What's new

Feather AS-D2 long term survey

AS-D2 is a superb razor, but only if you get the angle spot on, and I do mean spot on.

Being a very mild razor the blade exposure is minimal and if you miss the right angle the shave is mediocre at best. Handle at 45° (± 2°) is where it performs beautifully. It takes a bit of getting used to as it's a shallower blade angle than that used with most other razors.

You will occasionally hear people bemoaning it's mildness and alleged inefficiency, but I always wonder if they're just not using the right technique.

I tried one on a pass-around many moons ago. Beautiful razor. Wonderful shave. I found the angle to be intuitive with this razor.

For me at least, I came to believe it should be paired with a Feather blade for best results. Stands to reason I guess, Feather made a "mild" razor that works beautifully with a very sharp blade.

I have been using an AS-D2 with a Feather blade for a few years & it is a member of my permanent five razor rotation. I also have a sixth spot in my rotation for a “guest razor”, which I change every few weeks.

There are a couple of things about the AS-D2 that I don’t think have been mentioned so far. Firstly, the shave it provides is always the same. With some razors, without changing anything, I can get a great shave one day & a puzzlingly bad shave the next. The AS-D2 always provides the same great shave.

Secondly, unlike some razors, I can use the AS-D2 for as many days in a row as I wish & there are no cumulative issues. Some razors can be fine for four, or five days in a row, but my face then starts suffering. For someone like me, who shaves every day, this is very important. I see a lot of razor reviews where someone praises an aggressive razor, then goes on to say that they only shave a couple of times a week! If I have an event in the evening, I can even shave with my AS-D2 for a second time in a day with no ill effects.

A shallow shaving angle, like the one that I use with the AS-D2, works best for me & three of the other four razors in my permanent rotation also work really well with a shallow angle. With more aggressive razors, such as the Shavecraft 104, I have to use a steeper angle, which leads to a “tuggy” shave that is not as close as I can get with a shallow angle razor like the AS-D2.

Finally, I see a lot of people say that the AS-D2 is just an expensive Tech. In my experience the AS-D2 is both smoother in use & closer shaving than any Tech I have used. I am lucky enough to own the first & what many people say is the ultimate Tech, the “Hybrid”. This almost equals the AS-D2 in terms of smoothness, but doesn’t shave as close, even with a Feather blade. Also, the Hybrid is not really a cheaper option to the AS-D2, unless someone sells one on Ebay as a “Fat Handled Tech”, which is how I acquired mine😊

Thank you Robert G, your review join what i think about daily shavers with AS-D2or other smooth razor and those who shaves only 2 or 3 times a week with aggressive razor. The goal for me is to shave every day with the same result.For now with 6C plate#2 and shark sc i can shave my face every day but i don't like 6C. I need a jewel to shave with.

Thank you Robert G, your review join what i think about daily shavers with AS-D2or other smooth razor and those who shaves only 2 or 3 times a week with aggressive razor. The goal for me is to shave every day with the same result.For now with 6C plate#2 and shark sc i can shave my face every day but i don't like 6C. I need a jewel to shave with.

Sceptic Pencil was the one who gave very good info which I liked :thumbup:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I also own an AS-D2. It’s really work of art. The machining and design are a thing of beauty. It is quite mild, but it shaves very nicely. It’s no where near my favorite razor, but I really enjoy using it from time to time. Enjoy your new razor.

Just receive my AS-D2, first impression: this razor is amazing to hold in hand.
First shave is simply wow. MWF with Feather blade loaded in AS-D2
Easy to use very intuitive, its the 5th razor i own and no one equal this shaving machine.
Give me superb BBS. I imagine how nice shave will be when i will control this F1.
I am now proud owner of Feather AS-D2.

Just receive my AS-D2, first impression: this razor is amazing to hold in hand.
First shave is simply wow. MWF with Feather blade loaded in AS-D2
Easy to use very intuitive, its the 5th razor i own and no one equal this shaving machine.
Give me superb BBS. I imagine how nice shave will be when i will control this F1.
I am now proud owner of Feather AS-D2.
Congratulations! I wish for you many years of great shaves!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have used a Feather AS-D2 razor for several years. IT is the one razor I judge all others against. I also haven't found a blade that doesn't work very well in my AS-D2 razor. Top quality and very svelte as compared to many of the "new Bib Boys" and I have shaved with quite a few of them. Most "others" have ended up passed on in that Auction site. I do not find the Feather razor to be seriously mild. in use the shave depends on the sharpness of the blade for me. My favorite blades are mid level sharpness. A good shave, no rash, no cuts, no reapers and smooth. I shave every day.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Compare Feather AS-D2 with Mercury 34c. Thank you
You can shave equally close with both, the Feather is smoother and better built and more expensive. The RazoRock Gamechanger .68 will get you 85-90% of the feather experience for a lot less money.

The AS-D2 with a feather blade and less then 2 days growth is sublime. Not just comfortable but pleasurable. I have a course beard that grows quickly. So I do use a more aggressive razor for longer gaps between shaves. (Ikon slant or a feather shavette) And for variety i use some classic gems SEs. But I always wish I was using the feather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Finally got around to buying a Feather myself, this one from a fellow B&B member who found it a bit too mild. (Thanks, Frank!) The razor is pristine; the design, heft and workmanship outstanding; the shaves, damn near perfect. At least to this whisker whacker.

Mildness is not an issue for me, nor is angle. I just hold the Feather the way I'd hold any other razor, and, without overthinking things to the point of using a protractor, everything sort of falls into place automatically. I get close, clean daily shaves without zings, stings or any aural feedback from my alum block.

I used to shave daily with an R41 without drama or mishaps, but I did have to concentrate. That's why I think I began gravitating to ever milder razors: first an Oristo, then a Mamba 70, and now, a Feather. Each allows me to relax and enjoy my shaves more.

As for blades, I'm using my go-to reference blade, an Astra green. Four shaves in, and everything is still in DFS/BBS territory.

Thing I've found about mild razors is that they seem not to be picky about blades, so over the next month or so, I'll be feeding my Feather a diet of blades on-hand, including Nacets, Derby USTAs, Derby Premiums, Silver Stars, and Dorco Premiers. All perform well in my other razors; I see no reason why they shouldn't do equally well in my Feather.

(And, yes, I'll probably try some Feather blades, too.)

A word about technique. I tend to press, which is generally regarded as a no-no. But pressure works for me with milder razors. Plus, I can skin stretch, J-hook, do the "Gillette slide" and blade buff--all the razor rodeo tricks in the book--knowing I'll not get nicks, cuts, weepers or razor rash. Who could ask for more?

Good luck with your Feather, Syljal. You made a fine choice that will last you a lifetime. Keep us posted.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Finally got around to buying a Feather myself, this one from a fellow B&B member who found it a bit too mild. (Thanks, Frank!) The razor is pristine; the design, heft and workmanship outstanding; the shaves, damn near perfect. At least to this whisker whacker.

Mildness is not an issue for me, nor is angle. I just hold the Feather the way I'd hold any other razor, and, without overthinking things to the point of using a protractor, everything sort of falls into place automatically. I get close, clean daily shaves without zings, stings or any aural feedback from my alum block.

I used to shave daily with an R41 without drama or mishaps, but I did have to concentrate. That's why I think I began gravitating to ever milder razors: first an Oristo, then a Mamba 70, and now, a Feather. Each allows me to relax and enjoy my shaves more.

As for blades, I'm using my go-to reference blade, an Astra green. Four shaves in, and everything is still in DFS/BBS territory.

Thing I've found about mild razors is that they seem not to be picky about blades, so over the next month or so, I'll be feeding my Feather a diet of blades on-hand, including Nacets, Derby USTAs, Derby Premiums, Silver Stars, and Dorco Premiers. All perform well in my other razors; I see no reason why they shouldn't do equally well in my Feather.

(And, yes, I'll probably try some Feather blades, too.)

A word about technique. I tend to press, which is generally regarded as a no-no. But pressure works for me with milder razors. Plus, I can skin stretch, J-hook, do the "Gillette slide" and blade buff--all the razor rodeo tricks in the book--knowing I'll not get nicks, cuts, weepers or razor rash. Who could ask for more?

Good luck with your Feather, Syljal. You made a fine choice that will last you a lifetime. Keep us posted.
Stellar review.

Finally after 1 1/2 months, I can shave every day with the AS-D2 in 2 shaving passes for BBS each time. I don't know why when i started every shave I had cuts and redness. I did not know what to think of this razor that I found it a lot more aggressive than the 6C with plate 2.

I had tried several kinds of blades and could not achieve anything, I even thought to resell it but I had read a post by I do not know which member of BB that it had taken him a year to master the Feather.

First I made a map of the growth of my beard and shaved in one pass daily following the growth of my beard and from that moment I started to have no more redness and after that I started 2-pass shaves.

Now I know that the Feather will be the last razor I will ever own. I consider it a scalpel. Being a butcher and a cook I am faithful to my cutting instruments and with the Feather, I found Le Rasoir.

Today BBS is sublime with Palmolive soap, razor and Feather blade, what more can you ask for except: When is the next shave.

Notice to interested parties in Canada: I have a Rockwell 6C and a Merkur Progress for sale.

Top Bottom