What's new

Feather AC SS vs. Backland Vector vs. Timeless .68 - YMMV... mine varied immensely!

Late night ramblings and first world problems:

I haven't been shaving for 5 days and in my case this is the "danger zone" (scroll down for that Top Gun nostalgia). This is when the stubble gets so coarse and dense and hard to shave, I'd be better off growing a beard (God forbid!)

And so... I said to myself "let me try smth. I haven't used in a looooong while". I took out my Feather AC SS, loaded it with a fresh Feather Pro Super blade. I also lined up my Vector, loaded with a fresh Feather SoftGuard blade. Finally, there was my latest acquisition (and current favorite razor) SS Timeless .68 SCL, loaded with (you guessed) fresh King C Gillette blade.

Feather AC SS - WTG, down my right cheek. PAINFUL, harsh, tugging and pulling hair like crazy. I went super shallow, I went a half the spine width, I went spine width, I went 30 frickin degrees... all to no avail, it was PAIN, plain and simple. So I rinsed the razor and put it away.

Vector - not as bad, but similar - tugging and pulling, inflicting pain, instead of smooth shave.

Timeless - I was worried the mild .68 gap razor won't be able to cut through a 5-day tick, dense and coarse growth. WTH, it cut effortlessly, it was a pure joy to use, producing that typical high-pitch Timeless sound, as it plowed through the hair.

So, I finished the first pass WTG and went on to complete my usual routine, WTG, ATG, ATG. Glass smooth BBS, zero irritation.

So, it made me wonder... is it smth. about these AC blades that makes it harder to cut long stubble...? IDK, it really got me puzzled, as I've been using the Vector extensively and loved it. I've also used my Feather AC SS with much success in the past. How and ever, side by side comparison proved it was OH SO much easier to use a DE to get the job done, with much less effort and much more pleasure throughout the shave.

1630618621937.png

Good question. Honestly IDK.

Logically, I don't see why would I bias myself against my other gear, but I am undoubtedly enjoying the Timeless more.

I’m looking to expand my horizons beyond the Vector, searching for a DE. A Henson is on order; if that doesn’t work out, it’ll be a choice between the Tatara Masamune or your Timeless in titanium.

hmm... I remember my Fatip tugging on 3+ days growth. Feather SS would some, but not too badly (first shave or two on a new blade could feel harsh, regardless of any other factor). full hollow straights on a JNAT edge would too.

Gem 1912 or MMOC had the least tugging.

1/4 hollow straight was/is the best of all the long beard shaves for me.

The Timeless 0.68 SB is an awesome mild++ razor. It gets through my hedgerow beard pretty well, but not as easy as the Vector in any of the plate/blade combinations I use. Both razors are highly smooth. :)
I think that it might've been this particular blade. Actually, I'm sure, as the Soft Guard is ultra-mild, designed for women/light growth... I should've loaded the Vector with the same Pro Super instead (like I normally do).

So, let's say that one is a not a mystery any more.

OTOH, the Feather AC SS still has me scratching my head... Why, OH WHY... it didn't cut!

The Timeless 0.68 OC is my travel razor. I sold all my other DE razors shortly after buying it. It’s a great shaver. I mostly use SR now but for travel you can’t beat the convenience and compact nature of a DE. The razor is robust and always does the job.

A3BCFD29-60EE-4DCB-87E8-C1F28FE0B75F.jpeg

The Vector takes things up a notch in terms of comfort and closeness. This bad boy gives the most effortless BBS I’ve ever experienced. The design is a bit fragile for travel and the blade changes are fiddly but the shave makes it worth the effort. Apart from these two it’s all SR’s in my den. I have no plans to part with either one of them.

C381FBC0-46BA-40A3-A513-348D288BC9CE.jpeg

The Timeless 0.68 OC is my travel razor. I sold all my other DE razors shortly after buying it. It’s a great shaver. I mostly use SR now but for travel you can’t beat the convenience and compact nature of a DE. The razor is robust and always does the job.

View attachment 1321896

The Vector takes things up a notch in terms of comfort and closeness. This bad boy gives the most effortless BBS I’ve ever experienced. The design is a bit fragile for travel and the blade changes are fiddly but the shave makes it worth the effort. Apart from these two it’s all SR’s in my den. I have no plans to part with either one of them.

View attachment 1321897
Much the same for me @Tomo, except the straits that is... that'll have to wait another 20 or so years. I just don't have the required patience and nerve for the maintenance rituals. I'm sure I'd ruin a delicate edge of a SR by merely glancing at it, let alone strop or hone or whatever you guys tend to do with them 😂 😂

I haven't been shaving for 5 days and in my case this is the "danger zone" (scroll down for that Top Gun nostalgia). This is when the stubble gets so coarse and dense and hard to shave, I'd be better off growing a beard (God forbid!)

And so... I said to myself "let me try smth. I haven't used in a looooong while". I took out my Feather AC SS, loaded it with a fresh Feather Pro Super blade. I also lined up my Vector, loaded with a fresh Feather SoftGuard blade. Finally, there was my latest acquisition (and current favorite razor) SS Timeless .68 SCL, loaded with (you guessed) fresh King C Gillette blade.

Feather AC SS - WTG, down my right cheek. PAINFUL, harsh, tugging and pulling hair like crazy. I went super shallow, I went a half the spine width, I went spine width, I went 30 frickin degrees... all to no avail, it was PAIN, plain and simple. So I rinsed the razor and put it away.

Vector - not as bad, but similar - tugging and pulling, inflicting pain, instead of smooth shave.

Timeless - I was worried the mild .68 gap razor won't be able to cut through a 5-day tick, dense and coarse growth. WTH, it cut effortlessly, it was a pure joy to use, producing that typical high-pitch Timeless sound, as it plowed through the hair.

So, I finished the first pass WTG and went on to complete my usual routine, WTG, ATG, ATG. Glass smooth BBS, zero irritation.

So, it made me wonder... is it smth. about these AC blades that makes it harder to cut long stubble...? IDK, it really got me puzzled, as I've been using the Vector extensively and loved it. I've also used my Feather AC SS with much success in the past. How and ever, side by side comparison proved it was OH SO much easier to use a DE to get the job done, with much less effort and much more pleasure throughout the shave.

View attachment 1321646

I have both the Vector and the SS. If my prep is not on point, or if the blade has some use i get some tugging, but the skin is much better off then if i use a de for daily shaves.
I find it helps to lead with the toe (not with a new blade) when i use the SS. I do the same with the Vector, sort a angled approach, leading with one end. Do not blame me if you get cut though.
For me they can tug a little on the first pass, but the second pass is smooth sailing.

Much the same for me @Tomo, except the straits that is... that'll have to wait another 20 or so years. I just don't have the required patience and nerve for the maintenance rituals. I'm sure I'd ruin a delicate edge of a SR by merely glancing at it, let alone strop or hone or whatever you guys tend to do with them 😂 😂
You’re not missing out on much. These are two very capable razors.

View attachment 1321646

Great comparison!!

My only question, ’Are you on the Timeless payroll?’ If not, then you should be! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Great comparison!!

My only question, ’Are you on the Timeless payroll?’ If not, then you should be! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:
Nope, I'm not, but honestly... I've been so impressed and so happy with it so far.

That said, I was a MUCH bigger Vector fan-boy / enabler... and what do you know... this thing comes and dethrones it and I'm back to DE as my preferred choice (vs. SE, that I so zealously bragged about for months).

Perhaps your whiskers were dehydrated and by the time you reached for the Timeless they had absorbed more moisture?
Nope... I had a LOOONGER than usual face-prep, thorough wash with PAA Cube, rinsing with lots of warm water, followed by thorough double-lathering. I might not be an expert-shaver, but my face-prep is second to none, I can tell you that.

Nope, I'm not, but honestly... I've been so impressed and so happy with it so far.

That said, I was a MUCH bigger Vector fan-boy / enabler... and what do you know... this thing comes and dethrones it and I'm back to DE as my preferred choice (vs. SE, that I so zealously bragged about for months).

Your presence in the Vector Fanboy club will be missed. [emoji22][emoji38]

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@sarir97 , you and I are risk of becoming dyed-in-the-wool Schickheads. And that’s when Blackland will release their ERA platform and drag us all back

Top Bottom