What's new

Feather AS-D2. What am I doing wrong?

So my Feather razor is on double secret probation. I am fairly new to de shaving but I get great shaves from my 39c slant and my RR GC .84. I cannot seem to get a good shave from the Feather no matter what I do. Is there some trick to these? Can someone who uses and truly excels with this razor give me some advice? I have tried many blades and different angles, nothing is working. $160 is a lot to spend on something that I cannot use to its full potential.

ljjwwfk.jpg

th.jpg

I had one and it took some time to figure it out, but once I did it was sooo smooth. One of the AS-D2 experts will chime in and help.

I have never used an AS-D2, but from what I have read, this razor is quite mild and has a very narrow blade gap. In contrast, the 39C and GC 0.84 have significantly wider blade gaps and are more aggressive.

When a razor has a wide blade gap, there is typically a wider range of shaving angles that will work with the razor. When the blade gap is narrow, so is the range of shaving angles. Since I have not used the AS-D2, I do not know the best angle for that razor.

With more aggressive razors, you do not necessarily need an extremely sharp blade to get the job done. Since aggressive razors typically have significant skin contact, smoother, less sharp blades often work well in those razors.

In a mild razor, you might need to compensate for the razor by using a much sharper blade. That is especially important if you have a coarse or heavy beard or do not shave every day. If you have not already tried a Feather blade in the AS-D2, you might try that. Other extremely sharp blades you might try are BIC Chrome Platinum, PermaSharp Super, Gillette Nacet, and 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black.

Do not get in the habit of compensating for a mild razor by increasing your shaving pressure. Although you might get away with doing so when using the AS-D2, you will regret it when you go back to more aggressive razors.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have never used an AS-D2, but from what I have read, this razor is quite mild and has a very narrow blade gap. In contrast, the 39C and GC 0.84 have significantly wider blade gaps and are more aggressive.

When a razor has a wide blade gap, there is typically a wider range of shaving angles that will work with the razor. When the blade gap is narrow, so is the range of shaving angles. Since I have not used the AS-D2, I do not know the best angle for that razor.

With more aggressive razors, you do not necessarily need an extremely sharp blade to get the job done. Since aggressive razors typically have significant skin contact, smoother, less sharp blades often work well in those razors.

In a mild razor, you might need to compensate for the razor by using a much sharper blade. That is especially important if you have a coarse or heavy beard or do not shave every day. If you have not already tried a Feather blade in the AS-D2, you might try that. Other extremely sharp blades you might try are BIC Chrome Platinum, PermaSharp Super, Gillette Nacet, and 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black.

Do not get in the habit of compensating for a mild razor by increasing your shaving pressure. Although you might get away with doing so when using the AS-D2, you will regret it when you go back to more aggressive razors.

^What he said.^

It's a very mild (as in potentially very comfortable and smooth shaving) razor. It also has negative blade exposure. It's designed to use the Feather blades. Most very positive reviews of the AS-D2 are written by gentlemen using the Feather blade and also shaving at a very shallow angle (or perhaps the razor's design angle [or neutral angle]).

Feather AS-D2.Fatip-Grande-Mk1.JPG

I'm currently shaving with straight razors, but I own and have used an AS-D2 quite a bit. Frankly, I gave up on it, and sold it to a guy who used it for a while and sold it, and then bought the exact same razor back from the fellow he'd sold it to.

The photo is the razor as I received it when I repurchased it. The other razor is the Mk1 Grande (unavailable I think in the Grande but maybe available in the Piccolo which is the same head). Talk about two very different razors in one photo!

It's not a razor I've really figured out either. It shaves best for me with a Feather blade. No doubt about it. The Feather razor/Feather blade shaves are good in the closeness and smoothness categories. The problem for me is I really hate the Feather DE blades. They feel okay to me during the shave but bother me a lot post shave.

If I could stand the Feather blade I'd love this razor I think.

A great many gentlemen like this razor. Some like it enormously. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but I'm sure I've got a slew of safety razors easier for me to figure out + here I am straight razor shaving and not using safety razors. Maybe one day I'll figure it out which makes me interested in what you find out and discover and conclude.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You just have to maintain the exactly correct angle. It is more demanding of technique.
Shaves great, though, when you get the knack.

The AS-D2 is definitely one of my favourites. However, the Feather blades never worked for me. Always ended up with microscopical (and really annoying) cuts and razor burns (I have sensitive skin). I tried a multitude of other blades, the best pairing so far is with Astra SP. No problems since, so I bought a pack of 100 [emoji4]
The 45 degree angle helps a lot in terms of efficiency. As for the smoothness, this is razor is probably the best I’ve used.
With a bit of patience and practice I’m sure you’ll find the angle that suits you best. Don’t give up, it’s an amazing tool!

IME Feather or Kai blades are key to getting good shaves with the AS-D2. It is a very mild shaver.

The Feather blade and my face/ beard do not get along. Like Jim, it feels incredible while shaving but post shave it leaves lots of irritation and itching. Darn thing is impressive looking and feeling .

I tried everything with this razor. I put in shims and that did not work. I started using various blades and that did not help until I tried a Feather blade. What did work as using Feather blades and using an angle with maximum blade exposure.

However, resist the urge to put pressure on the razor because it is mild. As a matter of information, with most razors I can only get two good shaves with a Feather blade. However, with the AS-D2 I get over five shaves with a Feather blade.

Kick the bottom of the razor closer to your face vs toward the mirror with the grain, and away from your face slightly against the grain to get that proper blade angle.

Thanks I will try that for sure.
But like , only slightly if that makes sense . What they mean by shallow angle is the bottom WTG should be closer to your face than your other razors. I start with the razor straight down and kick it out eveeerrr so slightly . If I remember this right ,the shave is loud When it cuts if you do it correctly .
Also, have you tried super sharp blades on it like feather , kai or Gillette 7’o clock?

The AS-D2 is my favorite razor no matter what blade I use (I prefer Personna Reds or Lord Platinums). I never had a problem using it, but I know you're not alone with struggling to dial it in.

I tend to go by sound and feel more than trying to visualize the angle, but I know everyone has their own methods. I get plenty of audible feedback using it, so perhaps try to make point of listening closely. I wish I had a foolproof suggestion since it really is wonderful razor, so hopefully you'll find it's sweet spot and start getting great shaves.

Good luck.

^+1. I used my AS/D2 for today's shave. I admit I don't use it enough to really dial it in but when I do I use the audio method to find the angle. Turn off all the sounds around you, running water, TV et cetera and then with one smooth stroke slowly at your sideburn downward towards your jaw and while the razor is moving gently and slowly and smoothly adjust the razor's angle (it's closest to your ear at your sideburn) and listen. Repeat by speading new lather on the same spot until you get the feel of the angle. Don't use pressure. Use a Feather Blade if you have them.
SOTD Feather AS:D2 Cosmo 1945Fern.jpg

The Feather blade and my face/ beard do not get along. Like Jim, it feels incredible while shaving but post shave it leaves lots of irritation and itching. Darn thing is impressive looking and feeling .
Try Gillette Silver Blue, Astra SP or Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge blades; they should give you a good shave. Blade angle is important and a neutral angle is likely to work best, see Blade Angle | Badger & Blade

Super random side note , but I just ordered one again as I regret selling it the last time. I can not be more excited and am trying to clear my den.

Try with the handle at about 45 degrees, if it still doesn’t seem to be cutting go slightly more toward the cap. Once you find the angle you need to keep it, it requires precision to get the best out of it but gives a beautifully smooth shave when you get the hang of it.

Top Bottom