What's new

Feather DX vs RG

What's the difference between them?

This may have been answered, I don't know... but it's near impossible to search for, as DX and RG aren't long enough to be included in the search terms.

For the RG, the "blade" (blade holder) is a brass alloy, whereas for the DX it is stainless steel. I presume the steel would be slightly heavier and allow for a little more feedback, but I don't know for sure yet. I am ordering one though, as I just sold my RG with the intent of upgrading.

For the RG, the "blade" (blade holder) is a brass alloy, whereas for the DX it is stainless steel. I presume the steel would be slightly heavier and allow for a little more feedback, but I don't know for sure yet. I am ordering one though, as I just sold my RG with the intent of upgrading.

How do you like the feather? I want to start using a straight, but don't have the time/money to go for one that I'd have to hone/strop. Plus even if I did go that route, I'd still wonder about the feather :smile:

How do you like the feather? I want to start using a straight, but don't have the time/money to go for one that I'd have to hone/strop. Plus even if I did go that route, I'd still wonder about the feather :smile:

I find the Artist Club to be a blast to shave with. My first week was a little clumsy, but I didn't find the learning curve to be any steeper than when I started out with a DE. Be forewared, though, that most seasoned straight users will tell you that using an Artist Club and a traditional straight are rather different experiences and require different technique.

I've decided to give up the Artist Club in favor of a traditional straight.

As for the RG v. DX thing, it does seem to be just that steel v. plated brass thing. I don't get it, honestly. Maybe there is an manufacturing reason for the DX being twice as expensive, but.... They actually all seem a touch overpriced to me. As a buyer, I am lost to come up with a single reason why the DX would be better, especially better enough to pay twice as much. The upgrade to wood scales though... over the ugly plastic ones... near priceless, I'd say.

-Mo

I find the Artist Club to be a blast to shave with. My first week was a little clumsy, but I didn't find the learning curve to be any steeper than when I started out with a DE. Be forewared, though, that most seasoned straight users will tell you that using an Artist Club and a traditional straight are rather different experiences and require different technique.

oh yeah... I've read a number of comments that they're quite different, but I'd like to learn both :smile:

I've decided to give up the Artist Club in favor of a traditional straight.

As for the RG v. DX thing, it does seem to be just that steel v. plated brass thing. I don't get it, honestly. Maybe there is an manufacturing reason for the DX being twice as expensive, but.... They actually all seem a touch overpriced to me. As a buyer, I am lost to come up with a single reason why the DX would be better, especially better enough to pay twice as much. The upgrade to wood scales though... over the ugly plastic ones... near priceless, I'd say.

-Mo

I just wanted to remind everybody that in Japan, the limited edition ebony AC DX and 15 pro guard blades cost 160$. CS certainly makes a lot of money out of that product (and they are right if such a demand exists). I also add that I shave faster and better with my AC than with my DE.

I just wanted to remind everybody that in Japan, the limited edition ebony AC DX and 15 pro guard blades cost 160$. CS certainly makes a lot of money out of that product (and they are right if such a demand exists). I also add that I shave faster and better with my AC than with my DE.

Is there an option to get if for that price, or anything close, from here? I seem to remember that Ben paid way less than $200 for his Japanese style DX. Maybe the western style one is also available from the same source?

-Mo

What's the difference between them?

This may have been answered, I don't know... but it's near impossible to search for, as DX and RG aren't long enough to be included in the search terms.

Finish on the holder, and brass vs stainless. Basically - the primary difference is cost.

I want to try a straight razor also but I didn't want to strop and hone so I ordered the "Powder Blue" Feather Artist Club RG. Its kind of ugly but I hope I like it enough that it grows on me. Plus with the Feather's you can try the Pro Guard (wire wrapped) blades or the Professionals which are more like a standard straight. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Top Bottom