What's new

feather blades

I started with Wilkinsons then went to Derby and then to Feathers, TBH I lie feathers, but if my technique slips (which being a lefty it occasionally does....), then I pay the price, however it's a razor nick, your highly unlikely to sever an artery or anything.. go for it, you'll soon know if you like them or not, and remember BIG THING NO pressure :D

Tom

I don't like the feather in any other razor than my black head goodfella. So theres some 300 feathers in a bag waiting for their turn to take their place in the razor. A mild razor + Feather is like a luxury cruise on a quiet windless sea...

+1. It turned my annoyingly not close enough Super Speed into a go to.

In response to the OP, I would work out your technique first with some milder blades like Derbys, Crystals or Astras. Once you can get a decent shave without fretting over every stroke, you're probably ready. Feathers aren't forgiving with bad or sloppy technique.

Feathers are awesome. I have yet to find i blade that cuts like it, however they do not stay that sharp for that many shaves. I dont go beyond 4 myself.

I'd start with the Derby...it's pretty forgiving.

The best I have found is the Astra.

I tried the Feather and it IS sharpest...it didn't make me raw, but there were lots of little weepers and I was being very careful.

The second shave on the same Feather was great.

+1. It turned my annoyingly not close enough Super Speed into a go to.

In response to the OP, I would work out your technique first with some milder blades like Derbys, Crystals or Astras. Once you can get a decent shave without fretting over every stroke, you're probably ready. Feathers aren't forgiving with bad or sloppy technique.

There's more to it than just technique when talking about Feathers. I can use ANY blade except Feathers (and 7 O'Clock yellows) without nicks or irritation. That tells me my technique is fine. My guess is some people's skin is just such that it will not tolerated blades this sharp. Apparently, my skin is that way.

There's more to it than just technique when talking about Feathers. I can use ANY blade except Feathers (and 7 O'Clock yellows) without nicks or irritation. That tells me my technique is fine. My guess is some people's skin is just such that it will not tolerated blades this sharp. Apparently, my skin is that way.

Oddly, I'm the opposite. Astras, Derbys, Dorcos, and about 9 other blades were just plain uncomfortable for me. Only the 7 O'Clock blacks, Feathers and Sharks (3 of the sharpest out there) worked for me. A classic case of YMMV.

Feathers are about the only blade I use. I've been at the DE thing for a year and can finesse a Feather in any razor and get great shaves although my Fat Boy @ 7+ is a slower shave. :wink:

A Feather and an open comb Muhle is my new go-to. SUPER smooth, never a nick and a 100% BBS shave is just one pass away from my normal 2-1/4 pass routine. I do ditch them after 3-4 shaves but I haven't found a blade that is worth using beyond that anyway.

Did I mention that I didn't get into DE shaving to save $$$$?

Feathers are about the only blade I use. I've been at the DE thing for a year and can finesse a Feather in any razor and get great shaves although my Fat Boy @ 7+ is a slower shave. :wink:

A Feather and an open comb Muhle is my new go-to. SUPER smooth, never a nick and a 100% BBS shave is just one pass away from my normal 2-1/4 pass routine. I do ditch them after 3-4 shaves but I haven't found a blade that is worth using beyond that anyway.

Did I mention that I didn't get into DE shaving to save $$$$?

As your screen name implies, you must have a peachfuzz beard, because I couldn't imagine getting a BBS shave with only one pass regardlss of any of variables. I have a fairly heavy beard and it's going to take at least two passes for me to get BBS, and even then it's hit and miss.

I have tried sampler packs and have never used a blade more than one time - and some I have not even completed the first pass. I put in a Feather and don't have a problem. Can you cut yourself? Sure, and I have. I was in a hurry Thanksgiving and cut my EAR! Talk about not paying attention - geezz that will never happen again. But, I get at least 4 shaves from a Feather, I don't feel like I am scraping my face like I do with many blades.

Yes I cut myself, and I do get an occasional weeper, but I really don't think I will try another blade - well perhaps I'll try a Shark..... but I will not go out of my way to try a pack.

TBH I lie feathers, but if my technique slips (which being a lefty it occasionally does....), then I pay the price
Tom

Wai, wai, wait! How does being a lefty make you more prone to technique slip (being asked by a natural lefty)? I can slash up my face with a Feather quite equally shaving with either hand. :wink2:

Jeff in Boston

I had the 'misfortune' of ordering two ten packs of feather blades when I got my first DE. It wasn't until afterwards I learned of their reputation for being these uber-sharp monstrosities. It made me a little more worried about that first shave... I'm just now running out and will be ordering a variety pack to see what works for me, but I must say I've been happy with the feathers. The way I see it, if you can learn on those, everything else might be easier by comparison. Of course, I don't know this to be true, but I'll be sure to comment on it once my new blades arrive.

As your screen name implies, you must have a peachfuzz beard, because I couldn't imagine getting a BBS shave with only one pass regardlss of any of variables. I have a fairly heavy beard and it's going to take at least two passes for me to get BBS, and even then it's hit and miss.

Well, I actually said I ALMOST got a BBS shave after 2-1/2 passes:

A Feather and an open comb Muhle is my new go-to. SUPER smooth, never a nick and a 100% BBS shave is just one pass away from my normal 2-1/4 pass routine.

I actually have coarse facial hair and curly head hair. As a result, ingrown hairs can become problem. When I used a Sensor, to avoid ingrown hairs I only went with one WTG pass which gave me an acceptable shave but NEVER anything approaching BBS.

When I switched to a DE, I was amazed I could actually go for BBS and NOT get ingrown hairs. Time constraints and prior satisfaction with a few rough spots has made 2 to 2-1/2 passes with a Feather a great shave compared to where I used to be with a cartridge.

Feathers are awesome. I have yet to find i blade that cuts like it, however they do not stay that sharp for that many shaves. I dont go beyond 4 myself.

Have you tried a Kai?

I had my first Feather shaves a few days ago and I didn't notice they were particularly sharp. I haven't gotten a single weeper. I put it down to the fact that I've been using Kai blades for months. I feel that the two blades are pretty similar. I can always get 4 3-pass shaves out of a Kai.

You might want to give them a try. For me they are essentially the same as a Feather, but they last longer.

I can't use Feahters at all. They leave my face raw and bloody every time. I use nothing but Personna Reds and at just $.10 a blade I use a new one each time I shave, so I don't care how long they last.

where do you get the RPs for 10 cents per?

thanks

Im rather perplexed about my situation.!!! If my technique lacks using an Astra or Derby, my face is covered in irritation, however if i'm using a feather or Red i consistently get DFSs.
I think it's because of the warnings that are surrounded by those blades and hence i am probably more mentally prepared and alot more cautious when the feather and Red are loaded in my razor.

I'll throw in a recommendation for Super Iridium blades. Both they and 7 O'clock yellows do as good a job for me as Feathers, and cost a little less.

Respect, but don't fear any blade. Keep perfecting your technique and make sure your lather is good and you've prepped properly. Feather makes a great blade. It is sharp, but then again they are all sharp. Feathers tend to be just a little sharper and may irritate more if you apply pressure. Like anything else with wetshaving if you use a Feather a few times you'll get used to it an will know what to expect. If you find it's not for you then you've gotten some very good advice on what blades to try as well. Best of luck.

thanks, grampi. 10 cents is my kind of blade!

to the OP ...

in general newbies are steered away from feathers to some of the "milder" blades such as merkur or derby (although, as noted, they are all very sharp). so you may want to go that route. the sampler packs are a great idea for trying different blades.

i will add however that until or unless your technique is consistent, i don't think that you are going to be able to judge blade differences. it has taken me a long time (old habits die hard) to get what i think is some refinement of technique and i now think that i can tell some differences when before it was pretty much all over the map.

another variable is the razor you use. some blades seem to do better in one razor than another. the reason i asked about the RPs is that they have been outstanding in my merkur HD. my merkur progress seems to shave well with anything, my futur likes feathers, etc.

have fun with it.

Top Bottom