What's new

Feather Artst Club Blades

I've had a Feather AC SS for a while now which I bought with a pack of the Pro Guard blades.

I only use it once a week for "straight razor Saturday" but I'm getting relatively proficient with it now to the extent I can usually get DFS/BBS in 3 passes with little or no irritation.

Due to the low usage the blades have lasted me ages but I am finally getting towards needing to buy so does anyone have any opinions on whether to stick to the Pro Guards or change it up for some Pro's or even Pro Super's?

Are they a major step up in aggression?

They always seemed pretty significant when I've switched between the two, however, if you stick to one you adjust pretty quickly in my experience.

Guarded or unguarded seems mainly to be a matter of preference.

Some find unguarded blades are not as smooth. Others think they're good and/or convenient, as they can shave more quickly and/or without paying as much attention.

The Pro is the centerpiece of Feather's offering so I believe it's a good idea to try it as a reference point.

The Pro Super is sometimes favored by SS users because it offsets the slightly lesser blade exposure of said razor and brings it on par with the DX.

The Kai Mild and Schick Proline P both are praised by their fans as smooth yet sharp blades.

If you're in the US, I would put together a sampler with Tryablade.
Razorbladeclub is another alternative, but EU-based.

When I tried a Pro Super the first few shaves were a bit too sharp for me but then it settled down nicely and lasted almost 20 shaves.

I like Schick Proline better. A little bit milder out the gate and seem to last just as long.

The milder unguarded blades are easy to shave with, IMO.

Normally I only do WTG & XTG or even just a single WTG pass. If you do an ATG pass you'll probably need to replace the blade more often.

Some find unguarded guarded blades are not as smooth. Others think they're good and/or convenient, as they can shave more quickly and/or without paying as much attention.

Whoops, this sentence was meant to refer to "guarded", not "unguarded" blades.

Sorry, the edit time window has expired. The rest of the post needs no other adjustments.

I've used both the Feather Pro and Pro-Guard AC blades. I never found the Pro-Guard to my liking. It seemed to me to be the exact opposite to what they are advertised as. But I definitely like the Feather Pro, especially on a Sunday when I have lots of time to be very particular with my Mongoose. I've not tried the Kai Captain or the Kai Captain Mild. (I do, however, have them on order.)

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I use them (the hair shaper format), occasionally, in both an ATT SE and a Feather SS. When I used them back to back I noticed a difference, not so much anymore. As said above I think you adapt to whichever you get pretty quickly. I prefer the Super Pro's actually, but have been slowly burning off the others, the KAI's from a sampler were least satisfactory for me but worked just fine. I haven't found that significant a gap in the AC blades as opposed to DE's

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm kind of new to AC blades but I was very impressed with the DE Kai SS blades so I bought some Kai Protouch guarded blades and have been very happy with them, They a sharp and smooth and you can even apply a little pressure to get that shave very close. I struggle with the chin area like most folks would. I bought some AC China ungarded version when I bought my Kai style Shavette but they were over aggressive in my unexperienced hands to start with. I like the Kai Protouch guarded because it gives me the shave I like DFS,BBS range and a reasonable fast shave( about as fast as a my DE or SE razors) and that is all that counts.
Kai style folding shavette- Mfg- 2017--.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My blade preference depends on the razor.

For my Feather and Facón Japanese Style non-folding shavettes, I prefer the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (guard) and the Schick Proline (no guard).

YMMV

Imo, both the Schick Proline and the Kai Mild pink are better than any of the Feather blades. To me it is not even particularly close.

If you insist on a Feather blade, the Pro is a lot smoother than the Proguard. But I would encourage you to try the Schick and/or the Kai before you decide which blades are best for you.

I've had a Feather AC SS for a while now which I bought with a pack of the Pro Guard blades.

I only use it once a week for "straight razor Saturday" but I'm getting relatively proficient with it now to the extent I can usually get DFS/BBS in 3 passes with little or no irritation.

Due to the low usage the blades have lasted me ages but I am finally getting towards needing to buy so does anyone have any opinions on whether to stick to the Pro Guards or change it up for some Pro's or even Pro Super's?

Are they a major step up in aggression?
I have only used the Pro Supers with my AC SS, as I wanted it to resemble a real SR as much as possible.

It gives me great shaves and for that "naked blade" experience, I could only wish for MORE and not less blade exposure.

Never tried the Pro Guards, don't plan either.

I do believe if your technique is good, you won't face any challenges stepping up to Supers.

Good luck!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I believe the Professional is exactly the same as the Proguard but without the guard. The Super is slightly wider so has more blade exposure. They all give a great shave so use whatever you like, you can relax a bit with the Proguards but they are a bit more expensive. No blade, in my opinion, is a step up from any other. 👍

Top Bottom