What's new

Feather Deluxe shaving razor

R

romsitsa

Hello!

Made a few detail shots and comparisons to continue the thread of mjclark:

Couldn't find anything on the the razor, as it looks like the lovechild of the last iteration of the British Superspeed and a Starburst, I opt for the 70ies, as a production date.
It comes with 15 Feather hi-stainless blades, and used blade box, all wrapped up in a plastic case with translucent lid. My example has a broken latch and the blade "manual" missing.
The bottom of the head is marked Feather and made in Japan, Deluxe is printed on the shipping box an upper lid of the case.
The razor is nickel plated brass, finish is pretty good, weight is 60 g, a tad heavier than a US big head flare tip (57 g).
My example has a slightly twisted head, but I can't determine what exactly is off, and as I have no hopes to find a backup, I won't fiddle with it.
As it looks mint, I suspect it left the factory this way, luckily I couldn't feel the blade being off, while shaving.

How it's exactly assembled, remains a mistery. I suspect the tto knob is held in place by a C clamp (like a Merkur or Rotbart), the center rod goes all the way down and is held in place by another C clamp. My theory is that after removing the C clamp from the rod, the whole head could be screwed out and the tto knob could be pulled from the handle. Opening and closing is smooth, just like a British "Rocket".
Center of gravity is at the top end of the knurling, could say it's spot on, but too low for my taste, as I like to hold my razors just under the base and rest the end of the handle on my pinky.

How does it shave? It's really smooth with medium efficiency (blade was a vintage Rubie, around a Spoiler or British Wilkinson). It needed two passes to reach what a Flare tip would do in three, but for a true BBS it would require serious touch ups, but thats my problem with almost all TTO-s. All together, I'd say it's a better Superspeed/Rocket on a longer handle.

IMG_0250.jpg IMG_0251.jpg IMG_0252.jpg IMG_0246.jpg IMG_0248.jpg IMG_0249.jpg IMG_0254.jpg IMG_0255.jpg IMG_0257.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R

romsitsa

Minor update, figured out why the blade gap is crooked. End connectors are tack welded to the center bar, and one sits lower than the other. QC was not at its finest.
At least its irrepairable, so I don't have to mess with it.

R

romsitsa

Last minor update, contacted Feather (their customer service is top notch) and I was told that this set was marketed around the early 60ies.

Top Bottom