What's new

Feather DX Question About Drying The Razor

Hey Guys
I just got my Feather Dx today and am totally satisfied with it.
One question-
I will take the blade out after each use and rinse the blade opening. Should I be concerned about moisture not evaporating inside the blade holder?
Thanks for some advice.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I disassemble my Feather and rinse under the tap after use, then pat dry. I leave the blade and the disassembled razor on the window sill for a few hours to fully dry. I then reassemble the razor and store it without the blade inserted until the next use. I try to avoid getting any water at all into the pivot during use or cleaning, but I think this is just habit from when I used a straight razor. To do this I always keep the blade tip below the level of the pivot when the blade is wet. This has been my routine for a few years and my razor looks like new.

20220201_143125-1~2.jpg

I disassemble my Feather and rinse under the tap after use, then pat dry. I leave the blade and the disassembled razor on the window sill for a few hours to fully dry. I then reassemble the razor and store it without the blade inserted until the next use. I try to avoid getting any water at all into the pivot during use or cleaning, but I think this is just habit from when I used a straight razor. To do this I always keep the blade tip below the level of the pivot when the blade is wet. This has been my routine for a few years and my razor looks like new.

View attachment 1593207
Thanks Richard for the good information.
Today was my first shave with the Feather

PXL_20230123_194902963.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you are new to using the Feather then you might take a look at this thread. Very light pressure, a very shallow angle, and skin stretching, is very important. I also prefer a wetter lather than for use with a DE razor. The Feather is the closest shaving razor I have ever used, it rewards good technique, but it will punish you instantly if you get sloppy. The Proguard blades are great to start with; I use the Professional blades now but still occasionally use the Proguard blade for a more relaxed shave. Good luck, it is a fantastic razor.

@EclipseRedRing

Your suggestions are totally on point. Thanks.
For the past month I have been using a cheap half DE blade shavette.
I have been DE shaving for a couple years and also believe in the importance of skin tightening, a thinner lather and "no pressure" shaving.
I am still at the novice and awkward stage of using a straight edge...but I am persevering! All of the above mentioned suggestions are even more important with SR shaving!
Thanks for the link!

I have never taken apart and removed the blade after each shave. Only do so when I’m changing blades, where I lightly wipe down the disassembled razor, clean with water and dry with a towel. No problems in almost fifteen years of using the Feather AC. YMMV.

I generally leave it assembled. There is a hinged plastic cover available for protection from the blade while it is sitting on the shelf or counter, or for travel.

I have never taken apart and removed the blade after each shave. Only do so when I’m changing blades, where I lightly wipe down the disassembled razor, clean with water and dry with a towel. No problems in almost fifteen years of using the Feather AC. YMMV.
This is my experience also....

I generally do not disassemble between shaves. At least that is my goal as I don't like adding this extra step.

But I will remove the blade if any soap residue is seen in that groove where the blade enters the blade holder. This happens when I have loaded too much soap or not gotten it wet enough, making the lather too sticky. It is usually apparent after the first few strokes whether the lather was wet enough or not. If the lather was nice and wet, I just strop the razor on a towel while leaving the blade inserted. I have found few problems with rusting blades using this approach.

Reactions: JPO
I have been wanting one of these for awhile, do the dx models come with a stand in some pics? Most are shown n a very narrow box. Also I take nearly all of mine apart and dry, our water gets to 150 and instantly self dries though lol

I take the blade out when I replace it and then clean the razor (with a soft nail brush) under running water from any soap scum that may have accumulated.

These razors are made from L316 steel, which is sometimes called “marine steel”, so no additional corrosion protection is needed IMO.
I also do not subscribe to the idea that blades should be taken out and cleaned or dried after every shave.
I believe you can do more harm than good by doing this and it just does not yield any measurable benefit.

B.

I have been wanting one of these for awhile, do the dx models come with a stand in some pics? Most are shown n a very narrow box. Also I take nearly all of mine apart and dry, our water gets to 150 and instantly self dries though lol

My DXs came in clear plastic boxes with black stands.

I do not believe they were meant to be used as razor stands, they didn’t seem strong enough and I just considered them part of the packaging.

B.

Top Bottom