What's new

Feather DX Price

The DX is built sturdier than the SS. Its a different kind of stainless steel that is more durable. I believe I also read that the manufacturing process for the DX is more labor intensive and results in a more durable razor.
I believe that the DX is more designed for use by barbers, whereas the SS is more made for the average person; so its built to different standards and the price reflects that.

Its a different kind of stainless steel that is more durable.
That's probably true, but meaningless in reality. Less "durable" brass DEs and carbon steel straights have easily lasted100 years if not abused. I'll give you that a DX will last longer than an SS, but the odds of either wearing out through normal use in our lifetimes is slim to none.

M

member 119848

Quality is subjective there... They are both quality made, and are both durable.
The DX has a nicer finish. Period.
Are you ready to pay a premium for this? That´s up to you.
I don´t feel ripped off. But if you do, then don´t buy it. (the DX)
Let me say something though... one day you will forget the price, but will continue to enjoy the product.
@Jonas , just read the posts again... sorry if I sounded rude... I didn't mean to!

That's probably true, but meaningless in reality. Less "durable" brass DEs and carbon steel straights have easily lasted100 years if not abused. I'll give you that a DX will last longer than an SS, but the odds of either wearing out through normal use in our lifetimes is slim to none.
True but we aren't handling our razors for hours and hours every day and swapping out the blade dozens of times per day. I'd say that the SS is fine for 90% of the users out there but the DX isn't designed for hobbyists.

I agree that the DX adds legitimacy to the Feather Artist Club Professional label.

I have some doubts that a DX will outlast a SS, I suspect they are close equals in that regard. But I do think the DX is a more luxurious experience if that can be said of a disposable blade razor. Much like two higher end cars can have similar durability and similar performance specs but one car is better finished and better looking and higher priced than the other.

Didnt sound rude at all Fabi. This is an interesting conversation though..I hope you guys are right & my 2 SS shavettes will outlast me. The only possible weak point I can see is the steel tentioner if you can call it that..time will tell I guess. I have decided I will eventually get the DX as well eventually.

The only possible weak point I can see is the steel tentioner if you can call it that..time will tell I guess.
Theoretically, a spring used within it's elastic range will not weaken. It's only when you hit the plastic limit that the spring is deformed. The Ever Ready 1914 and 1924 razors use a very similar spring to hold the blade against the stops, and they still work after about a century.
534163-52f12d9ee3de4e2c0afb10507d5b9c18.jpg

I will add that the way the SS head is made whereby the skin is pressed down before the blade cuts seems to be a superior design over the DX.

Theoretically, a spring used within it's elastic range will not weaken. It's only when you hit the plastic limit that the spring is deformed. The Ever Ready 1914 and 1924 razors use a very similar spring to hold the blade against the stops, and they still work after about a century.
534163-52f12d9ee3de4e2c0afb10507d5b9c18.jpg
Did you mean elastic limit. Thank you for the information. Perhaps this explains why Schick began locking their Type E and G spring in place.

I will add that the way the SS head is made whereby the skin is pressed down before the blade cuts seems to be a superior design over the DX.
I have an SS Kamisori and would dearly love a DX Kamisori too.

upload_2018-9-23_22-57-30.png

From inspecting Feather's information (text, drawings, etc)... my take on it is that (for users as opposed to barbers) the SS is a great beginners disposable blade straight (the rounded tip can be used the same way that one would "ride the cap" on a safety razor) whereas the DX is simply a straight with a disposable blade.

I'm early, and happy, on my SS journey so I don't mind waiting till I'm completely confident using it before considering a DX purchase.

I have an SS Kamisori and would dearly love a DX Kamisori too.

View attachment 914741

From inspecting Feather's information (text, drawings, etc)... my take on it is that (for users as opposed to barbers) the SS is a great beginners disposable blade straight (the rounded tip can be used the same way that one would "ride the cap" on a safety razor) whereas the DX is simply a straight with a disposable blade.

I'm early, and happy, on my SS journey so I don't mind waiting till I'm completely confident using it before considering a DX purchase.

I think I want to go ahead and use a straight. The DX cost would allow me to have several vintage straights.

I think I want to go ahead and use a straight. The DX cost would allow me to have several vintage straights.
What's best for you is best for you Twelvefret. :001_cool:

I don't mind spending quality time shaving, but being somewhat of an idle git the thought of stropping and honing and the extra paraphernalia that goes with it doesn't appeal to me.
:letterk1: :laugh:

What's best for you is best for you Twelvefret. :001_cool:

I don't mind spending quality time shaving, but being somewhat of an idle git the thought of stropping and honing and the extra paraphernalia that goes with it doesn't appeal to me.
:letterk1: :laugh:

Well, I've done my homework. Once the honing has been done properly, all you need is a good strop. If you damage the razors edge or round the edge by improper stropping, you may need to hone.

There are services and members who offer those services in the $20 range. One member volunteered to help. Another member recommended a reliable seller and I got one from him. I have $38 in the razor and $29 in the two sided paddle strop. That's less than $10 more than I paid for the Feather folding SS.

The best thing is all the wonderful and helpful members here willing to lend me a hand.

I have just purchased a DX from Japan. Cant wait to compair it to the SS & will give a short review when it arrives. I agree with Cal..I started with straights before buying my first shavette but now havent looked back & have sold all my straights. I love the convienience of shavettes especially when they are made & shave as well as the Feathers..personal preference but mucking around honing/stropping razors just isnt my thing.

Did you mean elastic limit.
Technically both are correct, but elastic limit is more correct. My university prof called it the plastic limit and it stuck. What I should have said is "once you cross the boundary between the elastic zone and go into the plastic zone".

Well, I've done my homework. Once the honing has been done properly, all you need is a good strop. If you damage the razors edge or round the edge by improper stropping, you may need to hone.
Stropping will only get you so far; after 15-50 shaves, maybe more, maybe less, stropping just won't cut it and you'll need to refresh the edge. You'll need either a 12k finisher, a pasted balsa (which is technically a strop), or lapping film.

Stropping will only get you so far; after 15-50 shaves, maybe more, maybe less, stropping just won't cut it and you'll need to refresh the edge. You'll need either a 12k finisher, a pasted balsa (which is technically a strop), or lapping film.
We’ll see. I’m after the experience. That’s my motivation in general for why I obtain these razors and accoutrements. It wouldn’t bother me to learn to maintain a blade. I have to maintain a tractor and implements along other equipment so it’s just a matter of obtaining the necessary tools .

Top Bottom