What's new

Feather Artist Club SS versus DX

Interesting...
It is going for $150 all in on The Bay. I didn't even think to try Amazon, I thought the Japanese site was all Kanji.
Wait, thinking about it, the last time I tried ordering from Japan, you can't just order on Amazon. You have to pay a service that buys it for you and mails it. It would end up costing over $100 that way. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Thank you! I ordered the kamisori. Hopefully it works better for me than the SS.

I just had my first shave with a DX kamisori clone, and I think it's easier to get a close shave but the SS might be a little bit more comfortable due to the geometry. However, I found I had less feedback on the alum block with the DX since I was able to shave shallower angle and probably with less pressure. Hopefully, you'll find the DX more to your liking.

Interesting...
It is going for $150 all in on The Bay. I didn't even think to try Amazon, I thought the Japanese site was all Kanji.
Wait, thinking about it, the last time I tried ordering from Japan, you can't just order on Amazon. You have to pay a service that buys it for you and mails it. It would end up costing over $100 that way. 🤷‍♂️
Well IDK, $104 is quite a bit less than $150, and waiting a few weeks wasn't an issue for me. But Amazon often will ship export from many of their international sites. To order on Amazon Japan, you need to create a new Amazon account separate from your domestic one. Once that's done, and you reset the language preference to English, it works well enough. There's still a bunch of things in Japanese, but if you're familiar with Amazon it's not too hard to muddle through.

Perhaps, you're thinking of Rakuten Japan that stopped shipping to the USA? For Rakuten purchases I have used a proxy service called "From Japan", they do run frequent vendor discounts, although small like 7% off Rakuten. I've done this twice when buying a bunch of items at one time, like multiple packs of several different AC blades. Otherwise, it didn't make sense with the proxy fee and high shipping.

Thank you! I ordered the kamisori. Hopefully it works better for me than the SS.
You're welcome. I hope it works out well for you. I'm looking forward to trying the RS out. The DX shaves closer for me than the SS. Although I tried a $15 Chinese copy of what looks like a Kai Kasho to me and got a very nice shave this morning.

Screenshot_20210704-225623_Facebook.jpg
Maybe this will be helpful.

Fourth DX Shave Notes

Today I shaved off a 5 day growth. The DX was mostly comfortable, but I still got the stiction a few times. One of these resulted in a nick. In looking at the DX and my SS, I noted that the top of the razor is wider in the DX than the SS. I don't have a set of calipers, but eyeballing it, it looks like the top is at least 1mm wider on the DX than the SS. This width, in company with the curve of the blade may be my issue. You can see this if you look at the PLANofMAN's drawing in the post above this one. My comparison was literally putting the 2 razors back to back.

I have noted that the stiction kicks exclusively when I am going ATG. I am not sure why this is the case, but after I got the nick, I switched to the SS to clean up. My initial plan was to use the DX through Friday. At this point, I think I have determined that I really do prefer the SS to the DX. I get just as good a shave with the SS and it is more comfortable and predictable. So - I am concluding this test on the DX.

Next up, comparing the Schick blade to the Feather Pro that I am used to. My current Feather blade in the SS has been in for about a month, so now is a good time to put in a new blade. I will probably take a day off to let the nick heal up, then I will try out the Schick blade. All other variables will remain constant and I will be using the SS only. If you are interested, stay tuned.

Two things:
1) why are we insisting on calling the new Feather razor the RS when it is very clearly called the SR?
2) the SR appears to have a similar profile to the Kai Luffy and the Kai Kasho. These are great razors, similar in some ways to the SS, but with a much smaller bump that allows for the safety of the SS with a shallower angle, and avoids the stiction of the DX.

If I didn't already have the Kai Kasho and a clone of the Kai Luffy in my arsenal, I would probably pick up the SR.

Well, and also if I hadn't just spent a fortune on a rhodium-plated Toggle....

Two things:
1) why are we insisting on calling the new Feather razor the RS when it is very clearly called the SR?
2) the SR appears to have a similar profile to the Kai Luffy and the Kai Kasho. These are great razors, similar in some ways to the SS, but with a much smaller bump that allows for the safety of the SS with a shallower angle, and avoids the stiction of the DX.

If I didn't already have the Kai Kasho and a clone of the Kai Luffy in my arsenal, I would probably pick up the SR.

Well, and also if I hadn't just spent a fortune on a rhodium-plated Toggle....
I am curious why the SR folding is WiFi enabled while the traditional kamisori is not. :laugh: Or better stated, why does the non-folding SR not have the same decoration on the face? Maybe it is meant to provide a better grip when opening the folding razor, but it seems more for appearance than function.

Here are a few comparison pictures I took this morning.

The first one is of the three heads closed to show the faces; SR on Top, DX in the middle, and SS on the bottom:

PXL_20210708_161856218.jpg

The next one shows the profiles; SS left, DX center, SR right:
PXL_20210708_162108752.jpg

The last picture shows the innards; SS left, DX center, and SR right:
PXL_20210708_162308640.jpg

I hope you find these interesting. The SR from profile and innards seems closer to the DX. I'm off to shave with the SR again now, today I'll try a fresh blade.

Schick Blade in Artist Club SS Shave #1

Today I tried the Schick blade for the AC series of razors in my SS. Overall, I got a comfortable BBS with no irritation, nicks or weepers. No sting with aftershave either. Comparing it with the Feather Professional blades I have been using for the last couple of years I have the following first impressions.

Pros of the Schick
- it feels more like a regular straight than the Feather
- it is somewhat smoother* than the Feather
- it allows for buffing without irritation

Cons of the Schick
- it is noticeably less sharp than the Feather
- it was more draggy* than the Feather
- it needed more buffing than the feather to get the same result
- I doubt it will last as long as a Feather blade

* I know draggy and smoother on the opposite sides may be confusing. What I mean here is that the Schick feels more polished due, in part to its being less sharp. This feels smoother than the feather. However, by virtue of being sharper, the feather slices the whiskers more effortlessly and, hence, has less felt drag while it does not feel as smooth in the first shave or two.

I will continue to use this blade until it needs to be replaced. At that time, I will post my analysis of how it ranks with the feather overall.

Here are a few comparison pictures I took this morning.

The first one is of the three heads closed to show the faces; SR on Top, DX in the middle, and SS on the bottom:

View attachment 1293740

The next one shows the profiles; SS left, DX center, SR right: View attachment 1293742

The last picture shows the innards; SS left, DX center, and SR right: View attachment 1293743

I hope you find these interesting. The SR from profile and innards seems closer to the DX. I'm off to shave with the SR again now, today I'll try a fresh blade.
Is the DX really that much shorter than the SR and SS? Looks 5/8" and the others look 7/8".

Also, SR means "Super Razor." What do SS and DX mean?
1614352521127.png

Last edited:
Is the DX really that much shorter than the SR and SS? Looks 5/8" and the others look 7/8".

Also, SR means "Super Razor." What do SS and DX mean?
Without a blade the SS is about 1/16" taller, at 11/16", while the DX is about 5/8". My SR has a blade in it, but it seems just a bit smaller than the SS, but a bit bigger than the DX. None seem 7/8" inch without a blade. I'm sorry if the pictures were misleading; not a pro at this. The ruler in hand is in inches and only to 16ths.

As to Feather's nomenclature, IDK- it's hard to fathom. But the SR is definitely a nice razor.

Schick Blade in Artist Club SS Shave #2

Today I shaved 2.5 days of beard with the Schick. I made a more firm lather than I normally do and the Schick felt better, but at the expense of more soap usage. I got a SAS. No irritations etc. Tomorrow I will try the thicker lather with a 24 hour growth.

Schick Blade in Artist Club SS Shaves #3 & 4

I shaved a 1 day growth each of the last 2 days. I made a good thick lather like this blade seems to prefer. Both days got a SAS, but on day 4, the blade was getting noticeably more draggy. If I had to, I could get a few more shaves out of it, but when blades get draggy, I tend to nick myself so, it’s done. I am used to getting more shaves out of the Feather before they get draggy.

Over these 4 shaves, my opinion on the Schick is that it is less sharp than the Feather. This is the first time I have used a blade other than the feather in my AC. It illuminates the “shave ready” status of straights. Both of these blades were, when new, shave ready, but they have a noticeably different feel and the shave ready status of each wears off at a different rate. I prefer the Feather.

I appreciate the opportunity to try the Schick. It’s always good to try different things, however, I will return to the Feather.

Your impressions of the Schick are the first time anybody I have read has had the same experience as myself. I still don't know if it was a QC issue, but I made a thread after visibly discovering a Schick that was wider like a Super. This would match your "feels like a straight." I have always thought that when people review them and comment that they are somehow sharper than a feather, they are reacting to the extra width. It is kind of interesting that it is the Feather AC that needs a couple shaves whereas the DE is done after a couple shaves. I have no problem with new Feather Pros right out of the dispenser. I also only get 4 shave out of the Schick, but after only using three of the 30, it's going in the bottom of the pile.

Top Bottom