What's new

Feather AS-D2 Shave - How Does It Compare to a Gillette NEW OC or an R41?

Title says it all. I'm debating on what all-stainless steel razor to purchase next. My go-to razors are the R41 when I haven't shaved in a few days or my Gillette NEW OC for day to day. Is the AS-D2 going to have the aggressiveness I need or should I look at ATT OC heads instead? It doesn't need to be AS aggressive as an R41 (I'm sure it isn't!) but I have a thick beard and a mild razor just won't cut it.

Thanks!

If your standard is the R41 or a Gillette open comb, I doubt the AS-D2 will satisfy you. Takes me 2 shims and a 7 o'clock black or yellow just to get an acceptable 3.5 pass shave. Then I get frustrated and go back to the R41 for a few days. Check out the wiki on razor aggressiveness. It is one of the most mild razors made

Mentioning the R41 and the Feather AS-D-2 in the same sentence is unusual. They are about as "night and day" as one can imagine.

The Feather is somewhat mild to most shavers. The R41 is . . . is, well think of a Merkur Futur or a Gillette Fat Boy wide open!

To avoid speculation, why not just get an adjustable razor, or two, and you'll never have to worry about a razor being too aggressive or too mild. I've never met and adjustable razor that I didn't love! The beard on my 78 year old body is medium coarse.

Possibilities: Apollo Mikron. Gillette Fat Boy. Gillette Slim. Gillette Super Speed Adjustable. Merkur Vision 2000 (discontinued but still on Amazon). Merkur Futur. Merkur Progress.

Thanks guys, didn't know about the razor aggressiveness wiki. Will definitely check that out. As for adjustable, I had a Black Beauty that on 9 didn't cut it for me along with an old Schick adjustable which also didn't come close. I'm open to maybe a Futur, will look more into that.

Thanks again, on to the wiki (here it is for others who stumble across this thread: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness)

I have a few NEWs and an AS-D2. I think the NEW is more efficient, and I prefer it to the AS-D2, but I actually appreciate both razors for their ability to provide a close, comfortable shave without any irritation. So if you're like me and appreciate these qualities I think you'd enjoy an AS-D2 as a daily shaver.

Last edited:
The AS-D2 is a very mild razor, but it is so very smooth. It is by far one of the most comfortable shavers that I have. I can easily get a DFS+ shave without irritation, but BBS with my hair growth is not happening with this razor. Of course, others are able to achieve BBS without problem, I think it depends on their particular facial hair.

The other razor I use is the Gillette New #77, which is also a very nice razor. Gives me a closer shave, but not as comfortable. I switch back and forth between mainly those two razors.

Gillette #77 w/ Astra SP
Feather AS-D2 w/ Feather

The AS-D2 is a very mild razor, but it is so very smooth. It is by far one of the most comfortable shavers that I have. I can easily get a DFS+ shave without irritation, but BBS with my hair growth is not happening with this razor. Of course, others are able to achieve BBS without problem, I think it depends on their particular facial hair.

I can get to BBS with the ASD2, and it's phenomenally smooth, but a shave from my ATT H1 will last me a bit longer. It doesn't sound like a good match for you, based on what you're looking for.

Top Bottom