What's new

Feather AS-D2 just needed to make one more pass for excellence.

I have had my AS-D2 for three years now, and to be honest, I have come to love my more aggressive Above the Tie razors the best. Was very close to selling the Feather, but decided to try a 4-pass shave instead of my normal 3-pass.

Well I am pleasantly surprised at the shave improvement for closeness. The razor is definitely more challenging than my ATT's and Tech, but this shave is outstanding, and only took 2-3 more minutes to get. The required shaving angle isn't my favorite but it is challenging in a good way, I think.

Juat wanted to share, and say I will be keeping it in the collection, with a new love for it.

I shave close faster with the Feather than with more aggressive razors. I can make a full pass with the Feather in about 60 seconds, so 4 passes takes 4 minutes plus a minute for the initial face washing and some re-lather time between passes - about 6-7 minutes total.

I used an iKon standard CC today, which is much more aggressive, and it took me over 9 minutes to get 3 passes in. It takes me much long to shave the chin, upper lip and around the corners of my mouth with the aggressive razor.

The ATT razor didn't work for me. I tried the S2, M2 & M1. Looking back on it, I suspect I actually needed to go more aggressive with the ATT design. Maybe the H1, and try for a 2 pass shave. That usually works for me using an R41.

I agree that the right angle for the Feather is much different. I really like the Feather, but am trying to expand my skills by working on more aggressive razors on days I don't go to work. On work days, fast and nick-free is too important to me to play with other razors.

I love my Feather AS-D2. I agree that a four pass shave is awesome. Almost always DFS to BBS. I shave only Wed Fri and Sunday. (My job is industrial so shaving every day is not required). I do four passes Wednesday and Sunday for church and a two pass on Friday. Nice and irritation free.

I like my feather as well. I just wish they made it with a bulldog style handle. The handle it comes with is too skinny for me. I'm going to try it with my weber bulldog handle Monday morning.

I shave close faster with the Feather than with more aggressive razors. I can make a full pass with the Feather in about 60 seconds, so 4 passes takes 4 minutes plus a minute for the initial face washing and some re-lather time between passes - about 6-7 minutes total.

I used an iKon standard CC today, which is much more aggressive, and it took me over 9 minutes to get 3 passes in. It takes me much long to shave the chin, upper lip and around the corners of my mouth with the aggressive razor.

The ATT razor didn't work for me. I tried the S2, M2 & M1. Looking back on it, I suspect I actually needed to go more aggressive with the ATT design. Maybe the H1, and try for a 2 pass shave. That usually works for me using an R41.

I agree that the right angle for the Feather is much different. I really like the Feather, but am trying to expand my skills by working on more aggressive razors on days I don't go to work. On work days, fast and nick-free is too important to me to play with other razors.

What was it that you didn't like about the ATT? I've been thinking about getting one. I've read a lot of good opinions, but not a lot of bad. How would you compare the M1 and M2 heads to the Feather?

What was it that you didn't like about the ATT? I've been thinking about getting one. I've read a lot of good opinions, but not a lot of bad. How would you compare the M1 and M2 heads to the Feather?

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

The Feather ranks at 1.5 on aggressiveness. Techs rate a 2-2.5. A Weber Polished Head rates a 4.0.

The ATT M2 is ranked at 5.0, close to the 5.5 of a Merkur slant.

Me? I'd rate the M2 as more aggressive than the Merkur slant I used to own. Maybe a 6, with my Muhle R41 (2013) at a 7. I had no trouble with Merkur slant, but found the S2 & M2 difficult to get a close and comfortable shave. The M1 is ranked at 4.0, which feels right to me (similar to the Weber PH)...except it took a lot more passes to get a close shave.

I finally got a good, close shave with the M2 as an evening 'update' shave today (around 6 PM). However, I had to be extremely light with it, and make tiny strokes when near my lips or chin. I didn't run the stopwatch tonight, but I'd guess my total time was around 10 minutes, versus 6-7 for a typical DFS+ shave with the Feather.

I love the quality of the ATT razors, but don't think highly of the design itself. It method of aligning the blade is inferior to what the Tech or Feather uses. It has two small pins, precisely located, but awkward to use - too small and too short. The blade tends to pop off the pins before you get the handle tightened.

The angle of the blade also seems odd. It gives aggressiveness without efficiency. Here is the M1 head, which I returned last week:

proxy.php

The M2:

proxy.php

The blade gap was so small that very little hair was removed on any given stroke, yet the blade itself felt like it was scraping my skin. The M2 works better for me (and I've kept it), but I find it only slightly less aggressive than the 2013 R41, and not as smooth. I'm getting to where I can get a good shave with one, but I've yet to have a FUN shave with the ATT. The R41 is more aggressive than I want in a daily shaver, but it puts a smile on my face. The M2? No smiles yet, and I doubt I ever will. The S2 and M1 were returned. The M2 will stay with me for a few more months, but I'm sure it will go up for sale before long. I have too many razors that put a smile on my face - the Feather, Techs, Shavecraft 101, iKon OSS & Muhle R41 - to keep plowing away for much longer with a razor I've come to dislike. I've got an open comb iKon that is supposed to arrive Monday. If it works as well for me as the OSS, I'll put the M2 up for sale on the Gentlemanly Deal forum.

Your experience with ATT sounds like mine with my Weber. I finally got a good shave with it today, but I really had to pay attention to pressure and angle.

If you are looking at the Feather AS-D2 as a mild razor, you should consider the RazoRock Baby Smooth (RRBS) if you can get it. I find it is just as mild as the feather but easier to use and more efficient. You can also get 3 pass shave with RRBS where feather would take 4 passes.

The M1 to me is just bad when I compare it to my Weber (although I refuse to believe it's a bad razor and keep trying it once in a while). Don't know why, but I get razor burn almost every time. Feather AS-D2, once you are used to it, is good but not efficient. While the RRBS in my opinion beats the feather. My Weber was my go to razor for a year and a great razor.

Overall, the feather is a good razor, it just took me a while to understand how to use it.

Just received an ASD2 , this razor is sooo smooth I even managed to go ATG on my neck which is a no no with any other razor, colour me impressed. Also this razor is stunning, it is truly a work of art.

I'm ready to sell my ASD2. After two months of trying 12 different blades, including the feather, I can't get a decent shave. Yes, the angle is different, yes it is smooth, but even with the feather blade, can't get much closer than I did with a cart. takes too many passes which makes my face raw. For me it's not fun, but frustrating. Prefer my Wolfman SB, or Weber PH, which does require more attention due to the aggressiveness, or the Fatboy on 5. Used the Wolfman for the first time in a while this morning with an Astra SP, 2 passes (ATG, XTG), BBS. Now that was fun....

I have no trouble with the efficiency of the Feather. It needs a good blade. Brand doesn't matter, but a blade left in too long will not do squat in my Feather.

However, with a fresh blade, it mows down hairs just fine. My hair grows in all directions, so I need multiple direction passes to get an ATG pass against most of my hair. I never go 2 days without shaving, so I cannot speak to how well it cuts down a 5 day growth. Used daily, it handles things fine.

Used properly, riding on the top cap, I could probably do 10 passes without irritation. It just doesn't need that many passes. It is a 4 pass razor for me. The R41 needs 3, so I don't think the Feather lacks efficiency. I don't think about it requiring pressure, but it does when compared to an R41 or an iKon CC standard. Not much, but the latter razors need nothing but the weight of the handle & head, while the Feather needs me to hold it there. Hard to describe, because if I feel pressure with the Feather, I'm screwing up. With the R41, I need negative pressure almost.

FWIW, I was ready to get rid of my Feather after my first week. I find it needs a VERY shallow angle of blade to face. If I get it slightly too steep, I might as well rub my face with a credit card.

But after my experiences with the ATT razors, I fully understand selling a razor that just doesn't put a smile on your face. The ATT razors are of excellent quality, and are highly praised, but are the only DE razors I've used that made me think carts were preferable. Some razor designs just don't mesh well with how a person likes to shave. There are too many ones that will to suffer long with one that does not.

Well, I did another 4 pass shave with my AS D2, and it's an excellent shave. I would say that this razor is much more difficult to get the shave I so easily get with my Above the Ties razors.

When I have more time, and want the challenge, I will use the Feather, and I ONLY use Feather blades in all my razors. I have a few Wilkinson Sword blades to go through, but Feather blades are absolutely unbeatable in every aspect.

Glad to hear the praises of this razor.

I've had mine for close to a year and found it too mild for my taste. However, a little while ago I started to shim the razor and got better shaves with it. But then recently I began to experiment. I changed the angle that I used for the razor putting the handle closer to my face and I used a Feather blade for the first time in a long time. The result was an excellent shave without the use of a shim. The next time I use the razor I will see if it is the change in angle, the blade, or both that resulted in the closer shave.

I like my feather as well. I just wish they made it with a bulldog style handle. The handle it comes with is too skinny for me. I'm going to try it with my weber bulldog handle Monday morning.

+1 LOVE the Weber handle, bought extras for other razors..

I have no trouble with the efficiency of the Feather. It needs a good blade. Brand doesn't matter, but a blade left in too long will not do squat in my Feather.

However, with a fresh blade, it mows down hairs just fine. My hair grows in all directions, so I need multiple direction passes to get an ATG pass against most of my hair. I never go 2 days without shaving, so I cannot speak to how well it cuts down a 5 day growth. Used daily, it handles things fine.

Used properly, riding on the top cap, I could probably do 10 passes without irritation. It just doesn't need that many passes. It is a 4 pass razor for me. The R41 needs 3, so I don't think the Feather lacks efficiency. I don't think about it requiring pressure, but it does when compared to an R41 or an iKon CC standard. Not much, but the latter razors need nothing but the weight of the handle & head, while the Feather needs me to hold it there. Hard to describe, because if I feel pressure with the Feather, I'm screwing up. With the R41, I need negative pressure almost.

FWIW, I was ready to get rid of my Feather after my first week. I find it needs a VERY shallow angle of blade to face. If I get it slightly too steep, I might as well rub my face with a credit card.

But after my experiences with the ATT razors, I fully understand selling a razor that just doesn't put a smile on your face. The ATT razors are of excellent quality, and are highly praised, but are the only DE razors I've used that made me think carts were preferable. Some razor designs just don't mesh well with how a person likes to shave. There are too many ones that will to suffer long with one that does not.

+1 Agree.. Interesting enough ATT M1 was next on my list to try. Hmm, now wondering if it should be the M2..

Can you tell more about your experience with ATT razors ? M1 head if possible, since we are comparing with feather AS D2 ? It's a real puzzle to me to choose between those two... I have kind of lighter beard, i believe Feather would be able move it down just fine, although in other perspective, i now use Muhle R89 and think that something more aggressive would be fine, because i try to achieve closest shave i can with two passes.. But then my skin is bit sensitive and sometimes i get some minor irritation even with R89... Argh :a32:Just can't decide what would suit me better. So any experiences are welcome. :001_smile

Can you tell more about your experience with ATT razors ? M1 head if possible, since we are comparing with feather AS D2 ? It's a real puzzle to me to choose between those two... I have kind of lighter beard, i believe Feather would be able move it down just fine, although in other perspective, i now use Muhle R89 and think that something more aggressive would be fine, because i try to achieve closest shave i can with two passes.. But then my skin is bit sensitive and sometimes i get some minor irritation even with R89... Argh :a32:Just can't decide what would suit me better. So any experiences are welcome. :001_smile

I have both AS-D2 and the M1. The M1 would be my choice of the two, because it's more aggressive, but still extremely mild compared to others. The M1 wins hands down for me, based on everything you mentioned here. The M1 is so much milder than an R89.

Top Bottom