What's new

Feather DX Price

Hey guys, I have 2 Feather SS shavettes & love them. I am half considering buying the DX but dont know if I can justify the price difference (literally double the cost of the SS). Does anyone know why they are so much more expensive even in Japan? Is the build quality better..their must be something Im missing here?

M

member 119848

Hi Jonas,
short answer: I´m not sure why the DX is twice as costly as the SS. It may has to do with more time and effort involved in the manufacturing process of the DX... The SS has a more cast iron and sand-blasted finish, while the DX looks like it has gone through more CNC machining.
It is not so obvious to understand if the price difference is justified. But the DX is not only heavier, it has a nicer finish.
I own both, and love both. :001_smile
IMO, you are getting much more for the money with the SS.
However, I don´t regret buying the DX. It´s really a top-notch shavette.

Thanks for the info Fabi. Twelvefret I cant find the DX on Amazon listed anywhere near $60?

The DX series is considerably better built, but I can’t tell whether production costs or marketing are to blame for the significant price difference. Still, I am prepared to pay this premium since I prefer the DX by a wide margin as they feel and handle IMO much better.

I own a Feather AC SS too, but consider it a “semi-disposable” razor.
That is to say that I use it on trips and if it get’s lost, stolen, or confiscated by TSA at the airport I won’t be half as upset as if I had parted ways with one of my DXs.

You may find lower prices on ebay. Sellers from Japan ship internationally, sometimes for free, and I found shipping from Japan fast, reliable and efficient when I order the SS versions.

B.

I shaved with an SS and a DX Kami in a passaround. I couldn't feel a difference on my face. Bought an SS and have been perfectly happy with it.

I paid $59 for the Feather Folding SS. No way I would pay $200 or more for a wood handle as it would dig into my vintage SR budget. :a29:

I think @Fabi is about right. I am not totally certain but I believe the Feather SS is made from sintered stainless steel, much like the Feather AS-D2 DE razor. So it is easier and less costly to produce when compared to the DX.

I do not own a SS but the DX is very well made. I expect it to look as nice a decade from now as it did the very first day. That is not a criticism of the SS which looks like it should also last a very long time, it is more about which head style you like best.

Some years ago there was a Feather Artist Club RG model which was very similar to the DX. The finish did not hold up over time. It was 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the DX. Even as the RG "tarnished" or otherwise becane worn it still performed well. But I suspect that was why Feather discontinued it, to now only sell the two different stainless steel versions (SS & DX).

I think @Fabi is about right. I am not totally certain but I believe the Feather SS is made from sintered stainless steel, much like the Feather AS-D2 DE razor. So it is easier and less costly to produce when compared to the DX.

I do not own a SS but the DX is very well made. I expect it to look as nice a decade from now as it did the very first day. That is not a criticism of the SS which looks like it should also last a very long time, it is more about which head style you like best.

Some years ago there was a Feather Artist Club RG model which was very similar to the DX. The finish did not hold up over time. It was 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the DX. Even as the RG "tarnished" or otherwise becane worn it still performed well. But I suspect that was why Feather discontinued it, to now only sell the two different stainless steel versions (SS & DX).
From my research, sintering reduces some steps and therefore the cost of manufacture. It is not considered a weakened form of SS. Is this your understanding?

Thanks for the replies guys. If the DX is built using a different manufacturing process & really is a better quality razor I dont have a problem with the price..just dont want to get blaintently ripped off for the same razor with a slightly different head thats all lol.

Thanks for the replies guys. If the DX is built using a different manufacturing process & really is a better quality razor I dont have a problem with the price..just dont want to get blaintently ripped off for the same razor with a slightly different head thats all lol.

How could the DX be better if it is just a blade holder?

From my research, sintering reduces some steps and therefore the cost of manufacture. It is not considered a weakened form of SS. Is this your understanding?
Yes. Except I did another quick search and found another post about the AS-D2, stating that this DE razor was manufactured using a metal injection molding (MIM) process. Which is a similar concept. One might expect Seki Edge to use the same process for manufacturing both razors. A process that makes sense for the more complex shapes involved.

How could the DX be better if it is just a blade holder?
Ignoring the shave head shape difference which obviously affects the shave, it is clear that the DX is an uncoated surface of high quality. I have an older Kai Excelia stainless and it looks practically brand new, though it only has been used about 50 times so far.

It is unclear to me whether or not the SS has a surface coating. Which may or may not be more prone to damage from the faucet, dropping, etc. In either case the stainless steel is not under any stress while shaving. It might take years of shaving on the beach to see any "wear" to either type of stainless, but even that is doubtful with decent care.

Yes. Except I did another quick search and found another post about the AS-D2, stating that this DE razor was manufactured using a metal injection molding (MIM) process. Which is a similar concept. One might expect Seki Edge to use the same process for manufacturing both razors. A process that makes sense for the more complex shapes involved.

Ignoring the shave head shape difference which obviously affects the shave, it is clear that the DX is an uncoated surface of high quality. I have an older Kai Excelia stainless and it looks practically brand new, though it only has been used about 50 times so far.

It is unclear to me whether or not the SS has a surface coating. Which may or may not be more prone to damage from the faucet, dropping, etc. In either case the stainless steel is not under any stress while shaving. It might take years of shaving on the beach to see any "wear" to either type of stainless, but even that is doubtful with decent care.

My only concern about the longevity of the Feather SS ($59) is the internal spring mechanism that allow for blade loading and ejection. The other concern is damage to the posts that form the hinge mechanism. Careless reattachment and misalignment could break or bend these posts. I suspect these two mechanisms are present in the DX model as well.

As with any tool, failure to properly maintain could reduce it's useful life.

I share your concerns @Twelvefret. I worry less about the leaf spring since that could more easily reproduced as an aftermarket item assuming there was enough volume on sales and enough failures to warrant Seki or a third party to address (sort of a counterproductive measure).

I worry more about the small pins but I will say that I have slightly misaligned mine a few times when trying to load a new blade and the part never flinched or gave reason for any concern. After some time the "user error" when reloading a fresh blade goes down.

But still the jury is out on the pin durability. I have used mine enough across a few different razors: Feather RG, Feather DX, Kai Excelia to think that the pin design is inherently good; in that it must be difficult to generate enough pressure with ones fingers when trying to press and put the two halves back together.

I share your concerns @Twelvefret. I worry less about the leaf spring since that could more easily reproduced as an aftermarket item assuming there was enough volume on sales and enough failures to warrant Seki or a third party to address (sort of a counterproductive measure).

I worry more about the small pins but I will say that I have slightly misaligned mine a few times when trying to load a new blade and the part never flinched or gave reason for any concern. After some time the "user error" when reloading a fresh blade goes down.

But still the jury is out on the pin durability. I have used mine enough across a few different razors: Feather RG, Feather DX, Kai Excelia to think that the pin design is inherently good; in that it must be difficult to generate enough pressure with ones fingers when trying to press and put the two halves back together.

I’ve not been dismantling to replace the blade, just squeezing the mechanism and dropping one in allowing gravity to settle the blade.

You’re like me in taking care of your tools. I suspect they should last us a long time.

M

member 119848

Quality is subjective there... They are both quality made, and are both durable.
The DX has a nicer finish. Period.
Are you ready to pay a premium for this? That´s up to you.
I don´t feel ripped off. But if you do, then don´t buy it. (the DX)
Let me say something though... one day you will forget the price, but will continue to enjoy the product.

The biggest difference between them as I see it is that the edge of the blade on the DX runs almost straight out to the blade. Whereas on the SS it has a more pronounced convex curve at the edge of the blade. I believe the idea is that the SS pulls your skin a bit and makes it easier to shave without cutting. The DX "feels" more like a straight.

My 2 cents I have both and a Kai Captain and I rate them DX #1, Kai #2, SS #3 in terms of performance. I Don't really care about the aesthetics myself. When compared to a traditional straight the DX is not a bad price. Again just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom