What's new

Feather As -D2 buyers

Do you still own it , and is it still your daily driver ? If not, what razor replaced it? I’ve wanted this razor for some time and even though I love mild razors , the price tag always put me off. Now that I’m better off financially, I wonder what the results of users are. I know this goes without saying YMMV one person to the next, but opinions and user experiences never hurt.

Just my experience but I wasn't a fan of the AS-D2 when I tried it. Much prefer the Timeless .68 SB over it.

In my rotation, and has never been "replaced." A great, mild razor, and I enjoy the mornings I shave with it. It's the only razor I use that I routinely load with a Feather blade. The AS-D2 requires more attention than some "efficient" razors to get a BBS shave, because of the very shallow cutting angle - if not held correctly it tends not to cut at all. This is a good thing if you get razor burn easily, shaved daily or want to follow a less than comfortable shave from the previous morning. The handle us one of the best stock handles IMO, very positive and the perfect balance. It's also a bargain among "high end" razors at under $200 usually.

Didn't you dislike the Mamba? I've seen multiple posts that say the Feather AS-D2 is a similar shaving experience. Very mild, maybe even milder and smooth. Requires pin point precision in the angle for an efficient shave.

Didn't you dislike the Mamba? I've seen multiple posts that say the Feather AS-D2 is a similar shaving experience. Very mild, maybe even milder and smooth. Requires pin point precision in the angle for an efficient shave.
The Gillette tech is the easiest and most intuitive razor I have ever used. I understand this is based off the design of the Tech,but more efficient. Based off of that, I always wanted the razor.

Last edited:
"I liked it so much I bought the company". No not really, I just bought a second one as backup. Compared to the very expensive razors of late it's somewhat of a bargain. And since there seems to be a mania attached to super aggressive razors there are often good deals on used ASD2's to be found on the B/S/T. That's where I found my backup. In perfect condition with box and papers. I've had mine for years now since they first came out (after the ASD1) and what has been said about them is mostly true. They are a very mild shaver, more comfortable than any Tech I own. And I would agree that you have to spend time using it to find the right angle for the best cutting action. That said, I've produced 100% pefect BBS results with mine. it is a very well manufactured, very precisely fitted razor. Also not sure why so many deride the fact that it's made with a sintering process rather than being milled from a block of steel. It's a razor, not an interstellar rocket part. It is also plated in a beautiful matte chrome that is very very hard. Ask anyone who's tried to remove it for a custom color plating job. Much harder than the typical chrome and nickel plating that comes on less expensive razors. I've been using a DE since 2013 and to be honest with a good shower prep I can now get the same results with any of the razors I have (Old Types, NEWs, Techs, Super Speeds, Merkur 34G etc.) so I think the razor is less important than we think. Mostly technique for results. But if you like owning different models for whatever reason be it their history, material, or even just how they look for bling factor (like the reason I own a 34G) and purchasing them won't starve the kids or cause a missed mortgage or car payment why not? It's a more affordable "hobby" than collecting vintage guitars or restoring cars.

I sold mine and haven’t looked back. Beautiful and great quality, I could not get good shaves without irritation and found it much too mild. Better, mild shavers for me have been the 34C and up the scale the Timeless .68 Ti is an absolute delight to use.

I found the AS-D2 to be a real PITA to use as optimum blade angle is the narrowest I’ve ever experienced. People like them, but it was a lot of work and my face was always on fire after use due to irritation. That’s counter to the mildness of it, but it required me much to many strokes to accomplish a shave. When I did get remotely close to BBS, it didn’t last more than a few hours.

I love my Feather AS-D2. As for being mild - I'm far less likely to nick myself, and yet I still get a really close shave. But I don't find it that difficult to hold the razor at a proper angle.

I own a number of mild razors that I really like. The feather as d2, mamba, and the karve. As well as some vintage gillettes like the tech and super speed.

I get good shaves from them all but if I were forced to pick one it would be the feather as d2. I get flawless shaves every time and it feels good in the hand. I've owned mine a couple of years now.

Do you still own it , and is it still your daily driver ? If not, what razor replaced it? I’ve wanted this razor for some time and even though I love mild razors , the price tag always put me off. Now that I’m better off financially, I wonder what the results of users are. I know this goes without saying YMMV one person to the next, but opinions and user experiences never hurt.

I love my AS-D2, started my DE journey with it and it remains my only modern razor. I found it the most intuitive razor to use, I never had any angle issues, just started shaving with it and it was on point from the get go.

It got replaced however as a daily driver by many a gorgeous vintage razor and it now sits at the bottom of the drawer, sadly. But I will probably never sell it and I shave with it once in a blue moon, enjoying it every time.

I just love the vintage feeling more and have come to prefer less heavy razors with a shorter handle. Also I am mainly into TTO’s now. However, my #1 favorite of all actually is the 1940s razor that the AS-D2 could be built upon: The Hybrid Tech.

Last edited:
I love my AS-D2, started my DE journey with it and it remains my only modern razor. I found it the most intuitive razor to use, I never had any angle issues, just started shaving with it and it was on point from the get go.

It got replaced however as a daily driver by many a gorgeous vintage razor and it now sits at the bottom of the drawer, sadly. But I will probably never sell it and I shave with it once in a blue moon, enjoying it every time.

I just love the vintage feeling more and have come to prefer less heavy razors with a shorter handle. Also I am mainly into TTO’s now. However, my #1 favorite of all actually is the 1940s razor that the AS-D2 could be built upon: The Hybrid Tech.
Pre war or ball end ?

I had one and I sold it. I thought it was well made and I liked the looks of it. I didn’t like the handle, too long, or the head covering the blade tabs. It was also too smooth, if that makes sense. I couldn’t get a good feel for the blade, so I pressed too hard and wound up with irritation. The reason I sold it was because of my preferences, not because of issues with the razor.

Pre war or ball end ?
He said "Hybrid Tech," so the answer is "none of the above."

The Hybrid Tech is an unobtanium, high-sought after razor made for only a short period of time and only in England. It looks exactly like a Raised Flat Bottom New except that it has safety bars instead of an open comb. They were also rhodium plated, rather than being plated in nickel like the usual Techs.

I have a Hybrid Tech, and for me I don't think there is a better DE razor on the planet, so I agree with Northstonehill. I also have an AS-D2 and I enjoy it when it comes up in the rotation.

I have an American pre-war Tech, a Canadian pre-war Tech, an English flat-bottom Tech, and two American post-war Techs in addition to the Hybrid Tech and the AS-D2. I have a LOT of experience with Techs!

In my opinion, the AS-D2 is a great razor, but to me it is closer to the American post-war Tech than it is to the Hybrid Tech. In fact, if I switch out the AS-D2 head and replace it with an American post-war Tech head, but on the Feather handle, the shave seems almost indistinguishable to me. The balance is maybe a bit different because the Tech head is slightly heavier than the AS-D2, but the difference is negligible.

The Hybrid Tech outshaves either one of them, IMO, but I really enjoy both the post-war American Tech and the AS-D2. Both razors are mild and have a narrow shaving angle, but when wielded correctly, yield close, comfortable shaves.

Edited to add that "pre-war or ball-end" is a false dichotomy. Both pre-war and post-war Techs came with both ball-end and fat-handle variants. The differences in the pre-war and post-war Tech are in the head design, not the handle design. Not to mention that any of these heads can be used on almost any aftermarket handle in the world, which is also a lot of fun.

He said "Hybrid Tech," so the answer is "none of the above."

The Hybrid Tech is an unobtanium, high-sought after razor made for only a short period of time and only in England. It looks exactly like a Raised Flat Bottom New except that it has safety bars instead of an open comb. They were also rhodium plated, rather than being plated in nickel like the usual Techs.

I have a Hybrid Tech, and for me I don't think there is a better DE razor on the planet, so I agree with Northstonehill. I also have an AS-D2 and I enjoy it when it comes up in the rotation.

I have an American pre-war Tech, a Canadian pre-war Tech, an English flat-bottom Tech, and two American post-war Techs in addition to the Hybrid Tech and the AS-D2. I have a LOT of experience with Techs!

In my opinion, the AS-D2 is a great razor, but to me it is closer to the American post-war Tech than it is to the Hybrid Tech. In fact, if I switch out the AS-D2 head and replace it with an American post-war Tech head, but on the Feather handle, the shave seems almost indistinguishable to me. The balance is maybe a bit different because the Tech head is slightly heavier than the AS-D2, but the difference is negligible.

The Hybrid Tech outshaves either one of them, IMO, but I really enjoy both the post-war American Tech and the AS-D2. Both razors are mild and have a narrow shaving angle, but when wielded correctly, yield close, comfortable shaves.

Edited to add that "pre-war or ball-end" is a false dichotomy. Both pre-war and post-war Techs came with both ball-end and fat-handle variants. The differences in the pre-war and post-war Tech are in the head design, not the handle design. Not to mention that any of these heads can be used on almost any aftermarket handle in the world, which is also a lot of fun.
I never heard of the hybrid tech. Thanks for clarifying!

The AS-D2 with a Feather blade is one of my favorite razors. I get a BBS irritation-free shave every time I use it. At first, I did not get good shaves with it. However, once I paired it with a Feather blade it performed flawlessly. Plus, I can get up to 12 shaves with a Feather blade - a blade in other razors that fails after two shaves.

d

I never heard of the hybrid tech. Thanks for clarifying!

I actually agree with @kingfisher that the AS-D2 shave also feels a lot like a post-war Tech shave. I was thinking of the weight where the Hybrid is slightly heavier and more sturdy than your usual Techs, and hence feels more comparable to the weight of the AS-D2.

FYI this is the Hybrid Tech, only came in the one model but in a few case guises. :)

I still also use my post-war US Tech on a simple slim handle - love it deeply!

EF7D544C-4928-411A-9DC7-649867925702.jpeg

The AS-D2 with a Feather blade is one of my favorite razors. I get a BBS irritation-free shave every time I use it. At first, I did not get good shaves with it. However, once I paired it with a Feather blade it performed flawlessly. Plus, I can get up to 12 shaves with a Feather blade - a blade in other razors that fails after two shaves.

d

That’s good to hear because I have 40 Feather blades and I’m not a fan of them in other razors.

I actually agree with @kingfisher that the AS-D2 shave also feels a lot like a post-war Tech shave. I was thinking of the weight where the Hybrid is slightly heavier and more sturdy than your usual Techs, and hence feels more comparable to the weight of the AS-D2.

FYI this is the Hybrid Tech, only came in the one model but in a few case guises. :)

I still also use my post-war US Tech on a simple slim handle - love it deeply!

View attachment 954191
Gorgeous razors! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Top Bottom