What's new

Feather blades <$$$>

Haven’t purchased double edge blades in a while. Went to Amazon (they get a lot of my money), couldn’t believe the price for 100 feather double edged blades- $50

Why so much?!? They sell 100 Astras for about $8 which is reasonable. Can’t remember what I paid for 100 Feather blades last go around but, I’m sure it was less than half that. What say you?

That does seem much higher than what I've paid before.

Honestly though, it's a minor annoyance IMHO.

That price is much higher than most other blades you can buy but is still a great value relative to cartridges for example.

I usually take a Feather to four shaves before tossing so that works out to about 12 cents per blade for me. Not as low as most others but I'll still take it, especially as it's one of my favorites.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
That seems a bit higher than you'd find if you shopped around, but not alarming. I use Feather blades 95% of the time and don't mind the extra cost. Especially when broken down to a per blade cost. A 100 blade purchase will easily last me over a year.

Haven’t purchased double edge blades in a while. Went to Amazon (they get a lot of my money), couldn’t believe the price for 100 feather double edged blades- $50

Why so much?!? They sell 100 Astras for about $8 which is reasonable. Can’t remember what I paid for 100 Feather blades last go around but, I’m sure it was less than half that. What say you?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I can buy 100 Feather DE blades here in the UK for £19.99 so $50 seems expensive. That said, Feather are not a favourite of mine and once my small stock is used up or given away then I will not buy them again.

Yep, gotta shop around for Feather blades. I don't use Feather DE, but I do buy the ProGuard AC blades and see them as high as $28, down to $16 on sale. You just have to shop around or wait for sales.

I hate getting spam email, but have gotten on some mailing lists to be notified of sales at Italian Barber, Maggards, The Razor Co (etc) so I can buy the blades for less.

I do not consider either Astra SP green or Feather yellow blades to be good value, but for entirely different reasons.

I do not find that Astra SP blades to be sharp enough to cut through my beard without tugging. They are quite uncomfortable for me. I purchased a 100 pack of blades and used only a couple of them. The remainder will never be used. Thus, they were a poor purchase.

Feather blades have the opposite issue. They are super sharp, but the edge tends to be quite fragile. After a couple of shaves, the blade deteriorates to the point it feels harsh on my face. Many others have had a similar experience with Feather blades. Thus, they are a poor value for me also.

Razor blades are very much as YMMV thing. If Astra SP blades are sharp enough for your beard, then they would be a good value for you. If you can use Astra SP blades without an issue, you have no need to consider Feather blades.

There are plenty of blades that are sharper than Astra SP green and less fragile and Feather Hi-Stainless. I suggest you consider purchasing a blade sampler pack and try enough different blades to learn what works best in your razors with your beard and your skin. If you have multiple razors like I do, you might find that you need several different blades for each razor to optimize your shave.

This is funny. I could literally say everything that’s been written here.

But on a personal note:

I bought a sampler pack. All of the blades worked well for me (I don't have a heavy beard and tend to shave every one or two days). Of the ones in the pack; I like the Astra SP and Feather best. The Astra is less expensive but the Feather usually feels good for one or two extra shaves.

I’m getting towards the end of the sampler and will probably buy 100 of the Astras. I like that that they come in a thin cardboard packet rather than the plastic. Though it’s a cool design for disposing of the used blades, I’m reducing my use of plastics whenever possible. I have a ceramic container for the used blades.

I do find, though, that the Feather shaves closer than the Astra in my Muhle 106. The Astra is perfect in my Rocca.

I get 10 to 15 shaves out of a feather...maybe more; I don't pay real close attention. Feather is my favorite blade, so I would probably pay $50 for 100 of them if I had to.

That being said, I just bought my 2nd 100 blade order from italianbarber.com about 6 months ago...cost me $30 at the most...I want to say it was actually $19.99.

I love feathers. I don't get a better shave on a fresh blade than any other blade. I think after shave 1 a feather blade becomes much less keen and i find them to be far more forgiving but it's harder to get an insanely close shave after shave 2. They're basically good for 2 shaves and then performance drops off a cliff after that. For that reason, Feathers don't make a great blade for the every day shaver or you'll be spending a ton of money on steel and going through 3 or 4 blades weekly- that's a lot of blades. I think if you're a 2 or 3 day a week shaver there is no better than a Feather blade. For me, the Nacet is the next best blade, then BIC Chrome Platinums. The BIC is actually perfect for the every day shaver-they seem to improve with some use before they drop off the cliff at shave #4.

I can use any blade for many shaves, but i can't get that insane closeness with any blade past shave #3. Pretty much every blade i've ever used can stand to get tossed after the 3rd shave- feather even less.

You can purchase Feather blades on razorbladesclub.com for $35.95 per 100.
Another Japanese blade that I feel is just as sharp as a Feather blade, and in my experience lasts far longer is a Kai. Amazon has them for $35.00 a 100.

For 0.50 cents a blade for feathers you can get some good vintage blades for that or less. That are as good or better for quality and longevity...

Just shop around, that price is insane. I got 100 Feathers for $20 not too long ago on a sale. Still, I got Perma-Sharp Supers for $10/100 and BIC Chrome Platinum for $14/100 and have been pretty pleased with them.

This is funny. I could literally say everything that’s been written here.

But on a personal note:

I bought a sampler pack. All of the blades worked well for me (I don't have a heavy beard and tend to shave every one or two days). Of the ones in the pack; I like the Astra SP and Feather best. The Astra is less expensive but the Feather usually feels good for one or two extra shaves.

I’m getting towards the end of the sampler and will probably buy 100 of the Astras. I like that that they come in a thin cardboard packet rather than the plastic. Though it’s a cool design for disposing of the used blades, I’m reducing my use of plastics whenever possible. I have a ceramic container for the used blades.

I do find, though, that the Feather shaves closer than the Astra in my Muhle 106. The Astra is perfect in my Rocca.
Have you ever considered the Astra Superior Stainless blade in the blue packaging? They are priced similar to the greens, perhaps slightly higher, but they are significantly sharper than the SP blades. If your shaving skills are good enough for you to use Feather blades without blood loss, but your beard is not too coarse for the SPs, you might find the SS blues to be a great in between blade. There are lots of mid-sharp blades that you might consider such as Gillette Platinums. Dorco Prime Platinum blades and BIC Chrome Platinum blade are on the sharper side, but they are great blades.

Thank you for all that chimed in on the cost of feather blades (100 count). I’ve also enjoyed reading how others use this and other brands of blades, number of uses per blade etc. i myself and it’s 1 and done. If I shave once a week that’s a lot. I used to keep myself clean shaven but anymore, I just don’t have the interest. Speaking of, I think I joined up here around 2011? Back then I hung out mostly in the straight razor forums. I was a big fan of keeping my razors sharpened with Belgian coticules although I also used a few Jnats and film, synthetic stones not often though I have a good selection. Last time I got out all of my straight razors I counted 77 of them. Seldom would I part with one. I have buttload of DE and SE razors too yet the one I shave with used to be referred to as the Sledgehammer. That and a feather blade is my choice of shaving tools. Someone mentioned Kai Japanese blades. I have those too but I prefer the feather over Kai. Kai seems to be a thicker blade. I like the fragile-ness of the thin feather blade and call me lazy but I only use them once. I don’t really care to invest any time cleaning and drying a disposable blade, nor have I ever left a blade in a DE razor to be used again. Sure I have once or twice but after getting cut by leaving a blade in a razor. Let’s just say it never worked for me, so I abandoned that practice. More power to those that wish to get multiple uses out if a disposable blade. I admire your frugalness

Anywho, I did a search for best price 100 count Feather de razor blade. eBay caught my eye as they are offering 100 count shipped for $29.99. I’m sure if I spent more time digging around I could find Festher blades for less yet I’ll likely pull the trigger on an eBay purchase

Again, if I wasn’t clear, I just don’t shave very often and as of late, like the feather/sledgehammer combo. Yes, there are other blades that work well in this chosen/preferred de razor yet the feather works so well for my skin/razor. I wish I had more spare time for if I did, I’d spend it caring for a few straight razor edges but for some reason I rather enjoy shaving with my sledgehammer feather combo. You fellows know how it is. Keep the faith, don’t let things get too complicated, live forever

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
It’s never too late to have a happy childhood

If you like the Feather blades in your sledgehammer razor, but do not like the price for a one-and-done shaving experience, then you might want to consider either the Gillette Nacet or the BIC Chrome Platinum. While they are not quite as sharp out of the wrapper as Feather blades, the Feather blades lose sharpness as you shave while the other two blades become sharper. By the end of your shave the Nacet and BIC blades will be as sharp or sharper than the Feather according to the data on the Refined Shave web site.

If you are only using a blade for one shave, $0.50 per Feather blade is rather expensive. Nacets and BICs are both under $17 per 100, so they are about 1/3 the cost of Feather blades, but should give you a similar shaving experience.

you might want to consider either the Gillette Nacet or the BIC Chrome Platinum

The Bic is my favorite blade and it's not even close. I've used them in every type of razor from the mildest to the wildest. OC, SB, Slants, whatever. For me, they just work really well in everything. And, as mentioned, damn sharp. Not to mention..no wax in the package.

I do not consider either Astra SP green or Feather yellow blades to be good value, but for entirely different reasons.

I do not find that Astra SP blades to be sharp enough to cut through my beard without tugging. They are quite uncomfortable for me. I purchased a 100 pack of blades and used only a couple of them. The remainder will never be used. Thus, they were a poor purchase.

Feather blades have the opposite issue. They are super sharp, but the edge tends to be quite fragile. After a couple of shaves, the blade deteriorates to the point it feels harsh on my face. Many others have had a similar experience with Feather blades. Thus, they are a poor value for me also.

Razor blades are very much as YMMV thing. If Astra SP blades are sharp enough for your beard, then they would be a good value for you. If you can use Astra SP blades without an issue, you have no need to consider Feather blades.

There are plenty of blades that are sharper than Astra SP green and less fragile and Feather Hi-Stainless. I suggest you consider purchasing a blade sampler pack and try enough different blades to learn what works best in your razors with your beard and your skin. If you have multiple razors like I do, you might find that you need several different blades for each razor to optimize your shave.
Hi RayClem, Curious if you've ever tried carbon steel blades such as Treet "Black Beauties". If so how does the initial sharpness compare to a Feather blade on the first shave. Realize carbon steel blades quickly corrode but could be a more economical "one or two and done" blade than Feathers. In theory carbon steel, being harder than stainless, could be honed to a really sharp edge for that first shave.

Top Bottom