What's new

Feather Blades

Ok,

So how much sharper and more comfortable are feather blades compared to the average over the counter stuff and Merkur? I'm really tempted to take the plunge and get the 10 pack of Feathers. Are they THAT much better? Can someone kinda give me a gauge as to their difference from everything else?

Any help here would be appreciated before I pull the trigger on a $30.97 order.

Thanks guys!

:cool:

I find the feathers to cause me more irritation than other blades. However, Im a big *****...

Im sure other members will say they swear by them, so Im just offering my expirience. Id be glad to trade you some feathers for some Merkurs. PM me. Also, there is a special on Feather blades at www.cottonblossomcrafts.com Hope this helps:biggrin:

As with things where one size does NOT fit all, the issue of razor blades will arise. The ideal razor blade is the one that works best with your razor shaving regime, and beard. While most of us are guilty of disobeying this great C&W lyric, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" unless you thirst for additional insight into your daily shave or are not satisfied with your results, why fool with mother nature?:lol:
---
A Devout Feather User,
Ron

Does the type of bird the feathers come from have an impact on the quality of the shave? Also does the feather location, where plucked from the bird, has anything to do with the resulting shave?

Ron

Arby said:
Does the type of bird the feathers come from have an impact on the quality of the shave? Also does the feather location, where plucked from the bird, has anything to do with the resulting shave?

Ron
Only if it's the south end of a bird heading north..:lol:
BTW,, I started reading the pdf in the evening.

P

PortsmouthDavid

Yes, Feather blades really are a little different, IMHO.

Obviously, YMMV. But my experience with the Feather was as follows:

1) I have a very thick, tough beard and very sensitive skin.

2) The Feather blade cuts through and reduces the beard like nothing I've ever seen . . . SCARY sharp (like a scalpel, maybe).

3) Unfortunately, for me personally, it also roughed up my skin. Left me with significant irritation.

I really admire the Feather for its sharpness, but it didn't work for me personally given my tough beard / sensitive skin combination. FWIW, I do better with the Swedish Gillettes, which seem to be darn near as sharp, but somehow "kinder."

Good luck!

David

So far, I have tried the Astra, Merkur, Euro-Gillette, Derby Extra, and Feather. My experiences have led me to discard all of the other blades except the Feathers (my #1 blade) and the Derby's (#2 blade). I have only sparingly used the Merkurs and thus would like to try them again, but that said, I find that the Feathers give me a very close and comfortable shave. My skin tends to break out easily and for that I say I have "sensitive" skin. For me, again, the feathers give the least irritation (usually none) of all the blades I have used....but YMMV.

Yeah, the Feathers are sharp, but I find them inconsistent. One will shave as smooth as butter, and the next will be the blade from Hell.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Justso said:
Ok,

So how much sharper and more comfortable are feather blades compared to the average over the counter stuff and Merkur?

Feathers are sharp, and I like them. I'm just not sure that the word comfortable is appropriate.:em2700:

S

Sam

Well, for me, they are comfortable. Sharper than Merkur or Personnas, or Isreaeli or the Derby I tried. Even Wikinson. I now have two adjustable Gillettes, a Fatboy being one, and the Feather in those is smoother than in the vision.

Sam

I took advantage of the Feather special which JakAHearts mentioned above. Personally, I find that the Feather blades provide a smoother, more comfortable, shave than Merkurs (especially in the wierd hair-growth angle neck area). In my opinion, they are worth a try.

- Justin

I think Feather Blades go together like bacon and eggs in a Merkur or Hoffritz Slant Bar Razor,(as some of you know it's the same razor).

Stanley

Just to make a point of fact------I have an average beard, tender skin but my beard grows in all differant ways on my face. That is the main reason I like the slant bar razor soooo much.

Stanley

I think that Feathers are definitely a cut above the rest in a sense that you WILL notice a difference in sharpness as compared to Mercur for instance.

However, the type of DE razor one uses makes a big difference. I used Feathers with Mercur Heavy Duty DE razor and occasionally would get razor burn and irritation but once I switched to Gillette Adjustable I hardly ever get razor burn anymore.
I use settings 2 and 3 on my cheeks and switch to 1 when shaving sensitive neck area. Much better than an aggressive Mercur DE that cannot be adjusted.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I never tried my adjustables on a "1". Now I have to. I'll get around to it as soon as I break in my new bakelite injector, Milord, and Aristocrat.

Then again, by that time I may have some new aquisitions to break in.

Ahem. I hereby resolve to use my Gillette adjustables set to a "1" in this calendar year. Or at least next year.:001_rolle

I've adopted the 'do-Ron-Ron' approach of having my Futur set WIDE open on a 6 for the first N-S pass and then dialing back to a 1.5 for the subsequent across the grain passes. (Thanks Ron!):biggrin:

I tried it yesterday with a new Feather blade and it worked flawlessly! I almost didn't shave this morning because I had such little stubble growth - however I just had to try out my new Feather straight which you can read about here.

Justso said:
Ok,

So how much sharper and more comfortable are feather blades compared to the average over the counter stuff and Merkur? I'm really tempted to take the plunge and get the 10 pack of Feathers. Are they THAT much better? Can someone kinda give me a gauge as to their difference from everything else?

Any help here would be appreciated before I pull the trigger on a $30.97 order.

Thanks guys!

I have been working my way through a sampler pack of blades that included; Derby, Euro-Gillette’s, Merkur, and Feather’s. I was very nervous about using the Feathers’ based on what I have read here and elsewhere.

Two weeks ago I finally tried the Feathers’ after setting my Vision back to “1”. They are simply outstanding and have provided the best shaves yet. Absolutely nary a nick or red spot in sight until I forgot about that new pimple on my jaw line this morning.

This is now my blade of choice and I did buy the 100 blade deal from www.cottonblossomcrafts.com.

I tried the Feather blade in the Vision and got the absolute best shave I have ever experienced. Consequently I also order the 100 pack of Feather blades from www.cottonblossomcrafts.com. I also get better results with the Feather in both the Merkur HD and with the Gillette Fat Boy but not as a dramatic improvement as with the Vision.

Bud

Top Bottom