What's new

Feather AS-D2 vs Ikon 102 vs ATT S1

Took some pics and some close looks at the three top-tier razors in my collection. In this pic from left to right, the Feather AS-D2, the Above the Tie Kronos with S1 (slant) head, and the Ikon 102 (slant) head on an Ikon OSS handle.

Yeah, I know that one is a regular DE and the other two are slants, but I figured someone out there might be considering one of the three against the others and hey, I have all three so why not write up a quick comparison?

proxy.php

The three are very different in many ways. Certainly the Feather is not a slant, but it is often considered to be one of the best razors out there for people who prefer mild razors. The Feather is the only one of the three that is sintered. In a nutshell, the metal is made from powdered metal heat and/or pressure molded to shape without melting the metal into a liquid form.

The Above the Tie razor is the clear winner in build quality. This razor is machined, and it shows. There is a sense of solidity in this razor that I don't feel in the other two. It looks and feels like it was carved from a block of solid stainless steel, probably because it was.

The Ikon 102 slant is an aluminum head while the OSS handle is turned stainless steel. The heft of the OSS handle is similar (though heavier) than the ATT Kronos, but the Kronos has better attention to detail. Does that affect the shave? Not in my opinion, but the sense of quality is higher in the ATT. To my fingers, the OSS has a better grip, though.

The two slants achieve their goals in very different ways. The Ikon simply tilts the entire head while the ATT S1 torques the blade. The result (which is not clearly evident in this pic) is that the Ikon head looks bent while the ATT head looks almost normal. The ATT razor also provides a "down from left to right" slant no matter how the razor is held, while the Ikon slants differently depending on the side from which you observe it. The ATT head is symmetrical while the Ikon is not.

proxy.php

So which one do I like the best? As it turns out, I love slants, so the Feather gets third place for me among these three. Shave-wise, I get similar results between the Ikon 102 and the ATT S1, though I prefer the Ikon 102. The angle used on each is very different, and the ATT has a much more low-profile head which makes it easier to use in tight spots. I get the sense that the Ikon is more efficient, though and the angle is more natural for me.

proxy.php

For me, there's just something about the Ikon 102 that grabs me. That's pretty typical for me since they're all but unavailable these days.

If you have to have the best, you'd be hard-pressed to beat the Above the Tie razor. If you want a slant and can find an Ikon 102, I'd recommend that you give it a try. The Feather is a very nice razor, but as much as I like it, I'm not sure it's worth the price compared with a heavier handle on a vintage Gillette Tech.

Nice job on the review. I don't own the ATT or the iKon, but I do have an AS-D2 and a Tech and I tend to agree with you. Anyone who is put off by the cost of the Feather should scratch it off their list and purchase an early model Tech. However, there is something special about the Feather that can't be replicated by a Tech. I'd say get both if it fits in the budget.

Nice review. I have the AS-D2 and the ATT S2. Love them both, but use the S2 the most. I just ordered an ATT Kronos handle and inkwell stand for the AS-D2 so I expect it will see more use with the new handle, as I did like the shave better with the ATT handle.

I used to own an AS-D2. Very nice razor, very mild. I now have a 102 and it's my favorite all-time razor. Very efficient, but still easy to use and it doesn't feel aggressive. Much closer shave in two passes than the AS-D2 in three passes. Love the 102.

Great write up and photos!!!

While I don't own the iKon 102 (I have the new iKon Slant w/ Teflon coating), in terms of closeness, it's:

ATT S1 > iKon Slant > AS-D2

In terms of smoothness:

AS-D2 > ATT S1 > iKon Slant

In terms of my overall preference:

ATT S1 > AS-D2 > iKon Slant

Great review! I'm trying to decide between the ATT S2 Kronos and the iKon 102 slant. Both seem like great options, but I'm hearing varying reports on their aggressiveness- I like razors that offer a really close and comfortable shave.

Of the three I've only got the 102, but it's one of my favorite razors. It's not got the looks of my US and Brit Aristocrats or the fantastic build of my ATT R1, but it gives a great close shave, is so easy to use and looks pretty good in a modernistic way. Only my English Gillette New and Single Ring rival it at the moment, although both are significantly more aggressive.

Nice review. :thumbup:

I can vouch for the 102. Mine rides on a SS Bulldog handle. I've only had it for a few weeks, but it's become my favorite.

Nice job on the review. I don't own the ATT or the iKon, but I do have an AS-D2 and a Tech and I tend to agree with you. Anyone who is put off by the cost of the Feather should scratch it off their list and purchase an early model Tech. However, there is something special about the Feather that can't be replicated by a Tech. I'd say get both if it fits in the budget.

I agree that the AS-D2 and the early Tech are similar. I wish I'd realized just how similar before I bought the Tech, since I already had the Feather and don't quite care for either.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have had all three.

The AS-D2 was extremely mild. I had to blade buff so much that it caused irritation. I ultimately sold it.
The ATT S2 was too aggressive for me. It hurt, and caused irritation, despite the fact that it didn't shave particularly close.
The 102 is great. Comfortable, close, shaves, little to no razor burn, and it is just a joy to use. My 2nd favorite razor.

If you appreciate the quality of the ATT, check out a Wolfman. It's like ATT with an extra QA pass. No machining marks, no sharp edges, perfectly finished in satin or polished.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
If you appreciate the quality of the ATT, check out a Wolfman. It's like ATT with an extra QA pass. No machining marks, no sharp edges, perfectly finished in satin or polished.

Tried a Wolfman... several actually. Liked them but they couldn't shave me close enough to make it worthwhile keeping them.

The thing with James (Wolfman) is that he will work with you to get you PRECISELY what you want in terms of handle, blade exposure, etc., etc. Thus, it is a bit difficult to generalize about his products as they are so individual IMHO!

I have an ATT S1 and it's my only razor at the moment. I did recently trade for a Merkur 37C which is also a slant but I got it to take with me when I travel (if something happens to it, I can move on without any issues. If I lost my ATT S1, it would not be a good situation.) I have used several razors and the first time I shaved with the ATT S1 it stopped me in my tracks. I saw no need to use anything else. That was a year ago and I haven't wanted anything since.

I have the 102 and asd2 and use them both, Both different shavers absolutely. The 102 is a very mild for a slant. It's very efficient and does a great job, what I like about this razor is I get a great shave without any irratation. It also moves down a three day beard without a problem. The feather is quite different, it's also very efficient but for me it not the shaver I go to if I have a three day growth. If I need to shave two or three days in a row it's great, with a sharp feather blade. It really shines on the third pass, very close shave with no irritation

Gentlemen, I currently have the ATT S1 and have ordered both the Feather AS-D2 and the iKon Shavecraft 102, which both have shipped, and I should be receiving them both within a week. I also own the OneBlade and it is currently my favorite razor (along with the ATT S1) at this time. I also started a Brotherhood/Club on this forum call GLOBE (Gentlemen's League of OneBlade Enthusiasts). I will be reviewing the three razors mentioned on this thread as well as the OneBlade, and will be comparing them for efficiency and aggressiveness/comfort, ie: a BBS shave without weepers/nicks/irritation! FYI, I have relatively sensitive skin and a medium/light beard. Also I have a moustache, so I do not shave above my lip/under my nose. I will post my review on the GLOBE club and brotherhood thread and on this thread. Stay tuned!:thumbup1:

Good Afternoon gentlemen! Well I finished my first shave with my new iKon Shavecraft 102 slant. Did the whole pre this time and loaded a new Personna Blue blade. First let me tell you a little about the 102, which you may/may not know. The 102 is a "humpback slant". The humpback design on the 102, has a cap that has a "right" and a "wrong" orientation, similar to the Merkur Progress/Mergress. Like the Merkur Progress/Mergress, one end of the cap and one end of the base plate, is marked with a "line", and the two lines must match up to be in the correct orientation (not really a problem because you would immediately know if you were not in the correct orientation when shaving). Also the 102 does not torque the blade. The effect of the "no torque" blade is that one side slants in one direction and the other side slants in the opposite direction! Really cool!:001_cool: Okay now my shave, I did my normal 2 passes using all strokes (WTG/XTG/ATG). I believe that I got the closest BBS shave ever, however, I did receive several small weepers, mostly in the neck area and one at the lower corner of my moustache. The razor felt very smooth on my face and really did not feel the nicks/weepers until I saw the blood. I really like the machined aluminum head on the 102 and it was easy to find the proper angle. I will try my ATT S1 next to see if I can compare to the 102. So to sum up, a very nice close BBS shave, however, a little more aggressive than the OneBlade. Also, even though I got a few minor weepers, no irritation! IMO, a great razor that I will keep in my rotation for now, and hopefully I can master the "pressure" and achieve "weeper free" shaves! It definitely shaves closer than the OneBlade!:thumbup:

Top Bottom