What's new

Feather Blades

Tomorrow begins week three of using a Feather blade. Until now, I have used store brand Personna blades. I don't see a difference. What am I missing?

Randy

Wow...I've found the Feather blades to be the sharpest of any blade that I've ever used. It's only been till recently that I have fine tuned my technique to use them in a Merkur Futur at the wide open setting--and man do they provide one extremely close shave.

That's real interesting Randy. I'm assuming you're getting good shaves. And if that is the case, then either you got a bad batch of Feather blades (there has been some speculation about quality control issues with the Feathers) or those are super sharp Personnas.

Randy,

I don't know. I have been through a couple of packs of Personna blades and have been happy with them. I follow the same routine...Sunday night clean up the razor and replace the blade. The Feathers were included with a razor I got on trade. I was actually nervous about using them based on the bloodletting stories I have read. Maybe I am just giving the blade the respect it deserves and not being aggressive enough. Shaves are good, but I can't see paying the difference.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Randy,

I don't know. I have been through a couple of packs of Personna blades and have been happy with them. I follow the same routine...Sunday night clean up the razor and replace the blade. The Feathers were included with a razor I got on trade. I was actually nervous about using them based on the bloodletting stories I have read. Maybe I am just giving the blade the respect it deserves and not being aggressive enough. Shaves are good, but I can't see paying the difference.

Randy
Howdy Randy,
It's odd.. With some razors, the Feathers are the only blade that gives me a good, close shave. That is particularly true with the Merkur Slant Bar.

Ron,

I put in a fresh Feather last night. Standard 3 passes, don't see any difference! Mabye I'm just not in tune with the "force"!

Randy

Randy,

I'm a very new DE re-user (learned how on a DE 35 years ago). That said, I used some Wilkinson blades in a Gillette barn door that Tony Espo gave me and while the blades were nice, they were NOTHING like the Feathers that I just got. My first shave with them yesterday was simply amazing. NO pressure at all needed, absolutely the closest shave I ever got. I sit this morning and type this and my face is still about as smooth as it usually is had I shaved a few hours ago with a "conventional" system......

Again, a newbie at this, but IMO you either got some really special Personna's or some bad Feathers.

Can I send you a "good" one to compare?

Rich

Rich,

I have acquired additional Feathers to compare with. Thanks for the offer, but I think I am set!

Randy

guenron said:
Howdy Randy,
It's odd.. With some razors, the Feathers are the only blade that gives me a good, close shave. That is particularly true with the Merkur Slant Bar.

I tried my Slant Bar with a Feather blade and it was amazing.

The only DE's that ive used have been feather and merkur on a HD and ive always received a better shave with the feathers...but of course as Austin said you are a superhero.

Paul,

I've continued using them, and my last experience was horrible, of course I had moved from my trusty HD Classic to a Gillette Adjustable. Not a good move for me. I haven't tried the ones I bought from you. It's possible that my first package was not up to par.

Randy

S

stubble trouble

feathers are without a doubt the sharpest blade I know of. I have tried dozens of brands, but the feather blade is a man amongst boys. I just ordered some dorcos just to see how they measure up - Dorco's are just fine, but you can't expect the same closeness and number of shaves from them. 2-3 shaves w/ dorco and 4-6 with feathers. I like to switch up periodically though. Next purchase will be feathers. Sharpest blades out there.

Top Bottom