What's new

Feather blades, love or hate?

I use them exclusively. Yes, they are unforgiving but they force me to focus on my technique which for me, improves the whole experience. I find I can do so much in my day without really thinking about it consciously. My shave is a notable exception. I use once, turn it over for the second shave and then discard. I want the absolute sharpest edge.

My standards have shifted somewhat over the years, so I'm looking for different things from blades and razors than I used to. Would I shave with a Feather again? Sure would. Would I buy them? I've discovered other blades I like just as much that are cheaper, so no, probably not.

My standards have shifted somewhat over the years, so I'm looking for different things from blades and razors than I used to. Would I shave with a Feather again? Sure would. Would I buy them? I've discovered other blades I like just as much that are cheaper, so no, probably not.

+1

As we grow older, beards typically turn grey or white and become more difficult to shave. At the same time skin often becomes saggy and more sensitive, again making shaving more difficult. The aging process affects everyone differently, but there are changes that make shaving more difficult as a senior than as a young man. Thus, the blades that worked for you when you first started to shave might no longer work when you get older. Although anyone with good technique can use a blade that is both sharp and smooth, as you get older, the need for such blades becomes more important.

I keep going back and forth with this blade, love and hate. One shave will be great, next is a blood bath. I use mild razors, yet this blade only seems to work in certain razors. Anyone else have this same opinion?

Absolutely. I can use Feathers in 2 of my razors and get great shaves; not so much with the rest of the inventory. Those 2 are the Lady Gillette and the GameChanger .84 JAWS (and the regular .84 also).

It's all about the combo.
Feather + Muhle R41 = Food Processor.
Feather + Parker OC = Smooth as Glass BBS.

Very true. The Feather blade has to be paired w/ a razor of it's choosing or it will act out. I have 14 DE razors and only 2 work well w/ a Feather blade. I can shave everyday with the Feather/GC combo; trying that with the Feather/R41 combo would have me applying new skin on the 3rd day.

marty

After trying pretty much all the major DE blade brands, I've found Feather to be "THE blade" for me. The sharper - the better. I've used Feather DE blades in my Muhle R41, R89 and Parker SRX shavette (now retired). I am also using the Feather Professional Super blades in my Artist Club SS razor and LOVE them. Today's set-up 😊

1598623769321.png

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
A Feather blade loaded into a Merkur 38C was my first experience with DE shaving. That’s all they sold at the knife store where I bought the razor. After my first stroke I checked to see if the blade was really in there, I had removed the stubble so effortlessly. I have come to prefer another blade as my #1, but the Feather blade is a very sharp and effective tool IMHO.

These are the only DE blades I've used for years. I recently started shaving with different DE razors so I bought a tryablade pack to test new blades out. So far, Silver Star blades are challenging the Feathers, but I still have many more to try.

These are the only DE blades I've used for years. I recently started shaving with different DE razors so I bought a tryablade pack to test new blades out. So far, Silver Star blades are challenging the Feathers, but I still have many more to try.
Silver Star blades only cost $8/100, so quite a bargain!

Definitely don't hate them, definitely don't love them either. They are not my go to blade. I have tried them and I get why people like them, they are sharp but they are also not that smooth for me either.

Great for the first shave, but they drop off quickly. I’ve not gotten more than four shaves from a blade. They are unforgiving of a lapse of attention. I also am not crazy about the cost. They are twice the price of my go to blade, which isn’t as sharp as the Feather on the first shave, but is sharper and smoother on shave two thru seven.

In my Muhle r89 with a good long weekend camping trip, they're great. But for the price and longevity, I much prefer a GSB. There will always be a tuck in my den, but it's there to fill a single role only.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
They are in my top five, and my longest lasting blade. Not my outright favourite though, that's pretty much tied between Wilkinson Sword and Astra SP (though forced to choose one, it would be the Wilkie)

Top Bottom