What's new

Feather AS-D2 vs. Popular

A bit of poor technique on Monday left me with pretty beat up skin. Needing to shave today, I pulled out a Popular that I recently ordered. Using the included Feather blade and an extremely light touch, I got more than an acceptable and smooth shave. This has me seriously considering the AS-D2. For those familiar, how does the shave compare to the Popular?

I had been eyeing the Timeless Bronze. If anyone has compared all of these, I would love to hear your opinions. I’m participating in the October GRUME, so I have a bit of time to consider my next acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Feather popular is a poorly made razors and often times doesn't hold the blade tight enough or straight.
Forget the Feathers, check out the RR Mamba 70.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

The AS-D2 is very well made razor at the far end of the mild curve. Paired with a Feather or Kai it is an excellent option if you want something at that end of the spectrum. Just my $0.02!

The Feather popular is a poorly made razors and often times doesn't hold the blade tight enough or straight.
Forget the Feathers, check out the RR Mamba 70.

I have had no problems with my Feather Popular. With the long riser fitting down the center of the blade there is very little wiggle room, and once the butterfly doors are thumb tightened causing the baseplate to rise and flex the blade, the blade doesn't move. Maybe there is an issue with the screw threads on your Popular? I must have opened and closed mine hundreds of times without any problem.

I don't have a AS-D2, and while I understand it's appeal I believe the Popular is hard to beat.

I have had no problems with my Feather Popular. With the long riser fitting down the center of the blade there is very little wiggle room, and once the butterfly doors are thumb tightened causing the baseplate to rise and flex the blade, the blade doesn't move. Maybe there is an issue with the screw threads on your Popular? I must have opened and closed mine hundreds of times without any problem.

I don't have a AS-D2, and while I understand it's appeal I believe the Popular is hard to beat.
Safety bars on mine were not straight when closed. One door was also slightly higher than the other.

I am struggling to get a great shave out of the AS-D2. It is very mild. I have shaved with it about 10-12 times. Today was the best yet, so I am still holding out hope, but I get effortlessly BBS shaves from my Rockwell 6C 5-plate. It is a gorgeous razor, though.

I have consistently read that the Timeless Bronze is pretty aggressive.

Someone else mentioned the RazoRock Mamba .70, which I believe is the other end of the “mild” spectrum. I will be playing around with that more this weekend and next week. Just got it recently but haven’t had a chance to use it much yet.

One more thing on the above post: With the AS-D2, I need to do three passes to whittle down my stubble to get a DFS shave. I can get BBS with two passes with the Rockwell 6C 5-plate. Both are acceptable outcomes, just situationally dependent.

Thanks all for the responses. Today was my first dance with the Feather. Due to my Monday foul up, I didn't try for a very close shave today. I plan to let my skin recover until Friday and I'll see if I can get a good, close shave on Friday.

I'll take a look at the Mamba as well. Thanks for that recommendation. My main razor is a Dart, which I typically use 3-4 days per week. My somewhat sensitive skin has me looking for something mild to use in between.

I like mild razors; I find the Mamba 70 to be mild and a good shaver (as well as the Game Changer 0.68). The angle for the Mamba 70 is a little trickier. A vintage Tech, or a Blue tip, would also be great mild razors.

How did your Feather experience go? I use a Popular most of the time--I'll give others a try, but I almost always re-sell them, go back to the Feather. I don't mind a mild shave. The Feather works well with every blade I've tried so far, also.

That said, I shall eventually pick up the AS-D2, if for no other reason that a) since I like the Popular so much, and b) all but a very few of the posts I read endorse the AS-D2, so c) I have to at least try the AS-D2. Even if I didn't love it, I could resell it for a decent fraction of what I paid for it, no?

The AS-D2 is a very nicely made razor. It just wasn't efficient enough for me. I had stubble in less than 8 hours and I tried numerous blades in it. It's a wonderful razor for the right person. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people. If they made a more efficient version I'd be all over it because the quality of the razor itself is undeniably fantastic. It is a better razor than the popular , which in comparison is a cheap disposable.

The AS-D2 is a very nicely made razor. It just wasn't efficient enough for me. I had stubble in less than 8 hours and I tried numerous blades in it. It's a wonderful razor for the right person. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people. If they made a more efficient version I'd be all over it because the quality of the razor itself is undeniably fantastic. If you buy a used one you can probably break even selling it if you don't like it. Not so much if you buy new and then sell it. They turn up used pretty frequently. Be patient and you will probably find one

Top Bottom