What's new

Feather AC Shavette + Feather AC blade: how many shaves per blade?

How many shaves per blade?

• Total voters

Eben Stone

Staff member
With either my Feather AC SS or SR, and either Feather Pro or Pro Super blades, I can get only 4 shaves per blade max. The 4th shave is tuggy.

That is a lot less that expected. I assumed I was doing something wrong, but I get 7-10 shaves using Schick Prolines which seems more reasonable.

I'm running a pole because I'm curious to know what the average is by the members here. I'm allowing multiple choices, so in case your max varies, lets say your max shaves per blade is between 3-5 then please choose 3, 4 and 5.

I stop at 15. It's however possible to go longer as a month if you strop the blade (there was a thread about that years back, some guys wanted to go as far as possible but everyone got bored in the end). I have to admit that when I first started shaving with these blades I also got a lot less uses out of one.

AC blade is not for me. Not pricewise nor shavewise. I can get ca 6 so-so shaves with Feather Pro vs. ca 16 shaves (good ones) with Rubie or Wilkie half(!)-blade.

@Eben Stone - when I started with the Feather Pro AC blade in the Occam's razor I was getting only 4-5 shaves, now I answered 7 for your poll, as I'm up to averaging 7-10 shaves. With the Feather DX, SR and SS, seems about 7-10 too. Sorry, I don't record usage other than on my SOTD posts. I tend to change to change the blade earlier than some.

I get 7 good shaves from Pro Guard blade and 8-10 shaves from Feather Professional blade.

For me the difficult part is finding the sweet spot when the laden gets dull enough to lose the efficiency and starts needing a bit more pressure to shave.

I'm still very new to the SE razors, so I may be off about the number of shaves we are supposed to be getting.

Ps: I shave every alternate day with the SE razor.
I have Dense, tough but not overly tough beard with good coverage area.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I only use my Feather AC DX at most once per month with a Feather Professional blade. When I change the blade it is not because it is not performing, but instead simply because it has been in use for so long even if only for a few uses. If the blade is six months old or more then I change it.

When I started using my Feather SS, I was getting about 5-6 good shaves with Feather Pro-Guard Blades. But after about 3 months of usage and experience, I am getting about 10 or more very good shaves from Feather Pro-Super blades. Also, I am getting a bit more juice out of them when I am using them in Feather AC DX. Both my SS and DX are folding models.
Well, that's my experience but YMMV is always there😃

I usually get at least 14 shaves, often times 20+. This is mostly doing a two-pass shave with touch-ups, after face lathering for at least two minutes to get well hydrated. The blade does start to degrade slowly after 4-7 shaves but can perform well for at least 20 shaves if I take care of the razor (good face prep and not leaving any soap residue behind on the blade).

Unlike most shavers I do not consider a small amount of tug to be a reason to change out the blade. I almost like a tiny bit of tug, not something ever present but lurking in the background as I consider it part of the feedback loop of optimizing the blade angle, razor speed, and pressure. I change the blade when it is no longer cutting without the temptation to use more pressure. Feeling the blade engage the whiskers just as they are being cut is just about ideal.

As another comparison point, I felt that a Feather AC blade with over a dozen shaves still felt sharper than a new unbranded Chinese blade that came with an AliExpress clone that I bought some time ago. The AliExpress blade would cut but was very rough and tuggy feeling in comparison to a Feather blade that was well used and ready to be changed.

I usually get at least 14 shaves, often times 20+. This is mostly doing a two-pass shave with touch-ups, after face lathering for at least two minutes to get well hydrated. The blade does start to degrade slowly after 4-7 shaves but can perform well for at least 20 shaves if I take care of the razor (good face prep and not leaving any soap residue behind on the blade).

Unlike most shavers I do not consider a small amount of tug to be a reason to change out the blade. I almost like a tiny bit of tug, not something ever present but lurking in the background as I consider it part of the feedback loop of optimizing the blade angle, razor speed, and pressure. I change the blade when it is no longer cutting without the temptation to use more pressure. Feeling the blade engage the whiskers just as they are being cut is just about ideal.

As another comparison point, I felt that a Feather AC blade with over a dozen shaves still felt sharper than a new unbranded Chinese blade that came with an AliExpress clone that I bought some time ago. The AliExpress blade would cut but was very rough and tuggy feeling in comparison to a Feather blade that was well used and ready to be changed.

I've just binned all the Aliexpress Feather clones, not interested in trying them because I've seen very consistent reviews of them being dull and rough. I have enough Feather, Kai, and Schick blades anyway.

I seem to be getting around 10-15 per blade depending on which type I use.

I've had my DX for a couple of months now and I've only tried the Feather super pro, which I find sublime. FWIW, I got 33 shaves out of my first one. The second one has only 8 uses so far and it barely started to mellow out.

Last edited:
I stop at 15. It's however possible to go longer as a month if you strop the blade (there was a thread about that years back, some guys wanted to go as far as possible but everyone got bored in the end). I have to admit that when I first started shaving with these blades I also got a lot less uses out of one.
Do you strip the blade while still on the razor?

I use the Feather kamisori style razor, but haven’t enjoyed any of their blades. I have not yet tried the Professionals. The Kai Pinks work like a charm for me- maybe 10 shaves per blade. I do two WTG passes and then finish with my Feather DE, in which I use Feather DE blades.

Top Bottom