What's new

FEATHER AS D2 - Shaving Excellence!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Having been a SR enthusiast for many years, I have always struggled with shaving my head with it. I have had more than a few goes with it, but the shaves have always been risky business, so 99.9% of the time I have reluctantly pulled the 3-blade Gillette out of the medicine cabinet to get the job done. This has worked with low-lather watery soaps just fine up until this point. Recently however, I have upped my SR game with a better brush that lather shaving soaps properly, and have bought some higher end shaving soaps which, when used along with the disposable razor, clog the disposable up within the first inch or so of the shaving stroke. So, what's a man to do? Enter DE head shaving. I actually did quite a bit of study before deciding to go with a Feather AS D2...mild razor, close shave, works properly with the better shaving soaps, excellent craftsmanship, stainless steel. The only box the razor didn't really check for me was that of price. Even on sale at the zon, it was still $175 + tax. In comparison to the Merkur razors, this was a tough pill to swallow, but I decided to treat myself to an early Christmas present.

Mind y'all, this was the first DE shave of my life, so I decided to start with my face. It was a true pleasure to shave with, and the razor performed beautifully. The result was a close two-pass shave without nicking, chipping, or creating a red slurry. So, I moved onto my noggin with the same thick lather (Wholly Kaw King of Oud) that I used to shave my face with. Again, no nicks, chips, or red slurry. To say that I am satisfied with this razor would be an understatement. I am now a convert for head shaving with a DE. I am still spoiled with the closeness of SR on my face, but DE is now my new go-to method for head shaving.
:c9:

View attachment 1379011

I agree with everything you just said, and might I add, I also found the 175 a bitter pill to swallow, after making my purchase at the Mens Room Barbershop, I had aftersales shock hit my stomach. Its a sick feeling. But the feeling don't last long, cause you know you just bought one of the best safety razors you can buy, built like a tank, last your life!

I just ordered this razor! So you might ask, what sold me on it? Well, mainly the features really. I like that its rated to be a mild razor, not overly aggressive. I like that the razor has weight, so the weight should help carry the blade through the cut, so I shouldn't need to apply any pressure at all. And then finally, Japanese made quality through and through.

I began my quick journey, looking at the Murkers 34C, as they were recommended to me on here, because I provided a low budget to the forum. I then also looked at the Edwin Jagger DE89, I also looked at those obvious Chinese Mule ones that look gorgeous, and thats really all they are. But each one of those razors had a common theme.

The Mule's fall apart right away. From what I can tell, they are overcharging for garbage that looks beautiful, but don't last past a year. The Edwin Jagger DE89's are known to have the threaded screw head rust out and fall apart after a couple years I guess of use. And the Murkers, well, their chrome plating is known to chip off. I am like what the heck!

This facilitated my decision to raise my budget considerably. And that is how I chose the Feather AS-D2. I am going to continue reading this thread, but I wanted to post you a congratulations on your new razor! I will be posting pictures in my thread once my stuff comes in as well, I love taking pictures! 😁

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
You are correct! Feather sure does know how to make a beautiful box.

Feather AS-D2 box, closed and open...

proxy.php
proxy.php

However, it wouldn't be fair if I didn't mention, that Rex makes nice boxes too.

Rex Ambassador box, closed and open...

proxy.php
proxy.php

I think that if I posted the question to you all, which brand do you think makes a better box, most of you would say Feather, and thats fair. But I was happy with the introduction of my Rex as well.

But what say you all? Which brand do you feel provides the best presentation/introduction, of your new razor purchase?

I like it when a razor company goes the extra mile and makes the out of box experience special. I remember when I received my Rockwell 6S years ago, I was impressed with how the razor was packaged. That said, I like the color choice and size of the the Feather box. I am sure they standardized on one size so there was room to add the stand if you bought one of the two models with the stand.

Is Feather AS-D2 more efficient, same or less efficient then Muehle R89. I’m looking for SS version of R89 and this Feather looks close to it.

Is Feather AS-D2 more efficient, same or less efficient then Muehle R89. I’m looking for SS version of R89 and this Feather looks close to it.
I found that the Feather AS-D2 is more efficient than my Muhle R89. If you want to try it, I suggest you buy it used so it is less of a risk. This site has the best price for new AS-D2 razors if you want to buy new.

What is it that you're looking to accomplish when you ask of razor efficiency?

My daily is a Mühle R89 and when I started using this razor I was convinced there was no way that I would achieve exceptional results with this setup. After building my proficiency with that razor, I can honestly state that I hit the DFS+/BBS zone on practically every shave without much thought into it.

While I hit the same marks with the ASD2, it's notable to say that it takes more effort for me to ensure that I am using an effective angle of attack. They are extremely similar with regards to mildness and I enjoy using the Feather when it rotates in, as it did today.

Feather ASD2 - .74mm Blade Gap
Mühle R89 - .76mm Blade Gap

img_7987-jpg.1503340

I found that the Feather AS-D2 is more efficient than my Muhle R89. If you want to try it, I suggest you buy it used so it is less of a risk. This site has the best price for new AS-D2 razors if you want to buy new.
As someone who sold my AS-D2 as recently as last week to a member of this site, I totally agree!

I've been shaving over 50 years. I bought an AS-D2 maybe 5-6 years ago and it's my favorite razor. I think I paid about $120 for it which seemed nuts at the time but there it is. It's essentially a ball end Tech in a larger, nicer package. The Ball End Tech is really just as a good a razor but less substantial (which is neither a pro or con). I have a Jagger DE89 and don't like it at all. Go figure...

What is it that you're looking to accomplish when you ask of razor efficiency?

I use R89 from time to time to get my skin regenerate from R41 and Nodachi. Because my skin can handle them only couple of days in a row. I can achieve DFS/ BBS with R89 with multiple passes so it’s efficiency is ok for me. But it is made off zamak and I told myself in the future I don’t want to buy any more zamak razors. So basically I’m looking for non-zamak experience as close as possible to R89. My go to razor whey I need to relax my skin. Less efficient then R89 is not good I have already several passes with R89 to get desired closeness but if it would be much more efficient then R89 I don’t need the either as I already have my efficient razors. I’m trying to hit that sweet spot. Shame that Muehle don’t sell SS R89.

I use R89 from time to time to get my skin regenerate from R41 and Nodachi. Because my skin can handle them only couple of days in a row. I can achieve DFS/ BBS with R89 with multiple passes so it’s efficiency is ok for me. But it is made off zamak and I told myself in the future I don’t want to buy any more zamak razors. So basically I’m looking for non-zamak experience as close as possible to R89. My go to razor whey I need to relax my skin. Less efficient then R89 is not good I have already several passes with R89 to get desired closeness but if it would be much more efficient then R89 I don’t need the either as I already have my efficient razors. I’m trying to hit that sweet spot. Shame that Muehle don’t sell SS R89.
A Stainless R/EJ89 is a bit of a unicorn I’m afraid (unobtainium?). Of course you could alternate with the ASD2 and bump the R41 to the GS if you don’t already.

Personally speaking, ASD2 loaded with anything other than a Feather or Kai is going to be lesser on the efficiency scale.

A Stainless R/EJ89 is a bit of a unicorn I’m afraid (unobtainium?). Of course you could alternate with the ASD2 and bump the R41 to the GS if you don’t already.

Personally speaking, ASD2 loaded with anything other than a Feather or Kai is going to be lesser on the efficiency scale.
Thank you that’s info I was looking for, I will try to find some other ss alternative for R89.

Thank you that’s info I was looking for, I will try to find some other ss alternative for R89.
Perhaps a Gamechanger .68 ?
The .84 plate is going to land you somewhere in between the R89 and R41 in terms of aggressiveness.

I am a fan of the .84 and while I find it a touch more spirited, I also find it very smooth and comfortable.

I bought my ASD2 a year ago after testing if DE shaving was worthwhile at all with Vander Hagen.
The best decision ever. No irritation or ingrown hairs at all. Pretry easy to learn and so grippy.
The price made me hesitate, but I after the year my only regret was not getting the stand. So this year I got the stand.
I saw a good deal on a Tatara which is reviewed as similar and should get that soon. So now spending that much on a razor seems like not a waste. Cause these things collect better than funky pops. Also amazing.
The ASD2 is the best intro into modern DE razors and a safe investment.

Attachments

• 20220801_193546.jpg
    20220801_193546.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I bought my ASD2 a year ago after testing if DE shaving was worthwhile at all with Vander Hagen.
The best decision ever. No irritation or ingrown hairs at all. Pretry easy to learn and so grippy.
The price made me hesitate, but I after the year my only regret was not getting the stand. So this year I got the stand.
I saw a good deal on a Tatara which is reviewed as similar and should get that soon. So now spending that much on a razor seems like not a waste. Cause these things collect better than funky pops. Also amazing.
The ASD2 is the best intro into modern DE razors and a safe investment.
I've already responded earlier in this thread but for me, other than the pick-up recently of a '63 Gillette Slim, I haven't bought another razor since the AS-D2. I think it probably shaves a little better than my vintage Gillettes but I like shaving with the old school stuff. However, I still use the AS-D2 at least once a week (daily shaver here). I wish I'd bought the model with the stand too but can't see trying to buy one aftermarket.

I've already responded earlier in this thread but for me, other than the pick-up recently of a '63 Gillette Slim, I haven't bought another razor since the AS-D2. I think it probably shaves a little better than my vintage Gillettes but I like shaving with the old school stuff. However, I still use the AS-D2 at least once a week (daily shaver here). I wish I'd bought the model with the stand too but can't see trying to buy one aftermarket.
You can buy the stand $70 shipped by calling Them.

Top Bottom