What's new

Feather AS-D2

I notice a for lot of people who own Feathers, they also own Timeless razors... what is so special with Timeless ?
Slightly off thread. The Timeless are CNC cut from a solid block of steel by a some guys in the USA. The fit and finish is flawless. They have come up with a unique design that shaves really well. The razors are a real work of art.

I would say that these features would appeal a lot to Feather owners. Also they are similar price points.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have never tried one. Way out of my price range. They get a lot of love here. Stick with it and enjoy the shaves.

...this razor has been pretty much perfect. It's mild but once you add a feather or Personna med prep blade, it is just amazing & smooth. I have to hold it at 45 degree angle all the way to almost parallel to the floor but this has worked wonders and it's the first razor that allows me to shave my neck ATG w/o any irritations. Also it's more forgiving than other razors when you push it against your skin...
The AS-D2 is a nice razor, but a vintage Gillette Tech shaves very similarly. I saved around $150 by using a Tech with a heavier stainless steel handle. The brass Tech has lasted over 70 years already, I expect it to last as long as I will need it.

What's the difference between .68 SB and .68 SC and .38 Bronze ?
Do you know what is the blade gap of AS-D2 by any chance (compare to them) ?

I've only used the .68 SB, but from what I've read comparing it to the scalloped SC, it's mostly aesthetics and no significant difference in performance. I've never used the Bronze.

I've read that the blade gap on the AS-D2 is .73mm. I don't think blade gap tells the whole story of how mild a razor is, though, so its only one parameter to consider.

The AS-D2 is a nice razor, but a vintage Gillette Tech shaves very similarly. I saved around $150 by using a Tech with a heavier stainless steel handle. The brass Tech has lasted over 70 years already, I expect it to last as long as I will need it.

Amen!
The Fat Handle Brass Tech is one sweet shaving razor.

Tough to beat the Techs!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love my techs as well. And I agree the shave is very similar. But there's something about the finely machined perfection of the feather as D2. Both have their charms. I have and enjoy both razors regularly.

I love my techs as well. And I agree the shave is very similar. But there's something about the finely machined perfection of the feather as D2. Both have their charms. I have and enjoy both razors regularly.

I think I know what you mean.
Wouldn’t it be great if there was a 2020 Gillette Tech?
Not a clone.
And maybe covered blade tabs?

I think I know what you mean.
Wouldn’t it be great if there was a 2020 Gillette Tech?
Not a clone.
And maybe covered blade tabs?

It would be great. Although I greatly enjoy the vintage aspect of shaving with an old tech that is 60+ years old. I even like the patina that my old techs have.

Chris Evatt who had done some re-plating for me swears by his Gillette Tech - pre-war, triangular slot, fat handle ... but I've never tried one.

I also agree that techniques is everything, but when you have a very sensitive skin it does help to go with a mild razor + sharp blade.

I tried a shave today with a GSB blade and it was a very nice shave, super smooth (3 pass BBS)

Sometimes, it takes a while to get the AS-D2 razor down right. When I first bought it I thought it was too mild and I had a hard time getting a BBS shave with it. My first step was to use shims but that resulted in a less smooth shave. I then tried a Feather blade and played with the angle so that more blade was exposed. That fixed all of my problems. What I found interesting was that normally I could get only two good shaves with a Feather blade. However, put that razor in an AS-D2 and I can get more than seven shaves with that blade. In conclusion, the AS-D2 with the right blade gives an incredibly good, smooth shave.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The AS-D2 was one of my first ‘luxury’ buys. Once I discovered that it required a very, very shallow angle, I was able to achieve efficient and irritation-free shaves. The Feather blades are perfect for it, of course.

So far I've had good luck with GSB, Feather and Personna Med Prep on them. Angle is anywhere from 30 degrees 80 degrees... It's really hard to get nicks and cuts with this razor but I have managed to get one or two (mostly by being careless)

Top Bottom