What's new

Feather AC Blades Recommendations

I have the following disposable straights:
Feather Artist Club DX
Kai Captain
Feather Artist Club SS
Greager CJB Feather AC Clone

I previously had a CJB and Feather Artist Club RG

Which blades do you recommend? Which are better in a specific razor?

I have the following:
Feather Professional
Feather ProGuard
Schick Proline P-20
NRK Kamisori
Dorco

I have the following on order:
Feather Professional Light Blade
Kai Captain Titan Mild
Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG

I only previously have experience with the Proguard's

proxy.php

proxy.php

My recommendation is to try all the combinations -- razors and blades. There are so many variables, most importantly your face, that the principle of YMMV applies.

I've got a Feather AC RG since 2009 and prefer the Feather Pro Guard blades. Very close shave, so close and comfortable, thick whiskers, shave every other day. Folks use all types depending on their comfort and closeness... YMMV.

I use Feather Pro in all 3 of my razors that hold that size blade. I've tried others, but they are the best for me.

I am all for experimentation of different blades in the different razors. That said if you are in the beginning stages and still developing your technique, meaning you have less than 50 AC/straight shaves under your belt I might recommend using only the ProGuard and Super Professional (which you do not have) to start out.

My reason for focusing on those two blades are:
1) ProGuard offers an extra level of safety from nicks, so is a good choice when starting out and can be used long term if you like. Since it is the standard size blade it is arguably the best one to use while to "dial in" your shave angle and then later on try the Schick and Kai. I read other members comment positively on the Kai PINK (not sure if that is what you have) and the Schick about how they are smoother than the standard Feather Professional blade. Personally I have ordered the Schick Proline but have not used them yet as my existing Feather blade(s) have not needed changing out since I have received them.

2) The extra exposure of the Feather Super Pros can make it easier to shave in some spots. After a 5+ year hiatus from using my AC straight I decided to pick it up again. Years ago I had reached the point where I could get decent shaves with my Kai and Feather RG but at that time I mostly wanted to pursue traditional straights and ran out of time in the morning routine for the AC so I set it aside all those years.
The first blade I tried when going back this year was the Super Pro. It worked especially well on the neckline by essentially laying the blade holder flat and shaving without irritation. The natural curve of the neckline combined with the extra exposure worked well for me. If you read other posts over the years you might find conflicting reports about this blade such as - it is "best blade to mimic a traditional straight" or it is "scary sharp" as if it is sharper than the other AC blades. I do not think it is any more or less sharp but it does require a different shave angle.
After using a couple of SuperPro blades I tried a regular Professional blade and found that I had to adjust my technique. Not a big adjustment, but I was shocked after the first pass of my first Pro blade shave to see how much stubble had been left behind due to using a too shallow angle. After increasing the angle a little the Pro worked as well as the SuperPro. In some ways the slightly higher angle needed by Pro blade (which should apply to all of your blades) made the razor easier to maneuver over the whole face. Though I still like the SuperPro in some spots.

Your quest is to find what can work well for you.

One thing I can say, that I’ve said repeatedly in the past—-the more you use your Feather EXCLUSIVELY the better your shave results will be. Feathers are awesome razors, but require a technique all their own. They are stupendously sharp, and thus can cut whiskers with ZERO pressure. They also REQUIRE zero pressure otherwise they will give weepers or worse...Commit to using the Feather for a full month, no razor rotation.
You will also notice a performance arc for each new blade you put in—-shave #1 is the most unforgiving, ultra-sharp. Shaves 2-3 mellow considerably. Shaved 4-12 (for me) are the smoothest and most comfortable. I found they shaved quite well up till about 15 shaved or so. Pop in a new blade and repeat.

I found the SuperPros to be like shaving with a light saber. Awesome, but requires your full attention. My faves are the KAI Titan PINKs. Ultra sharp, but a bit more forgiving than any of the Feather offerings.

See what works best for you. Enjoy!

I am all for experimentation of different blades in the different razors. That said if you are in the beginning stages and still developing your technique, meaning you have less than 50 AC/straight shaves under your belt I might recommend using only the ProGuard and Super Professional (which you do not have) to start out.

My reason for focusing on those two blades are:
1) ProGuard offers an extra level of safety from nicks, so is a good choice when starting out and can be used long term if you like. Since it is the standard size blade it is arguably the best one to use while to "dial in" your shave angle and then later on try the Schick and Kai. I read other members comment positively on the Kai PINK (not sure if that is what you have) and the Schick about how they are smoother than the standard Feather Professional blade. Personally I have ordered the Schick Proline but have not used them yet as my existing Feather blade(s) have not needed changing out since I have received them.

2) The extra exposure of the Feather Super Pros can make it easier to shave in some spots. After a 5+ year hiatus from using my AC straight I decided to pick it up again. Years ago I had reached the point where I could get decent shaves with my Kai and Feather RG but at that time I mostly wanted to pursue traditional straights and ran out of time in the morning routine for the AC so I set it aside all those years.
The first blade I tried when going back this year was the Super Pro. It worked especially well on the neckline by essentially laying the blade holder flat and shaving without irritation. The natural curve of the neckline combined with the extra exposure worked well for me. If you read other posts over the years you might find conflicting reports about this blade such as - it is "best blade to mimic a traditional straight" or it is "scary sharp" as if it is sharper than the other AC blades. I do not think it is any more or less sharp but it does require a different shave angle.
After using a couple of SuperPro blades I tried a regular Professional blade and found that I had to adjust my technique. Not a big adjustment, but I was shocked after the first pass of my first Pro blade shave to see how much stubble had been left behind due to using a too shallow angle. After increasing the angle a little the Pro worked as well as the SuperPro. In some ways the slightly higher angle needed by Pro blade (which should apply to all of your blades) made the razor easier to maneuver over the whole face. Though I still like the SuperPro in some spots.

Your quest is to find what can work well for you.
++1 from me. Pro Guard best to learn. Super Pro best blade for the SS.

Can some one tell me the specific models of schick and Dorco models to look for?
Are there any Ebay sellers ?

Can some one tell me the specific models of schick and Dorco models to look for?
Are there any Ebay sellers ?
Schick are discontinued so only used or very NOS available. Schick Proline blades are available. Dorco produced blades but not the Kamisori handle, the Korean version is the CJB. This is rebadged as Greager in the US and is very good value.

tonight i used for the first time some feather AC super blades...tried them out in the vector razor.....first time in a few years i actually got some weepers...had to use the alum block which stung like crazy plus the styptic pen afterwards.

guess i got cocky after all these years.....this blade bites.

Top Bottom