What's new

Feather DE Blades Revisited

I started wetshaving again about 2 years ago. I read the threads on the old wetshavers forum and ordered a Merkur DE from classicshaving. I also ordered a box of Merkur blades. I was at Enchante at the beginning of 2005 and bought a box of Feather blades. I found them to be sharper than the Merkur blades. I was quite happy with the blades for about a year. I bought several boxes of the blades and was stocked up for another year.

A few months ago Kyle gave me a few Derby blades to try. I found them to be sharp and switched over to the Derbys. I bought quite a few boxes of the Derby blades. I thought I had found the perfect blade.

About 2 weeks ago I found the feather blades in my cabinet and decided to try them again. I loaded up a feather blade in my Gillette Aristocrat and used it with SaintCharles shave soaps. I have to tell you that I got one of the best shaves I have ever had. I may need to switch back to the feathers.

Feathers are the sharpest things out there besides the teeth of a Pirhana (Serrasalmus spilopleura) ?
The swedish Gillette are a close 2nd if it comes to Sharpness but I like the Swedish a tiny bit better smooth wise nonetheless ordered 250 Feathers when CBC had the deal to be sure I dont run out of them.

I have not yet had a great experience with the feather blades. Every few months I do revisit one, but I've not yet experienced the magic. I'm not wholly convinced that my face can handle them. This is not currently a bad problem for me, however, because I do have several hundred Derby's to work my way through.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
With The Grain said:
pic looks like a Pygocentrus nattereri (red belly) to me, if you want a mean piranha look out for an elong or manueli :eek:

I always thought the meanest Piranhas were Doug and Dinsdale.:tongue_sm

I was also a Feather-fan for a month or so, then tried a Derby from John's sampler pack to switch things up a bit.

Needless to say, just purchased 100 Derbys via the Bay and have found my new favorite blade, to which I will be eternally loyal.

Until I find a better one.:wink:

While I have Astras, Euro-Gillettes, Derbys, ASRs, and Merkurs, they just sit in the closet and attract dust. For me, none compare to the Feathers in terms of smoothness and closeness of shaves.

I like the Feathers as well, but I have yet to try the Derby's. The closest razor in sharpness to the Feathers is the Sweedish Gillette and it seems to be a little more forgiving than the Feathers. Still though, I must get some Derby's to try out for myself.

ouch said:
I always thought the meanest Piranhas were Doug and Dinsdale.:tongue_sm

"I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug" :w00t:

One of the best MP sketches (along with Spanish inquisition and Mr. Neutron).

and to keep it on topic, I, too, use nothing but Feathers. The only blade I haven't tried is the Derby, but I don't know if it could be good enough for me to switch.

O.K.

I can't decide between the feathers or the derby's for my first shave. I haven't seen enough opinions from people who own both.

bigDee said:
I can't decide between the feathers or the derby's for my first shave. I haven't seen enough opinions from people who own both.

I own both and have used them. I would order the derbys because they are less harsh for new wetshavers.

Someone tell me why would they chose the derby over the feather, if the feather is sharper? Is the only reason to chose derby is if your skin can't handle it?

Top Bottom