopherol acetate, EDTA-2Na, phenoxyethanol methyl paraben, perfume, gunjou, iron oxide

In other words:
proxy.php

A question I have is how big is the tube? Is it below the 100ml threshold for carry-on? If so, how do I convince TSA of this?

A question I have is how big is the tube? Is it below the 100ml threshold for carry-on? If so, how do I convince TSA of this?
The bottle is 200g, so it's about twice what TSA will permit. Easy solution: just get a 3.4 oz bottle and pour it in.

I would be curious to see this compared to Gatsby shave gel, also japanese

I haven't tried the Feather gel, but I thought quite highly of the Gatsby Cool-Type when I bought it in Japan. I can get it at my local Japanese groceries here in NYC. I will look to see if the Feather is available next time I go.

Bought some of this from japanesetaste.com, who has had rotating specials on the various Feather cartridges and cartridge handles. It was an amazingly good shave. The label appears to say it now has Co Q-10 added to it. It was noticeably better than the Gatsby gel I bought in 2018. Also, the Power Stick Shaving Gel at Dollar Tree is about as good as the Gatsby. None of them are bad, if you can get used to a non-lathering gel for shaving. The results do speak for themselves.

Top Bottom