What's new

Feather Artist Club SS - Don't Do This!

It'd had been a long time since I last used my Artist Club SS kamisori with Feather Pro (PB-20) blades. I usually shave with a Muhle DE89 Grande with Feather stainless blades.

I was mentally not focused, kinda rushing and I guided the razor over my left upper cheek, it skipped and made a surgical-like straight incision into my skin at the peak of my cheek bone.

I carefully finished my shave with the Muhle while applying pressure to my cheek with a paper towel.

Thankfully, with the help of my partner, a butter-fly bandage and Neosporin it's healed pretty well.

The bite instigated me to buy a pack of Feather's Progaurd (PG-15) and a pack of Kai's ProTouch MG blades (I had used these when I initially got this razor years ago to learn it) so I could have more, safer blades to get my skill back in line with this.

And to think I was contemplating buying an SR or DX version =\ I probably would have taken my nose off.

Anyway kids, don't press a razor to your face if you haven't used it in a while and/or are feeling any sort of stress. Surely won't go well :)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Sounds like you have a faulty AC SS. I had a similar problem with one of my Cadman "Bengall" SRs a while ago - rushed shaving and not concentrating.

@rbscebu - i presume you're joking about the fault razor. More like faulty human :) I had previously experienced successful, less bloodied shaving with this when I was using it more regularly.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve been daily SR shaving for a few years now. Even with a Pro Guard blade I’m not tempted to pick up my Feather SS. I just fing the SR a more forgiving tool. Both require care and attention though.

Intersting experience. I just started using a Feather SS after using a regular straight edge for many years (years ago) I've been taking it nice and slow and so far haven't nicked myself. I've been using a Pro guard blade, so that might have something to do with it.

I will never use it when I'm in a hurry.

Like rock climbing, motorbike racing, and shark fighting, straights require Zen-level concentration.

If I'm tired, or distracted, or in a hurry, I'd never pick up a straight. Or fight a shark.
Sometimes using a straight razor feels a lot like shark fighting!

Totally Love my Feather folding shavettes!!
Most often with ProGuard or SoftGuard blades, which are awesome!
Rarely have any nick or cut, knock on wood!!

taylor of old bond st tobacco leaf rudy vey feather november 29 2022p.jpg

Just tried one of the Softguards. Didn't work out for me, so I'm selling/trading the 14 in the injector case.
Indeed, SoftGuard is not for everyone!
But love mine!
Will be looking for your selling post!

feather soft guard blade.jpg

Attachments

• feather soft guard blade.jpg
    feather soft guard blade.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
It'd had been a long time since I last used my Artist Club SS kamisori with Feather Pro (PB-20) blades. I usually shave with a Muhle DE89 Grande with Feather stainless blades.

I was mentally not focused, kinda rushing and I guided the razor over my left upper cheek, it skipped and made a surgical-like straight incision into my skin at the peak of my cheek bone.

I carefully finished my shave with the Muhle while applying pressure to my cheek with a paper towel.

Thankfully, with the help of my partner, a butter-fly bandage and Neosporin it's healed pretty well.

The bite instigated me to buy a pack of Feather's Progaurd (PG-15) and a pack of Kai's ProTouch MG blades (I had used these when I initially got this razor years ago to learn it) so I could have more, safer blades to get my skill back in line with this.

And to think I was contemplating buying an SR or DX version =\ I probably would have taken my nose off.

Anyway kids, don't press a razor to your face if you haven't used it in a while and/or are feeling any sort of stress. Surely won't go well :)
All part of the learning process. I had a similar experience when learning to use a straight razor and carry a small scar to remind me! 😂

I’ve shaved with DE’s, straights and the Feather kamisori. My DE consistently shaves me the closest, and with the least amount of nicks/cuts. Although I am tempted from time to time to use my Feather kamisori, the experience just reminds me how much I like my DE’s (loaded with a Feather blade, of course).

reporting back on this...

To further practice, I've been integrating the Feather kamisori into my DE routine by using it to perform the 2nd pass and installed a Feather Proguard blade. I also picked up the Kai guarded blades too since I recall liking them as well.

After much more practice I can see wanting to eventually evolve to the SR or DX series at some point to allow for an even closer, controlled shave.

I use my DE for the 3rd pass and it's been a blood free affair so far :)

I’ve shaved with DE’s, straights and the Feather kamisori. My DE consistently shaves me the closest, and with the least amount of nicks/cuts. Although I am tempted from time to time to use my Feather kamisori, the experience just reminds me how much I like my DE’s (loaded with a Feather blade, of course).

It took me a while for my SR shaves to rival my DE shaves. Not a whole year, but most of it. Now? I can shave just as close as I can with most DEs and it is much more comfortable. I find nicks and cuts are only present if I exhibit negligence. If I pull out my Gillette old type ball end with an open comb, it's apt to look like a murder scene if I'm not being super careful. That's the one DE that I can get a closer shave than I can most of the time with SRs. I have a few SRs that can rival it on some days. But boy that Gillette is unforgiving. Even if I unscrew the cap a bit.

reporting back on this...

To further practice, I've been integrating the Feather kamisori into my DE routine by using it to perform the 2nd pass and installed a Feather Proguard blade. I also picked up the Kai guarded blades too since I recall liking them as well.

After much more practice I can see wanting to eventually evolve to the SR or DX series at some point to allow for an even closer, controlled shave.

I use my DE for the 3rd pass and it's been a blood free affair so far :)
Feather AC razors are incredible. Amazing tools. But they do need especial care and attention in use, more so than a straight.

If you're still struggling with cuts, the best advice I can give is:

- slow it down
- ensure your lather is rich and slick (rehydrate it frequently)
- keep angle low
- keep pressure light

Slick lather is massive in SR shaving IMO. Increasingly I feel it's an essential precondition for good technique.

When you do get a nick, alum block and / or styptic pencil are very useful.

It sounds as if you've taken a thoughtful approach to progressing your skill on the AC SS.

Yes you can get a lovely shave off an AC SR (have never used a DX so can't comment but I'm sure they're great too). I found that I needed even more focus when using the SR, it is just more positive and will cut both hair and skin more readily. All the advice above applies, just more so. But it's worth the effort, when you get it right it's magic. I've gone back to my AC SS kami for the vast majority of my shaves, but if I had an SR kami it would probably be used the most - I head shave, and I find kami razors are better for this.

Before you get an SR, it might be worth seeing how you go with Pro Super blades in the SS. This will give a more positive shave, and might help you prepare for the transition to an SR or similar.

Feather AC razors are incredible. Amazing tools. But they do need especial care and attention in use, more so than a straight.

If you're still struggling with cuts, the best advice I can give is:

- slow it down
- ensure your lather is rich and slick (rehydrate it frequently)
- keep angle low
- keep pressure light

Slick lather is massive in SR shaving IMO. Increasingly I feel it's an essential precondition for good technique.

When you do get a nick, alum block and / or styptic pencil are very useful.

It sounds as if you've taken a thoughtful approach to progressing your skill on the AC SS.

Yes you can get a lovely shave off an AC SR (have never used a DX so can't comment but I'm sure they're great too). I found that I needed even more focus when using the SR, it is just more positive and will cut both hair and skin more readily. All the advice above applies, just more so. But it's worth the effort, when you get it right it's magic. I've gone back to my AC SS kami for the vast majority of my shaves, but if I had an SR kami it would probably be used the most - I head shave, and I find kami razors are better for this.

Before you get an SR, it might be worth seeing how you go with Pro Super blades in the SS. This will give a more positive shave, and might help you prepare for the transition to an SR or similar.
I agree on slickness. I started with straights and several popular soaps didn't cut it. Tallow based Tabac fit my bill perfectly.my weck shavers still are harder to use than my straights partly due to an old powerlifting elbow injury. A dx Kami would probably be better for me. Now is a copy to try or the real thing lol

Top Bottom