What's new

Feather AC SS vs. Backland Vector vs. Timeless .68 - YMMV... mine varied immensely!

@sarir97 , you and I are risk of becoming dyed-in-the-wool Schickheads. And that’s when Blackland will release their ERA platform and drag us all back

Not so fast… had my third shave with the Schick today and had more witch hazel stinging in the neck area than I’m used to with the Vector. The I1 is also quite inefficient; for the stinging would have expected BBS but still had residual stubble…. DFS at best.

hmm... I remember my Fatip tugging on 3+ days growth. Feather SS would some, but not too badly (first shave or two on a new blade could feel harsh, regardless of any other factor). full hollow straights on a JNAT edge would too.

Gem 1912 or MMOC had the least tugging.

1/4 hollow straight was/is the best of all the long beard shaves for me.

I use Super Pros exclusively for my explanation.

I think that it might've been this particular blade. Actually, I'm sure, as the Soft Guard is ultra-mild, designed for women/light growth... I should've loaded the Vector with the same Pro Super instead (like I normally do).

OTOH, the Feather AC SS still has me scratching my head... Why, OH WHY... it didn't cut!

A. "well there's your problem"

B. on the SS, I shave 99% of the time with a straight. I'll go 6-12 months without touching the SS, leaving a blade in for potentially years and have no issues other than it takes me a few shaves to get back to perfect technique with one for me, plus the first shave on a new blade being harsh and needing to mellow into #3/4 through 20 something. I still vote too steep an angle, maybe too much pressure on your part. never go steep with a straight/shavette. maybe a bad blade, but I can't say I've encountered one. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: ok, super stupid question, but did you possibly load the SS blade upside down, or not well seated? dumber things have happened. to me too.

I use Super Pros exclusively for my explanation.

A. "well there's your problem"

B. on the SS, I shave 99% of the time with a straight. I'll go 6-12 months without touching the SS, leaving a blade in for potentially years and have no issues other than it takes me a few shaves to get back to perfect technique with one for me, plus the first shave on a new blade being harsh and needing to mellow into #3/4 through 20 something. I still vote too steep an angle, maybe too much pressure on your part. never go steep with a straight/shavette. maybe a bad blade, but I can't say I've encountered one. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: ok, super stupid question, but did you possibly load the SS blade upside down, or not well seated? dumber things have happened. to me too.
I'had been using my AC SS for years, it wasn't the first time.. It was the first time after many months of hiatus, but I did not forget how to operate it. Anyways, it's back in the drawer, this time probably for another 6 months or a year or who knows...

I'had been using my AC SS for years, it wasn't the first time.. It was the first time after many months of hiatus, but I did not forget how to operate it. Anyways, it's back in the drawer, this time probably for another 6 months or a year or who knows...

yeah, just trying to troubleshoot, not lay blame

The Timeless 0.68 OC is my travel razor. I sold all my other DE razors shortly after buying it. It’s a great shaver. I mostly use SR now but for travel you can’t beat the convenience and compact nature of a DE. The razor is robust and always does the job.

View attachment 1321896

The Vector takes things up a notch in terms of comfort and closeness. This bad boy gives the most effortless BBS I’ve ever experienced. The design is a bit fragile for travel and the blade changes are fiddly but the shave makes it worth the effort. Apart from these two it’s all SR’s in my den. I have no plans to part with either one of them.

View attachment 1321897
The Timeless Titanium 0.68 is my travel razor. Smooth with no worries. I pair it with a Feather blade for three shaves and then replace the blade. I have rarely enjoyed a Feather after three shaves. I prefer a number of other blades to the Feather except in the Timeless.

My everyday razor is a Blackland Tradere SB. For me it takes a little more care than the Timeless but rewards with a more efficient shave. I shave daily and cannot speak to how either would handle five day stubble because I have not gone past 2 day stubble in more than 25 years and have not missed a day in more than 3 years.

Last edited:
The last time I had 4-5 days growth my Ti95DC was the ticket loaded with a Shark SC using the OC side for the WTG pass and the SB for the ATG pass with the usual 2 pass BBS result I've grown accustomed to since first picking it up!!

For The Win...
Ti95DC.jpg

Top Bottom