What's new

Feather good for only one shave?

I made a post about my first shave with a Feather blade here...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=154636

Last night I used the same blade (the second shave), same IK soap, same everything. I had a horrible shave! It was pulling on my neck hair very badly. I had to stop and change blades as I was getting chewed up! I have some good irritation this morning.

Has anyone ever experienced this? A one shave Feather blade? I do have hard whiskers...but I never would have thought the Feather would die after one shave.

:sad:

Has anyone ever experienced this? A one shave Feather blade? I do have hard whiskers...but I never would have thought the Feather would die after one shave.

:sad:

Same here in the Enigma they only last one shave. In the Feather AS however at least two :laugh:, but that is a very mild shaver.

Last edited:
Have you found any blades to stay sharp for a second or third shave?

I am still trying to convince the wife that I need the Feather AS and stand. :biggrin1: I like my 1904 so I'm sure I will like the Feather AS. I cannot even tell you how much I spent over the past month acquiring vintage Gillettes. I like trying new razors. :blushing:

As for the blades...I'm going to test my theory again. I felt like I was shaving with a tree axe! At least DE's are cheap (coming from the cartridge world) that they can be used only once (if I determine that is the case).

A Kai blade is not quite as sharp as a Feather, but seems to maintain its sharpness for 3 or 4 shaves for me, and I have a thick, tough beard.

I shave with Feather blades exclusively, but I only keep a blade for 2-3 shaves before switching it. For other, duller blades, I can go 4-5 shaves per blade, but I'd take sharpness over longevity any day. If you're worried about price Dridiot (check the Vendor Corner) sells a 200 pack of Feathers for $58 ($0.29/blade).

Whenever I shave with feathers I get a nice bbs shave, but I almost always get one nick or weeper, even in my late 40's superspeed, which is my razor of choice. I think for me, feathers are just too aggressive.

If you can't get a 2nd shave from any blade, then I'd take a second look at your prep routine.

Plus technique. I have to shave daily and early on, I thought every blade was a 2-3 day blade. Now, I cannot find a blade that will not give good to great shaves for 7 days. I have stayed with the most B&B recommended 4 or 5 blades, however.

It serioulsy felt like it was snagging, pulling, and ripping the hair. I was well lathered, correct angle, going slow, zero pressure, etc.

I should mention it was the ATG pass that it chewed me up. I never had the issue on the first shave with the Feather blade. The ATG pass on a fresh blade was superb!

I'll accept the input and make note...however I have been exclusively wet shaving since 1985 so I'm pretty comfortable in my pre shave.

I've been wetshaving since about the same date myself, but prep for a DE shave is a lot more important than for a cartridge shave.:thumbup1:

I use a Feather for a week, probably could change after day 5 or 6, but i'd get my days messed up........... Every Monday, a new blade.

I've been wetshaving since about the same date myself, but prep for a DE shave is a lot more important than for a cartridge shave.:thumbup1:

From what I see...I was/have been doing the same prep with cartridges/DE as with all the DE shavers on B&B. Again, I feel pretty confident in my prep. I just had a BBS with a new Feather...just didn't get a good second shave from it. As it is stated here...YMMV.

Top Bottom