What's new

Feather blades, love or hate?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That describes Feather blades perfectly. I guess people with beards that aren't tough might get more than two shaves from them, but why would anyone need to use Feather blades if they did not have a tough beard. Since Feather blades are more expensive per blade than a lot of other blades that will last twice as long, they do not represent a good value. I guess if you have no concern about blade costs and use you blades "one and done", Feather blades would be great.

My last 100 Feather blades worked out to $0.32CAD per blade. 16 cents a blade for two shaves is a price I'll pay.

Polsilver, on the other hand, for 20 shaves over 5 weeks ended up costing a cool $0.01CAD per blade lol. A full 5 weeks of shaves for a penny.

I can use just about any blade and have a very good to great shave but, when only the best shave will do, Feather is the blade.

I will admit that before I joined the forums in April, I really didn't know there were any other DE blades outside of Feathers. I didn't know that SE razors existed so there is that as well .. :)

Back to the Feather DE blades. They work well and I do not have a problem with them. Very efficient and close shaves. At times I found that they were too aggressive for me but a lot of that is to do with just my technique than anything else. Also, I junk them after 2 shaves anyway so pretty much never ran into an issue with them despite having very coarse hair.

Now that I have been using other blades I find that the Feathers are definitely not the most 'comfortable' blades for me. I also find the Feather DE's work better with the slightly milder razors for me than the aggressive ones.

Interestingly, same is true for me with the Feather Pro AC blades as well. I put them in a Vector and it works awesome. Put it in the ATT SE2 and not so much.

I will always have Feathers in my Shave Den. That much is for sure.

I can get 30 shaves out of one blade easy. My beard is not all that heavy but I shave every two or three days. Iy works for me.

I place them up there with BIC Chrome Platinum, Personna Labs Blues, Personna Israeli Reds and German Wilkinsons. I don't strive for longevity. Six shaves at most from any blade.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I maximize the Feather by using it with my Wolfman WR2 1.55 for the first two shaves; shaves 3-5 are paired with my Gillette Tech or RS-10 for several additional fantastic shaves.

The last time I used a Feather was when I started wet-shaving in December 2018. I was using a VDH TTO at the time, way too mild of a razor, and I tore myself up using a Feather. Also wasn't using properly hydrated lather either, which never helps. Vowed to never use a Feather again.

Fast forward to this morning, July of 2020, a solid 18 months later, and using a fresh Feather in an aggressive/efficient Razorock Game Changer JAWS open comb beast of a razor, I had one of the smoothest shaves EVER using a Feather. Just mowed down everything like it never existed and had zero blood or irritation, a truly magnificent shave.

To summarize, I have gone from hating.......to LOVING A FEATHER! 😍😍😍

The last time I used a Feather was when I started wet-shaving in December 2018. I was using a VDH TTO at the time, way too mild of a razor, and I tore myself up using a Feather. Also wasn't using properly hydrated lather either, which never helps. Vowed to never use a Feather again.

Fast forward to this morning, July of 2020, a solid 18 months later, and using a fresh Feather in an aggressive/efficient Razorock Game Changer JAWS open comb beast of a razor, I had one of the smoothest shaves EVER using a Feather. Just mowed down everything like it never existed and had zero blood or irritation, a truly magnificent shave.

To summarize, I have gone from hating.......to LOVING A FEATHER! 😍😍😍

As long as your technique is good, Feather's are good blades for at least a shave or two. The people that do not like them are those who have to change them out after two shaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Feather DE blades are great as long as your technique is good (Newbies :yikes:?) , I like them in milder razors and I get 4-6 shaves and then a toss.
Gem Personna SS PTFE blade or Personna SS PTFE injector blade are just as sharp but have a better life cycle IMO.
Any blade that feels sharp and not as smooth as a sharp & smooth tier blade on 1st or 2nd shave can indicate a very sharp blade from my limited experiences.
Feather also makes other blades for artist club razors AC & Oneblade + Valet auto-strop proprietary blades(Feather-FHS-10). The FHS-10 is good for only 1 or 2 shaves and it gets a toss, great first shave but no longevity at all & very expensive. Gem SS PTFE de-spined blade blows the doors off it> FHS-10 IMO.
blade_angle-se-de.gif
Might be the reason a SE lasts longer than DE blade?

Last edited:
Love Feathers, Used in their AS/D2 they always give a consistent close comfortable shave. I did try one once in my Timeless Ti on a medium plate and it nearly took my face off!!! But in the AS/D2 it's very forgiving and gives me my "go to" standard comfortable shave.
Incidentally, my worst ever blade used to be the Astra, I wouldn't give them room in the bathroom, but when tried in my Timeless after the above experience they turned out to be absolutely superb and are now one of my favourite shaving combinations!!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Not the best nor the worst. Sharp, not all that smooth. They work fine though, but don't have the longevity of other blades I've used. I prefer Kai to Feather.

I use them almost exclusively in my postwar Tech and get a great shave every time. As I recall, I did pop one into my Slim, and had to go down a setting for a comfortable shave. A Feather was quite efficient in the Red Tip. Haven't tried them in the SuperSpeed, Merkur, NEW, or Hoffritz Slant.

Used to love them, but now like...especially after finding Tatra Platinum, Polsilver, Wizamet...
Still, it is my top 5 DE blade and the most number of pieces in my inventory.
+1 Good in a mild razor!

Top Bottom