What's new

FEATHER AS D2 - Shaving Excellence!

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Now I’m inspired to give my ASD2 another chance. I’ve tried a number of blades including Feather. I can’t get a close shave with that razor. It is a very smooth and comfortable shave, but my face feels like fine sandpaper when I’m done. I’ll try experimenting with the angle again to see if I can get better results. I can definitely see where this would be a good razor for head shaves.

Now I’m inspired to give my ASD2 another chance. I’ve tried a number of blades including Feather. I can’t get a close shave with that razor. It is a very smooth and comfortable shave, but my face feels like fine sandpaper when I’m done. I’ll try experimenting with the angle again to see if I can get better results. I can definitely see where this would be a good razor for head shaves.
Try a shallower angle with a little bit of pressure. In other words, try riding the cap so far that the blade isn't even touching the face and then push hard enough as you move the razor to bring the blade in contact with the whiskers. You might be surprised at the result.

Angle is key with this razor.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Try a shallower angle with a little bit of pressure. In other words, try riding the cap so far that the blade isn't even touching the face and then push hard enough as you move the razor to bring the blade in contact with the whiskers. You might be surprised at the result.
I shaved with it today. I experimented with the angle and applied more pressure. I got a closer shave than normal for this razor and also a nick on my jaw which never happens. Maybe it was caused by the extra pressure. From posts I’ve read I’m sure it’s a great razor for many people. I’ll go back to using what works for me and pass the ASD2 to my son.

Comments above about a shallow angle and use of Feather blade are what worked for me. I tried shimming the razor and was almost ready to sell it when I changed the blade and the angle. It made all the difference for me. I used that Feather-Feather combo today for the 9th perfect shave with the same blade. Normally, I get only two or three uses of a Feather blade before it dulls. However, in the AS-D2 I get many more shaves.

Just taken in...

5A72F1C0-579B-4AD4-B96A-5A4884977F76.jpeg

Making much shorter strokes also upped my results, my theory being that I'm able to hold the magic angle more consistently with shorter strokes.

Decided to break rank and do a Progress shave, and the ASD2 results were better. Never thought I'd see that happen. If it ends up beating the 34HD I'll really be blown away.

I happily use the AS-D2 combined with a Merkur blade (12 shaves) because Feather blades are just too sharp for my shaving style (buffing).
I recently purchased a tech gold ball razor. I find the AS-D2 is superior to the Tech even if the 2 razors are similar.
The weight and grip of the AS-D2 provides a better balance allowing you to shave without having to press down.
Personally I prefer the Feather, it's worth the price difference.
Also I hate razors that have the ends of the blades visible because I forget them and it happens to me to cut myself at the level of the nose.
The tech is a great razor for the price but the AS-D2 is in a class of its own.

Brilliant shave. Used my AS D2 for today's shave and it's definitely a keeper. First pass was smooth while the second of 2 was equally enjoyable. 2 tiny weepers on the against pass; usual spots for me which a spot of Thayer's took care of.

The weighting feels great, though my I do wish the handle was a wee thicker. No need for me to experiment with other blades.
At this point in time anyway :redface-new:

Brilliant shave. Used my AS D2 for today's shave and it's definitely a keeper. First pass was smooth while the second of 2 was equally enjoyable. 2 tiny weepers on the against pass; usual spots for me which a spot of Thayer's took care of.

The weighting feels great, though my I do wish the handle was a wee thicker. No need for me to experiment with other blades.
At this point in time anyway :redface-new:
I agree that the weighting is perfectly balanced with the AS D2

In order to properly evaluate each blade I will be following the same shaving pattern for my daily head and partial face shaves:
In this order: WTG, XTG, ATG

Warm Shower with Dove Sensitive Skin soap.
Shaving Soap: Southern Witchcrafts.
Primary concern I have with any blade is the amount of tugging so my ratings will be based on perceived tugging.
Subjective ratings on a scale of 1 (most tugging) to 5 (no tugging)

In order to properly evaluate each blade I will be following the same shaving pattern for my daily head and partial face shaves:
In this order: WTG, XTG, ATG

Warm Shower with Dove Sensitive Skin soap.
Shaving Soap: Southern Witchcrafts.
Primary concern I have with any blade is the amount of tugging so my ratings will be based on perceived tugging.
Subjective ratings on a scale of 1 (most tugging) to 5 (no tugging)
03/15/2022
Gillette Nacet (1)
WTG 5
XTG 5
ATG 5
No tugging at all! Fantastic shave! Can't go wrong with this blade!

IMG_9155.jpg

Top Bottom