What's new

Feather AS-D2

Personna Reds also work very well for me in this razor. I just completed my third shave with one and it couldn't be better!

Ah you still haven't recycled your AS-D2?
Thanks for sharing that. I loaded it with Astra SS today...and what a combo. Imo Astra SS works better than Astra SP...perhaps because SS is sharper.

Last edited:
weak razor needs strong Sharp blades , get yourself a better razor

The mildness of a razor got nothing to do with what blades work well. It is all about the angle you shave at.

Some angles will tug more, other angles will slice better. Some razors (both mild and aggressive) can only be kept at an angle requiring sharper blades, while other razors are able to shave at an angle causing the blade to slice better.

I've got two shaves in with my new AS-D2 and couldn't be happier. Sure, a Merkur or EJ 89 is cheaper, requires a less precise angle, and will allow just about any blade to work well, but if you can get the angle right, it's a MUCH better shave. I like that the closeness is dictated by the number of passes. I used to grab a different razor depending on the closeness I wanted (unless I'm using an adjustable) but this is much easier because I don't ever have to compromise comfort for closeness. This is a phenomenal razor that may be the last razor I ever use. And I was just starting to enjoy the Parker Variant.

Last edited:
I've got two shaves in with my new AS-D2 and couldn't be happier. Sure, a Merkur or EJ 89 is cheaper, requires a less precise angle, and will allow just about any blade to work well, but if you can get the angle right, it's a MUCH better shave. I like that the closeness is dictated by the number of passes. I used to grab a different razor depending on the closeness I wanted (unless I'm using an adjustable) but this is much easier because I don't ever have to compromise comfort for closeness. This is a phenomenal razor that may be the last razor I ever use. And I was just starting to enjoy the Parker Variant.
It's funny that, after a few months of daily shaving with an AS-D2, I shaved with a Muhle R89 today for a change and I was very pleased with the shave.
This reminded me of the fact that, rotatation is a key part of this hobby.

I love mine - especially since I have paired it with a KAI blade. Shaving Nirvana.

This reminded me of the fact that, rotatation is a key part of this hobby.

Very true. This is why I use a different razor every once in a while to remind me how awesome the ASD2 is 8)

I get that, but life is too short for bad shaves. I will say that the more experienced I get the better my shaves get despite the razor I use.. the blade is a different story. I have narrowed it down to Feather or PS iridium blades depending on the razor.

Last edited:
I get that, but life is too short for bad shaves. I will say that the more experienced I get the better my shaves get despite the razor I use.. the blade is a different story. I have narrowed it down to Feather or PS iridium blades depending on the razor.

Further experimentations with razor and blade combos may surprise you. I too have more or less settled on the two blades you mentioned, but recently the AS-D2 + BiC combo has surprised me.

Feather blade if you want something really close with the slightest chance of nicks, or a Polsilver for almost as close but no chance of a nick. Also for me Polsilvers last several more shaves than a feather blade. With the feather I get it tugging after two shaves whereas Polsilver will usually last more than double that. It truly is a wonderful shave either way. I love mine even though I have moved to Gillette Adjustables for the time being for something different.

Keep the pressure light and do more passes/strokes, lather when needed. The ASD2 is not going to reduce any beard fast.

I apply lather twice. After the first lather, I use as many strokes it takes WTG until I don't get any more feedback or feel any more resistance. I use swift light strokes.

I apply lather a second time and no the same thing ATG and any other direction need for BBS.

I address each area of my face differently, if an area needs more strokes to BBS, I do more. If an area needs less attention, I do less. For instance, my chin takes more strokes to BBS than my cheeks and one spot on my chin takes 15+ light swift strokes ATG to BBS.

When you add pressure, you are simulating a razor with more blade exposure.

Light, swift strokes and reduce beard one stroke at a time!

The ASD1 is a clone of the postwar Tech. The ASD2 is a slightly modified ASD1.

The ASD2 head is wider than the Postwar Tech but the blade you put in the ASD2 is not wider so the added width doesn't matter.

Weight only matters with an axe or a hammer, not with razors, for me anyway.

The ASD2 has the same performance and feel as the original, the postwar Tech.

The ASD2 is the best postwar Tech clone I've seen.
I already get outstanding shaves with straights and DEs and have for a couple of years. My favorite is the 1930s Gillette NEW - I get BBS on that consistently without any nicks or cuts.

I'm willing to guess you're correct though, due to the very forgiving nature of the AS-D2 I'm probably using some pressure without realizing it.

I love mine - especially since I have paired it with a KAI blade. Shaving Nirvana.

Very true. This is why I use a different razor every once in a while to remind me how awesome the ASD2 is 8)
I like to try the Kai blades, which I dont have any.
Blades that work best in AS-D2 in my opinion: Feather, Polsilver, Perma and BiC

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
One of you kind hearted gents should loan me a Feather AS D2 for a week to see if it shaves better than a tech. LOL!

Mac
It was certainly the equal of my Techs and closer in feel to the fat handle Techs then the ball end Techs but was not better than the Techs.

The Feather Popular, Weishi 9306 and Viking Chieftain were also as nice as my fat head Super Speeds and almost as nice as the thinner head black handle metal plate Super Speed.

Top Bottom