What's new

Feather Artist Club SS versus DX

I have had and used an Artist Club SS for a couple of years now. I like the razor and the shaves it gives. I am curious about the Artist Club DX. It is more that twice the price and the geometry is different. I also use traditional straights from full hollow to full wedge.

For folks who have experience with both the SS & DX, can you say what you like about each and especially how they shave differently, if at all. I appreciate your input.

An AC shaver for many years, I have both, and an old RG. Feather SS is an updated design with a ridge running across the face of the blade. I think the ridge is there to eliminate the stiction you can get when using the Feather DX essentially flat to the face. The SS also has a more rounded lip at the shaving end than the DX. Both seem to be made of fine materials and I've had no problems with either. Both shave well; it's really a matter of choice and blade pairing.

Here's a picture showing the different blade exposure, hope this helps:

ss.jpg

I find the SS to be less aggressive and easier to use without concern for nicks or weepers. Perhaps that means it cuts less closely but I find it provides a very good shave with minimal fuss. A good choice when time for shaving is limited. I like the more traditional shape of the DX and looks of the finish. I like shaving with the DX but do occasionally get a nick or weeper if not focused.

As a rough analogy to high performance cars - the SS is like a car with traction control where one can enjoy the speed with less chance of crashing (getting weepers), while the DX is like a fast car without traction control where one needs to be a little more careful with the throttle (angle and pressure) or they may end up in the ditch (getting cut).

I find the SS to be less aggressive and easier to use without concern for nicks or weepers. Perhaps that means it cuts less closely but I find it provides a very good shave with minimal fuss. A good choice when time for shaving is limited. I like the more traditional shape of the DX and looks of the finish. I like shaving with the DX but do occasionally get a nick or weeper if not focused.

As a rough analogy to high performance cars - the SS is like a car with traction control where one can enjoy the speed with less chance of crashing (getting weepers), while the DX is like a fast car without traction control where one needs to be a little more careful with the throttle (angle and pressure) or they may end up in the ditch (getting cut).
Perfectly explained !
My only other observation is that longevity of BBS with DX is way more than that of with SS. When I shave with SS, I can't feel any stubble for five hours, after that I can feel tiny amount of stubble. But when I shave with DX and get a BBS, I don't have anything much left to shave even after 12 hours ! Do DX definitely shaves more closely !:straight:

Or you could get yourself a Tedalus Essence, out of 30+ shavettes this has become my favourite (but it's more costly then most others so .....)

View attachment 1287081
Neat looking! Thanks for sharing. The company says it takes 1/2 DE blades, as well as Feathers, Kai, and SE injector blades- how does it actually hold the blades? I'm curious as to what the innards look like.
That is a bit over styled for my taste but sure is eye catching. Presumably the scales material must be very light else the oversized end would make the razor unbalanced.
From their store ad, the scales seem to be made of aluminum, so perhaps lightweight enough for balance. The old folding Kai Excelia had metal scales and balances well. But, I'm not running out to spend ~$350 on a holder though. I thought the most recent Feather DX I bought on sale was pricey :001_smile .

Neat looking! Thanks for sharing. The company says it takes 1/2 DE blades, as well as Feathers, Kai, and SE injector blades- how does it actually hold the blades? I'm curious as to what the innards look like.

From their store ad, the scales seem to be made of aluminum, so perhaps lightweight enough for balance. The old folding Kai Excelia had metal scales and balances well. But, I'm not running out to spend ~$350 on a holder though. I thought the most recent Feather DX I bought on sale was pricey :001_smile .

I agree, this looks like an amazing razor, but it's a shavette and I can get a really nice straight for that price. It's about $450 CAD and I'm not sure if there wouldn't be tax and duty at the border, which would add about another $50-100 I would imagine. If it was in the same price range as the AC SS then it would be a slam dunk for me to order.

It's lightweight and very balanced. As to the price yes it's rather high, people make the choice to spend what they want on items, you can have a straight razor for a few dollars or you can buy a Iwasaki for $2000, they both shave.

More information on that shavette can be found (with pictures also of the inside) here:

As this deviates from the original topic.
@Shutterbug57 that's really nice looking forward to your thoughts!

It's lightweight and very balanced. As to the price yes it's rather high, people make the choice to spend what they want on items, you can have a straight razor for a few dollars or you can buy a Iwasaki for $2000, they both shave.

More information on that shavette can be found (with pictures also of the inside) here:

As this deviates from the original topic.
@Shutterbug57 that's really nice looking forward to your thoughts!
Thanks, I did see the magnetic closure and the different blade stops here: Essence by Tedalus - https://damnfineshave.com/thread-essence-by-tedalus?page=4

Looks balanced and at 61 grams it is light enough.

Enjoy your razor!

Neat looking! Thanks for sharing. The company says it takes 1/2 DE blades, as well as Feathers, Kai, and SE injector blades- how does it actually hold the blades? I'm curious as to what the innards look like...
I'm not sure this has ever been talked about. The blade holder is made from a highly magnetic version of stainless steel. Inset into the body are two 1mm thick magnets. Inset into the slide are the blade cutouts, including relief cutouts for the bent tabs on a snapped in half DE blade. The only thing holding the blades in place is the spring tension of the two halves of the blade holder being held together by the magnets. It's far and away the most secure method I've seen for holding a blade in a shavette. The three pieces of metal become as one. The nubs put the half DE blade in its proper place, act as stops for injector and AC blades, and as guide pegs to ride in the channel cut into the other half for proper locking together of the halves. It's an elegant design.
IMG_1624860444059.jpeg

The AC blade literally stretches the entire length of the 'faux' blade, while still being locked in place and mostly enclosed. The blade, when put together is 4.2 mm thick at it's widest point. It's unbelievable how much is going on in the innards of this razor, given how thin it is.
I agree, this looks like an amazing razor, but it's a shavette and I can get a really nice straight for that price...
It is a really nice straight. It just happens to use disposable blades.

I have had and used an Artist Club SS for a couple of years now. I like the razor and the shaves it gives. I am curious about the Artist Club DX. It is more that twice the price and the geometry is different. I also use traditional straights from full hollow to full wedge.

For folks who have experience with both the SS & DX, can you say what you like about each and especially how they shave differently, if at all. I appreciate your input.
As I understand it, the difference in price is due to the SS being MIM molded stainless, and the DX is made from a higher grade stainless and has more machining done to it. I have been unable to determine if the DX is fully machined from a solid billit or if it starts life as a MIM mold as well. Also the finish and the handle quality is better on the DX.

Others have already talked about the difference in shave and profile. Both are considered by Feather to be barber grade razors, rather than personal use razors. All day, every day use, rather than once a day use. As an owner of an SS, you probably already figured that part out.

I'm not sure this has ever been talked about. The blade holder is made from a highly magnetic version of stainless steel. Inset into the body are two 1mm thick magnets. Inset into the slide are the blade cutouts, including relief cutouts for the bent tabs on a snapped in half DE blade. The only thing holding the blades in place is the spring tension of the two halves of the blade holder being held together by the magnets. It's far and away the most secure method I've seen for holding a blade in a shavette. The three pieces of metal become as one. The nubs put the half DE blade in its proper place, act as stops for injector and AC blades, and as guide pegs to ride in the channel cut into the other half for proper locking together of the halves. It's an elegant design.
View attachment 1288407
The AC blade literally stretches the entire length of the 'faux' blade, while still being locked in place and mostly enclosed. The blade, when put together is 4.2 mm thick at it's widest point. It's unbelievable how much is going on in the innards of this razor, given how thin it is.

It is a really nice straight. It just happens to use disposable blades.
Thanks, this is what I asked about. Seems very clever. The video showed this some, but your closeup picture is great.

First Impressions

The DX is a very nice looking razor. The version I am trying has the white plastic handle and while I like the look of the wood handle, the plastic handle is more practical, costs less and will require less maintenance. If I decide to get a DX, it will be the plastic handled version.

Comparison Equipment

I will use my normal Mikes Natural soap, Feather Professional blade and Rudy Vey or Wee Scot brush for the duration of the comparison of the SS to the DX; the only variable will be the shavette itself. I will review different blades and soaps after reviewing the razors.

First Shave Notes

I used the DX for today's shave (Monday morning). No cuts, nicks or other irritation. I had last shaved Saturday evening before going out to an event, so 1.5 days of growth. There will be a learning curve on the geometry of this razor. In certain spots, especially the curvature of my neck, there were places where the razor seemed to stick to my skin. This was not a problem going up toward the chin, but coming down it was noticed. I have not had this issue with the SS which I have used for a couple of years. This resulted in a less than great shave so I cleaned it up with the SS. Tomorrow I will plan more time to address this issue with the DX.

Testing Plan

I plan to use the DX exclusively for the next 3 days - Tues, Wed & Thurs. This will, hopefully, allow me to identify the geometry needed with this razor. I will take a break over the holiday weekend. Then on Tuesday, I will use the DX to attack the 5 days of stubble and see how the razor does on that. I know how the SS will perform in these situations, but once I dial in the approach on the DX, I will shave half with the SS & half with the DX, then form an overall opinion. I would anticipate this test to be completed by Friday a week, so a roughly 2 week test. Once I have completed the razor comparison, I will test the Feather Professional blade (which I have used for the last couple of years) with the Schick blade in both razors

Love the SS but it does have an awkward angle that is easy to get wrong and thus it is possible to nick yourself but overall, it is a very mild razor and gives me excellent shaves. I also love the handle.

The DX feels a bit more refined. I like its professional streamlined design and it is a super shaver! It almost feels like cheating.

You'll own both.

Last edited:
For me the SS is not usable with other blades than the pro super blade. These blades are wider, which gives just the right angle. I also have the new RG which works well with the proline and feather pro regular.

Top Bottom