What's new

Feather blade alternatives

If you like Feathers you really should at least try a pack of 5 Kai blades, IMO.
For me they're just as sharp but smoother than Feather blades.
Only trouble is they cost half as much again!

Bic Chrome Platinum, Polsilver SI & Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum are also very sharp blades.

If you like Feathers you really should at least try a pack of 5 Kai blades, IMO. For me they're just as sharp but smoother than Feather blades. Only trouble is they cost half as much again!

For "good value" I haven't found anything better than 100 Nacets from Jordan off eBay. They're genuine as well - as confirmed by several users.

For "good value" I haven't found anything better than 100 Nacets from Jordan off eBay. They're genuine as well - as confirmed by several users.
Yeah I tried some Nacets from the same seller - didn't work for me unfortunately.
They caused me slight irritation and bumps which I never get from the other blades I mentioned.

Paul is a very good retailer and this is an excellent choice of blades - all the likely suspects.

Agreed! Good selection, great service and quick delivery. I'm looking forward to testing the blades over the next couple months.

Thanks for the replies - very helpful as usual!

Thanks again for the replies. I've found a sample pack containing:
  • Astra Super Platinum
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
  • Gillette Nacet Stainless
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Gillette Silver Blue
  • Perma-Sharp Super
That should keep me busy for a few months!

Update: Perma-Sharp Supers are the best alternative to Feather blades for me. Sharp, smooth and I can get 4-5 irritation-free shaves with one.

I also really like GSBs, Astras and 7 O'Clock Yellows.

I'm thinking about buying a 100 pack of Perma-Sharp next month.

Honestly, i would not advise buying 100 of anything your first year. Every month your skills improve. A blade which is great or meh today may be something else in six months. Oh, if you switch razors, it is a whole new ball game.

Have fun!

Honestly, i would not advise buying 100 of anything your first year. Every month your skills improve. A blade which is great or meh today may be something else in six months. Oh, if you switch razors, it is a whole new ball game.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll get 25 and keep experimenting with other blades every now and then.

I'm still loving my DE89 so I'm not planning on buying a new razor just yet :302:

Bic Chrome Platinum and Personna Lab Blue (after the first shave) are the closest I've found so far, but I haven't tried a Kai yet

For sharpness straight out of the packet you can’t beat a Feather. This is supported by measurements of blade sharpness on the excellent Refined Shave website already mentioned. These same blade tests also show that Feather sharpness does not last long and a number of other blades are just as sharp on their second use as a Feather is on its first use. But for many people that breathtaking (or for some, flesh-taking) effortless first pass is indelibly imprinted on their mind (I know it is on mine). You only get one chance at a first impression and Feather will always win on that basis.

The other thing to consider is that blade sharpness is not a shave by shave step by step process and if measurements were taken during a shave it’s likely that they would show that a Feather has already lost a lot of it’s sharpness after the very first pass while blades like Polisivers, Nacet’s etc have increased . So really we may only be talking about a Feather first pass advantage rather than a first shave advantage

There's already been great suggestions. I agree on 7 O’Clock Yellow and Green, I haven’t tried the Indian Blacks Bic's, Persona Lab Blue or GSB’s but coincidentally have them all on order due to their good reputation. I have found Nacets are super sharp as are Polsilver’s I think maybe Polislvers win on longevity. Astra SP’s are a step down in sharpness but still a fantastic blend of sharp, smooth and durable. An excellent blade. About the only blade I can’t agree on is German Wilkie's I find them dull, not as bad as Dorcos and Derby's but close. According to The Refined Shave they measure very sharp and a lot of people like them, so what do I know? Maybe I need to re-test them. Strangely while I disagree on the review of German Wilkie's I largely agree with the review of the Indian Gillette Wilkie's which I found to be one of the smoothest blades available. What I can’t agree on is the sharpness rating which has them as being sharper tha Astra SP’s My thinking is “No way!” For me Astras give up tiny fraction of smoothness but are sharper and last longer.

BTW my subjective measurement of sharpness is not how sharp a blade feels but how much stubble remains, so I suppose it’s possible to have a blade that performs well on a push cut machine but once in a razor cuts actual hair differently due to the bevel angle, coating, or razor geometry. For example although I have not tested Kia's I hear that they are a slightly wider blade, and some users have noted that this offers a small blade exposure advantage in mild razors.

I just discovered BICs 2 weeks ago and they have clawed their way to the top of my blade pile.

I find them feather sharp and so smooth it's a bit disconcerting. Most of my blades like the Nacets n feathers are either sharp/slightly rough or blunt/smooth.

The BIC is the first sharp and smooth blade that I've ever tried.

Sure a yellow 7 o'clock could be smoother but to get feather sharp and smooth is quite a different story.
BIC Chrome Platinum Razor Blade Review » refined shave

Although Feather blades are the sharpest blades out of the pack, that sharpness soon deteriorates and the blades become harsh.

Blades I have found to be both sharp and smooth are: BIC Chrome Platinum, 7 O'Clock Black, Personna Israeli Reds, German Wilkinson Swords and Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 made in Vietnam (The later blades are not the same as the ST301 blades with which they are easily confused due to the similar name). Gillette Nacets and Perma-Sharp Super are also quite sharp and are worth trying, but they may not be quite as smooth as the others.

As has been mentioned earlier, the Personna Lab Blues made in USA have a rather thick "Comfort Coating" that makes them very smooth on the first shave, but until that coating starts to wear off, the blades are not very sharp. Once the coating wears off, they are similar to the Israeli Reds, so I prefer using the Reds and skip the less sharp phase of the Lab Blues.

Feather is sharp but more raw, not necessarily a negative. Astra SP are sharp and feel smooth in my use. Astra blades last as well.

I use ASTRA SP.

Would you guys recommend bic or gillete silver blue. Or both?

In order to make the best recommendation, I would need to know the coarseness of your beard, the sensitivity of your face, and the aggressiveness of your razor.

BIC Chrome Platinum blades are nearly as sharp as Feather blades on the first shave and perhaps even sharper on the second shave. This is great if your have a coarse beard, but perhaps not so great if you do not need a blade this sharp and have sensitive skin or are using an aggressive razor. I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin and use Feather and BIC blades in mild to moderate razors; but they are too sharp to enjoy in aggressive razors. I have listed in a previous post in this thread other blades that fall into this same very-sharp category.

BIC blades are relatively inexpensive if purchased in bulk. Dorco Prime STP301 blades made in Vietnam (not to be confused with the Dorco ST301 blades) are even less expensive, although they do cost more than Astra SP.

I rate Gillette Silver Blue blades in the same mid-sharp category as 7 O'Clock Yellow and Green, Polsilver, Voskhod, and Gillette Branded Wilkinson Sword blades. They are wonderful blades to use in aggressive razors and are an excellent choice in milder razors for those whose beard is not too coarse.

I am not quite sure how to rate the Astra SP blades. My experience with them places them as less sharp than the blades just mentioned. I can use them in aggressive razors, but I do not find them to be sharp enough for my beard when used in mild to moderate razors. However, my experience with them is my experience with the blades I have used. Many people report the Astra SP blades to be both sharp and smooth. I have read reports that indicate quality control on Astra SP blades may have slipped. Thus, you may get great ones or not so great ones. If you get blades that work for you, by all means continue to use them.

In order to make the best recommendation...

Thank you. I would say my beard is course enough to not allow ATG on my neck.
My ASTRA SP is definitely always sharpest first shave, but it is noticably less sharper for the 2nd-3rd shave. By my 3rd shave, I just know that my 4th shave will be iffy. I have only ever shaved using Dollar General blades and Astra SP and they are comfortable used for less than 4 passes. If I use it for a 5th, 6th 7th shave I will only do it for under my nose.

I'll try Bic and GSB in 6 months when I run out of Astras. Seems like I have a better chance of getting a freshly manufactured blade that way.

Top Bottom