What's new

Feather blades, love or hate?

Feathers are good blades, but if I want the: "Holy crap that's a sharp blade" experience, I generally prefer Personna Med Prep or BIC Chrome Platinum because they're way above average for sharpness but seem to degrade more gracefully than most sharp blades. Blades that are more dull to begin with seem in general to degrade more predictably. They just tug more and more till you can't stand them. But really sharp blades can go from smooth to Hobart... so when I want that kind of experience I lean toward the Med Prep or the BIC or even the Gillette Platinum which is a sharper blade than most people seem to credit - and ages fairly predictably. But as with all things Blade related, YMMV.

My 30-something son-in-law has been wetshaving for over 10 years and always uses Feathers in his 34C. I, on the other hand, am old, retired and usually shave later in the day after a few-too-many G&T's. Feathers are too sharp for me and I prefer a more forgiving blade like Gillette Platinum, Astra SP or IP Red. We both toss our blades after 2 uses.

I love Feathers
I have really sensitive skin, yet a very coarse and thick beard
Use it in my Gillette Slim on a 3.
If people are complaining about irritation, nicks etc. from feathers it is probably because they are using a razor that is too aggressive. Made that mistake myself, but if you use a feather blade the right way, then you are in for some great shaves.

Sharp is no good without smooth. The blades I use are all at least as sharp and incredibly smooth. I'm a vintage only user, but when I was using modern blades I found Feathers awful. As I grew experienced and technique improved I would revisit them every so often. Never did like them, but don't go by me, blades are the most personal, ymmv part of our thing.

I think it depends on the razor. They're pretty good in my Fatip OC, but below average in my DE89.

I find them pretty rough after 2 shaves. I've come to the conclusion that there are much better blades available for a lot less money; I don't think I'll buy more when I run out.

As others have said - very sharp, but unforgiving. With Feathers, i either get a BBS fabulous shave or lots of tiny nicks.

Its probably me not concentrating enough, but i have found that Astra SP are 95% as sharp as Feathers, but a lot more smooth, forgiving and consistant (in my wobbly hands anyway !)

I still have a stock of Feathers and tend to use them on those occasions when i have a few days growth to mow down.

Great blades, I could use only Feather blades and be quite happy. I use (3) times and toss. The problem is that I have so many other blades I need to use up.

Love. I use a fresh one every shave so I never experience a dull blade. One of the many perks of DE shaving. Cheap enough in bulk.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Feathers for me are to be respected. I did not use them for a long time as I read all about the bloodbaths that members used to mention. After using them I find that a Feather in a milder razor such as a Tech or a Merkur 34 C/G give me excellent shaves.

Yeah, they're sharp. But so are Voskhods & BiC's and others. They're overpriced for the short shave life I get from them (4-5 tops) and I don't need to show off that I'm using an über spendy blade.

I like my blades to be very sharp and very smooth. Feather blades are very sharp, but they deteriorate quickly with my tough beard. I cannot even get through three shaves before they become very rough on my face. For that reason, I much prefer BIC Chrome Platinum, Nacet, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, PermaSharp Super, and Personna Israeli Reds. Although less well known, I also prefer Dorco Prime Platinum and SuperMax Blue Diamond blades.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Feather blades, after struggling with harshness from them for over a year, have moved into my #1 blade slot. A fresh Feather in my Fatip Grande is equal to, if not slightly smoother and more comfortable, my MMOC.

My Grande and a Feather consistently gives me my absolute best DE shaves. What changed my mind on them was finding the right soaps for my skin. Something I've recently been talking about in various journal threads.

Just the opposite for me. The more supple my skin is, the less irritation I can have. My skin reacts differently to different soaps. I learned that difference on my first shave with PdP. It made my skin so supple and forgiving that on the very first shave, all the harshness I struggled with for a year using Feather blades was gone. Completely gone.

Since then, thats my test for any new soap. If I can shave with a fresh Feather blade and not have irritation I know it agrees with my skin.

Soaps and creams that havent passed that test:
Proraso.
Stirling.
Tabac.
Castle Forbes cream.
Truefitt & Hill.
Midnight & Two.
Trumpers cream.

Soaps and creams that have passed that test:
Wickham 1912.
CRS cream.
PDP.
WK DM.
Captain's Choice cream.
Phoenix & Beau.
Nivea cream, either regular or sensitive.
Of those soaps Wickham is #1. Closely followed, in order, by PdP, WK DM, CRS/P&B tied and CC/Nivea tied. The differences between them are so slight as to not matter.

I'm confident SV and Cella will pass and fairly confident that Vitos will as well.

I like my blades to be very sharp and very smooth. Feather blades are very sharp, but they deteriorate quickly with my tough beard. I cannot even get through three shaves before they become very rough on my face. For that reason, I much prefer BIC Chrome Platinum, Nacet, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, PermaSharp Super, and Personna Israeli Reds. Although less well known, I also prefer Dorco Prime Platinum and SuperMax Blue Diamond blades.

I get two shaves per blade with Feather and the second shave is half as good as the first. I just ordered 100 Perma-Sharp Super's. Bic Chrome Platimum and Gillette Black I agree are great blades. I didnt like the Blue Diamond blades as much in my Grande, but in my NEW SC I cant tell them from a Polsilver until beyond shave 5.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Neither. I waited quite a while before trying them and I've never had a weeper using one - but I am also a little frightened and very careful during the shaves.

I find them quite poor in the longevity department - 2 to 3 shaves. As I can get a BBS with several other blades that are cheaper and more forgiving I rarely use Feathers.

I get two shaves per blade with Feather and the second shave is half as good as the first.

That describes Feather blades perfectly. I guess people with beards that aren't tough might get more than two shaves from them, but why would anyone need to use Feather blades if they did not have a tough beard. Since Feather blades are more expensive per blade than a lot of other blades that will last twice as long, they do not represent a good value. I guess if you have no concern about blade costs and use you blades "one and done", Feather blades would be great.

Top Bottom