What's new

Feather DX Price

I forgot to mention; for those who, like me, do not care for the Feather AC SS flimsy plastic handle there is now a Feather AC SS Scotch Wood version with sturdier handle that narrows the gap between the SS and DX version and is available for $139.95 on the site that is named after a well known South American river.

B.

I forgot to mention; for those who, like me, do not care for the Feather AC SS flimsy plastic handle there is now a Feather AC SS Scotch Wood version with sturdier handle that narrows the gap between the SS and DX version and is available for $139.95 on the site that is named after a well known South American river.

B.
What makes you think the Feather handle is "flimsy"? Does it fail to do what scales are designed to do? Wood is just something you have to maintain.

What makes you think the Feather handle is "flimsy"? Does it fail to do what scales are designed to do? Wood is just something you have to maintain.

Neither assumption is correct:

1. The plastic scales of the Feather AC SS do not fail to do what they are designed to do, but when you hold a Feather AC SS (and compare the scales against the resin scales of the Feather AC DX that have a very nice feel), the AC SS scales do not impart the feel and heft of quality scales and feel “insubstantial” - one of the definitions of “flimsy”.

2. Both the wood of the Feather AC DX and AC SS have been resin treated and do not require special care. Neither do the hardwood scales of my straight razors BTW, even if they were not specially treated.

B.

Last edited:
Neither assumption is correct:

1. The plastic scales of the Feather AC SS do not fail to do what they are designed to do, but when you hold a Feather AC SS (and compare the scales against the resin scales of the Feather AC DX that have a very nice feel), the AC SS scales do not impart the feel and heft of quality scales and feel “insubstantial” - one of the definitions of “flimsy”.

2. Both the wood of the Feather AC DX and AC SS have been resin treated and do not require special care. Neither do the hardwood scales of my straight razors BTW, even if they were not specially treated.

B.
Your opinion on what is unsubstantial is subjective and therefore the assessment of the handles as flimsy is flawed. Flimsy denotes that the scales lack strength and therefore unreliable or cheap. Anyone having held the razor knows otherwise.

If you want to spend twice as much for wood, that’s your business.

Your opinion on what is unsubstantial is subjective and therefore the assessment of the handles as flimsy is flawed. Flimsy denotes that the scales lack strength and therefore unreliable or cheap. Anyone having held the razor knows otherwise.
You seem to be taking @Brutus opinion personally.

Flimsy also can mean that the scales flex easily, which they do. They are not unreliable or cheap, and come nowhere best breaking under normal use, but they just don't feel "substantial" compared to many other straights.

You seem to be taking @Brutus opinion personally.

Flimsy also can mean that the scales flex easily, which they do. They are not unreliable or cheap, and come nowhere best breaking under normal use, but they just don't feel "substantial" compared to many other straights.

Do you normally see “flimsy” used as a positive discription for flexibility? I don’t .

The black resin handles do what scales on a SR razor are supposed to do using a material that would be suitable for the professional’s continual use.

My only reason for posting is for the benefit of someone considering this razor.

Your opinion on what is unsubstantial is subjective and therefore the assessment of the handles as flimsy is flawed.

If you want to spend twice as much for wood, that’s your business.

If my opinion is subjective, so is yours and so we should part ways and you go and you follow your inclination and I follow mine.

And you are abolutely correct.
If elected to spend more for wooden scales that was entirely my business and nobody else’s.
But when you asked what you might be missing, and as I own all four versions of Feather AC razors, I gave you my reasons for preferring the DX.
That, however, does not mean that I plan to revisit, or debate with you, my earlier choice in any way.

Because you asked, I have tried to provide you with some suggestions and alternatives up till now, but that seems hardly necessary anymore since you seem to have found your answers already.

Good luck.

B.

Last edited:
The plastic scales on the DX and SS are autoclave safe, so that the whole razor can be sterilized. I am not sure a barber would ever have a need for that, but I suppose there are medical situations where that might be necessary. Or it is just a marketing ploy from Seki. In any case the scales would need to be fairly sturdy or have integrity
to withstand that.

Also @Brutus I reread your past above are you saying the plastic material is different on the folding SS and folding DX? Or that they just have different thickness or heft.

Last edited:
If my opinion is subjective, so is yours and so we should part ways and you go and you follow your inclination and I follow mine.

And you are abolutely correct.
If elected to spend more for wooden scales that was entirely my business and nobody else’s.
But when you asked what you might be missing, and as I own all four versions of Feather AC razors, I gave you my reasons for preferring the DX.
That, however, does not mean that I plan to revisit, or debate with you, my earlier choice in any way.

Because you asked, I have tried to provide you with some suggestions and alternatives up till now, but that seems hardly necessary anymore since you seem to have found your answers already.

Good luck.

B.
Well, not really. Flimsy has a generally understood negative connotation. The fact is, the Feather SS with black resin handle is anything but flimsy. Your description is inaccurate. The handle does what a scale is supposed to do. The wooden handled SS provides a more aesthetically appealing aspect, but it does not provide a more substantial experience or purpose.

I have both in non-folding, plus an old folding RG. Comparing the kami models, the handle on the DX is definitely nicer. I don't feel like it shaves any better than the SS though. I can get the same results with either. I reach for the DX a little more often, but I could get by with only the SS if I had to. They are both great razors.

Yesterday I became the proud owner of a DX (kamisori style like my SS).
upload_2018-10-3_16-4-13.png

Was it worth double the cost of the SS? For me, YES definitely. :001_wub:

Although both have brilliant build quality the look and feel of the DX is MUCH better IMO. And as Feather themselves say about their barber razors... the DX is their flagship model.

If anyone's interested here's the report on my first DX shave.

Congrats on your new razor Cal, I cant wait until my folding DX arrives from Japan. Also enjoyed your short review:)

Top Bottom