What's new

Feather DX Arrival

Hi guys, as some of you may remember Ive been waiting on a Feather DX to arrive from Japan for some time now. Initially it was a razor I thought was way over priced & I couldnt see how a tiny bit extra blade exposure/different blade angle could justify the significant price increase but I figured Id give it a go & sell it if it wasnt that much different from my 2 Feather SS shavettes. This is one of the rare occasions where Im happy to admit I was wrong. Ive read on other posts that the scales were thicker & of a higher quality than the SS..Im still on the fence about that theory but without doubt the blade holder is much heavier & higher quality than the SS. Another thing I noticed straight away was how silky smooth it was to open & close compaired to my other 2 SS versions. The blade holder is alot more polished to & because of this the lather just slides straight off as soon as its run under the tap..far easier than it does on the SS. Now as far as the shave..absolutely fantastic. By far the closest shave Ive had from a shavette & while I was very cautious about the more aggressive blade angle at first those worries were soon gone & in all honesty its as good or easier to use than the SS. I cant quite describe in words what makes it so much better to shave with than the other Feather shavettes but Im sure other people that have both know what I mean. In short do I think its worth the money & would I buy it again..absolutely.

Attachments

• 44D1F2BC-A555-49D5-881E-6BFBED5C813E.jpeg
    44D1F2BC-A555-49D5-881E-6BFBED5C813E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
Glad that you are happy with your new DX. I do not own a SS but I have a number of shavettes and think that the DX is practically a work of art. A razor which is hard to exceed unless considering a custom made straight .

M

member 119848

Hi Jonas,
I'm glad you enjoy your new toy. Some day you will have completly forgotten the price, and you will still use your DX as a workhorse.
I still love my SS. But somehow the DX is the razor I use the most these days.
With Tabac, your setup looks just like mine :001_smile
5B2F45FC-CEC0-4B04-A90D-E4D79CBC0F28.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words guys. @Fabi already over the price..if I had of known they were this good I would of got one years ago. Nice set up btw, u have excellent taste:a29:

The differences between the DX and SS are subtle and if you compare them on paper they don't seem worth it. Every tiny nuance in a straight razor makes a huge difference. The choices Feather made with the DX design allows for the greatest range of experience in terms of blade useability and cutting profile allowing for a much broader range of strokes and shaving experience.

Feather have got these design decisions bang on with the DX. It is worth the extra cost to be able to shave with this flexibility.

Enjoy!

@Seveneighth I couldnt agree more with what Ive experienced so far. I shave exactly the same with the DX & its a noticibly closer shave than with the SS which Im putting down to the more aggressive blade profile. All in all its definitely a quality bit of gear.

I shave exactly the same with the DX & its a noticibly closer shave than with the SS which Im putting down to the more aggressive blade profile.

Which blade? If you have tried different blades on DX and on SS, how does each combination compare for you?

The bottom of the page for barber products at "feather co jp / en" has a diagram of the blades -- see rectangle with PS-20, PG-15, PC-20, PSF-15.

Last edited:
I still love my SS. But somehow the DX is the razor I use the most these days.

Same questions as above:

Which blade? If you have tried different blades on DX and on SS, how does each combination compare for you?

The bottom of the page for barber products at "feather co jp / en" has a diagram of the [five types of] blades -- see rectangle with [PB-20], PS-20, PG-15, PC-20, PSF-15.

I would recommend trying all the Feather blades to see which ones you like the best. At least try the Professional and Super Professional and Proguards, to get a sense of how they feel and which you like the best.

The only ones I would not recommend are the Light blades. After months of using the Professional blades without incident I could not get a nick-free shave with the Light blade (green dispenser) in a Feather DX razor. The small blade exposure made it difficult to cut whiskers when holding the razor at a shallow angle, and when increasing the angle I started getting a few nicks, especially on my upper lip which is an area I had never had any issue shaving before.

This is a good observation, thanks!:

The small blade exposure [of the Light blade, PL-20, (green dispenser) in a Feather DX razor] made it difficult to cut whiskers when holding the razor at a shallow angle, and when increasing the angle I started getting a few nicks, especially on my upper lip which is an area I had never had any issue shaving before.

M

member 119848

Same questions as above:
Hello sg.,
as recommended above, I would also suggest that you try different blades.
I find the Feather ProGuards excellent to learn how to shave with this type of razor, as they provide addee protection.
I used the Feather Professionals most of the time.
Some members love the Schick blades (which I haven´t tried), but seem to be worth trying.

I have both the DV & SS non folding. The DX I have had for over three years while the SS is a new acquisition, having only thirty something shaves on it. I see no noticeable difference in build quality. Any difference in how close they shave is extremely small.

The other night I stropped a Kai Pink blade in the SS. It was a little tired after nine shaves. I was rewarded with possibly the most comfortable and closest shaves I have ever had.

I think now that I have perfected the way I shave with the SS I make it shave just as well as the DX. I think that pressure and angle needs to be more precise to achieve the same result.

Top Bottom