What's new

Feather Artist Club SS versus DX

For me the SS is not usable with other blades than the pro super blade. These blades are wider, which gives just the right angle. I also have the new RG which works well with the proline and feather pro regular.
Interesting. I use all sorts of blades but never noticed a difference but then, I've never used the Supers and I hear they are a bit wider so they might be on my buy list now :)

Love the SS but it does have an awkward angle that is easy to get wrong and thus it is possible to nick yourself but overall, it is a very mild razor and gives me excellent shaves. I also love the handle.

The DX feels a bit more refined. I like its professional streamlined design and it is a super shaver! It almost feels like cheating.

You'll own both.

I found out last week that using the Feather Light in a SS is just a horrible idea. The lip on the SS makes the angle very difficult to obtain and it's very steep and felt like shaving with glass in many places.

For me the SS is not usable with other blades than the pro super blade. These blades are wider, which gives just the right angle. I also have the new RG which works well with the proline and feather pro regular.

I found the Pro and Pro Guards to work well enough, I have yet to try the Pro Super. Lights are definitely a bad choice for this razor.

I found out last week that using the Feather Light in a SS is just a horrible idea. The lip on the SS makes the angle very difficult to obtain and it's very steep and felt like shaving with glass in many places.
The new RG model is the best of both in my opinion.
The super blade transformes the SS to a really greate razor. It is like shaving with a straight with a safety bar.

The super blade transformes the SS to a really greate razor. It is like shaving with a straight with a safety bar.

It looks like the RG model is really right down the middle in terms of design between the DX and SS. If the price isn't too high I might pick one up.

@PLANofMAN Just a quick note, I decided to grab an IBC shavette based a lot on a review you did of it. I thought you did a good job and the price was right in my wheelhouse for a good shavette.

Fair enough, and I know Manuel is working on more projects. Maybe one of them will be a better value proposition to you.

I would love to see him come out with a product that is more affordable. I think the shavette looks great, but I wouldn't spend that type of money on a DE or SE either. It's just a little too much.

That's kind of what I got from reading your comment. I also thought back to how many people liked the blades. Then there were some who just loved the SS more than I felt like I did. It could very well be that lots of people found this great combination. Thanks again!

Second DX Shave Notes

I found an angle, but not the right angle. I got rid of the stiction, but had to overwork certain areas to get a good shave. There was some irritation, so I skipped the next day.

Third DX Shave Notes

With a 2 day growth, I found the right angle and got a good shave with no irritation - on par with the SS. I still had a stiction issue a couple of times. This is an issue I have not had with the SS.

I will continue to use the DX as planned. My opinion at this time is that the DX does nothing for me the SS won’t do. We shall see what I think in a week or so.

Last edited:
I think I'm fortunate in that the sticktion doesn't cause any issues for me. The angle doesn't cause me to lose control of the blade placement against my skin. It actually kind of helps below the jaw.

On Feather's web site I see a new model- the RS, but can't seem to find anything about a new RG model? Is it the RS you're talking about? The only place I could find one for sale was Amazon Japan and only with black scales. I went ahead an ordered an RS to try out. Estimated delivery date is mid-July; cost w/shipping was USD $104, but I don't know if there will be any customs duty. So far with items I've ordered from Amazon Japan they've come through easily with no added charges.

BTW the prices for the SS on Amazon Japan are, even with shipping, often less than the US prices. I bought my SS Japanese style from Japan last year and it was ~$75, shipped.

The RS appears to have about the same leading-edge profile as the SS but without the significant bar running across the body of the holder. It may deliver an improved shave over the SS, but I'll see. Here's the info and photo from Feather's web site; note the edge profile. I'll post again if the razor actually show up.

s6_img1.jpg

On Feather's web site I see a new model- the RS, but can't seem to find anything about a new RG model? Is it the RS you're talking about? The only place I could find one for sale was Amazon Japan and only with black scales. I went ahead an ordered an RS to try out. Estimated delivery date is mid-July; cost w/shipping was USD $104, but I don't know if there will be any customs duty. So far with items I've ordered from Amazon Japan they've come through easily with no added charges.

BTW the prices for the SS on Amazon Japan are, even with shipping, often less than the US prices. I bought my SS Japanese style from Japan last year and it was ~$75, shipped.

The RS appears to have about the same leading-edge profile as the SS but without the significant bar running across the body of the holder. It may deliver an improved shave over the SS, but I'll see. Here's the info and photo from Feather's web site; note the edge profile. I'll post again if the razor actually show up.

View attachment 1290648
Yes, that is the one i bought from
Japan. Here it is next to my SS. The SS is loaded with a pro super and the SR is loaded with a pro blade.

20210702_204258.jpg

Last edited:
Second DX Shave Notes

I found an angle, but not the right angle. I got rid of the stiction, but had to overwork certain areas to get a good shave. There was some irritation, so I skipped the next day.

Third DX Shave Notes

With a 2 day growth, I found the right angle and got a good shave with no irritation - on par with the SS. I still had a stiction issue a couple of times. This is an issue I have not had with the SS.

I will continue to use the DX as planned. My opinion at this time is that the DX does nothing for me the SS won’t do. We shall see what I think in a week or so.
Nice you're giving the DX a go. It really is a matter of YMMV. Going from an SS to the DX, stiction became more noticeable for me too. I found some tighter stretching and shaving a slightly smaller area at a time worked some. For me, the thing about the SS is that it's just so comfortable to use, I tend to relax and not treat it with enough respect; I enjoyed a few weepers today on one errant stroke as a result :001_rolle . The new RS model @JPO just posted pics of may be just the ticket; maybe no stiction and still comfortable.

Nice you're giving the DX a go. It really is a matter of YMMV. Going from an SS to the DX, stiction became more noticeable for me too. I found some tighter stretching and shaving a slightly smaller area at a time worked some. For me, the thing about the SS is that it's just so comfortable to use, I tend to relax and not treat it with enough respect; I enjoyed a few weepers today on one errant stroke as a result :001_rolle . The new RS model @JPO just posted pics of may be just the ticket; maybe no stiction and still comfortable.
For me the new model lets me use a more shallow angle. For me that is important going against the grain. The rubber grip on the handle is also good, even with wet hands.
The balance point is also right where i pinch the razor. The SS folding model can be a bit head heavy in my opinion.

Yes, that is the one i bought from
Japan. Here it is next to my SS. The SS is loaded with a pro super and the SR is loaded with a pro blade.

View attachment 1290685
Thanks so much for posting this and clarifying it for me.
For me the new model lets me use a more shallow angle. For me that is important going against the grain. The rubber grip on the handle is also good, even with wet hands.
The balance point is also right where i pinch the razor. The SS folding model can be a bit head heavy in my opinion.
I was just typing a response when you posted- thanks! I was wondering how the RS acts differently from the SS. Now, it's just wait until the RS shows up. I'll have to try the Pro Super blade in the SS; that's a great suggestion.

@JPO, if you're in the US, did you get hit with any customs delay or duties on your RS? I didn't when I ordered the SS from Amazon Japan last year, but was wondering if they would clip me this year.

Thanks so much for posting this and clarifying it for me.

I was just typing a response when you posted- thanks! I was wondering how the RS acts differently from the SS. Now, it's just wait until the RS shows up. I'll have to try the Pro Super blade in the SS; that's a great suggestion.

@JPO, if you're in the US, did you get hit with any customs delay or duties on your RS? I didn't when I ordered the SS from Amazon Japan last year, but was wondering if they would clip me this year.
From Japan to Norway took around 8 days. I have no idea about shipping from Japan to the us. For some reason it is easier/faster to get stuff from japan than the us.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Is it the RS you're talking about? The only place I could find one for sale was Amazon Japan

What keywords did you use to find it? I tried on amazon.co.jp with various combinations of: Feather AC SR RS artist club razor kamisori, but no results.

What keywords did you use to find it? I tried on amazon.co.jp with various combinations of: Feather AC SR RS artist club razor kamisori, but no results.
@Eben Stone- Here it is: Feather Artist Club SR Leather Black at Amazon.co.jp: Feather Artist Club SR Leather Black: Beauty - https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Feather-Artist-Club-Leather-Black/dp/B08KT3GLHL

There was also a baby blue Japanese style I saw, and a pink western style- neither of those colors were for me, so I went with the black.

The translation of plastic scales to the English word "leather" is weird, but it's clearly the new SR model from the pictures and description. Razor was US $90.39, shipping was $13.45, total is $103.84. Order says arriving 7/12, but it hasn't been marked shipped yet.

Top Bottom