What's new

FEATHER AS D2 - Shaving Excellence!

Having been a SR enthusiast for many years, I have always struggled with shaving my head with it. I have had more than a few goes with it, but the shaves have always been risky business, so 99.9% of the time I have reluctantly pulled the 3-blade Gillette out of the medicine cabinet to get the job done. This has worked with low-lather watery soaps just fine up until this point. Recently however, I have upped my SR game with a better brush that lather shaving soaps properly, and have bought some higher end shaving soaps which, when used along with the disposable razor, clog the disposable up within the first inch or so of the shaving stroke. So, what's a man to do? Enter DE head shaving. I actually did quite a bit of study before deciding to go with a Feather AS D2...mild razor, close shave, works properly with the better shaving soaps, excellent craftsmanship, stainless steel. The only box the razor didn't really check for me was that of price. Even on sale at the zon, it was still $175 + tax. In comparison to the Merkur razors, this was a tough pill to swallow, but I decided to treat myself to an early Christmas present.

Mind y'all, this was the first DE shave of my life, so I decided to start with my face. It was a true pleasure to shave with, and the razor performed beautifully. The result was a close two-pass shave without nicking, chipping, or creating a red slurry. So, I moved onto my noggin with the same thick lather (Wholly Kaw King of Oud) that I used to shave my face with. Again, no nicks, chips, or red slurry. To say that I am satisfied with this razor would be an understatement. I am now a convert for head shaving with a DE. I am still spoiled with the closeness of SR on my face, but DE is now my new go-to method for head shaving.
:c9:

feather.jpg

I agree: they make for a great combo. For me, it took a few shaves for me to learn that the Feather blade works the best. Plus, I had to change the angle a bit.
Yeah the angle is different. However you can still shave prerty fine with the improper angle, it's just you are truly missing the luxury of it all.

Great size, weight, fit and finish, very classy look without "bling."

But ......

Getting the correct shave angle is tricky. If I hear and feel cutting I get a pretty good shave. The magic comes when I angle more towards the cap and then boom -- it becomes an effortlessly gliding beard erasing machine. It is a small sweet spot and since there is essentially no feedback when I hit it, it's easy to get too far on to the cap and stop cutting altogether. It's an especially difficult angle to hold when working around the chin.

Top Bottom